IGNORED

Do I need a Degree in rear master cylinder

igya

I've spent the better part of the night trying to bleed these blasted rear brakes! Fluid will seep out all bleeders but will not build pressure. There's no telling how many brakes I've bled but this is the first that wore me completely out. I retired at 50 so I could spend my golden years riding...not bleeding brakes. Any suggestions? P-L-E-A-S-E.................

:crying:

Did you rebuild that caliper ?? Its possible one of the seals on the piston is leaking.

Did you try slowly pumping fluid in from the Caliper, toward the Master. If there is air in the system, this might force the air back up to the master and out.

Do the same from the front. Slowly each, and go back and forth between them.

Well--- its worth a try, can't hurt anything.

Did you rebuild that caliper ?? Its possible one of the seals on the piston is leaking.

Did you try slowly pumping fluid in from the Caliper, toward the Master. If there is air in the system, this might force the air back up to the master and out.

Do the same from the front. Slowly each, and go back and forth between them.

Well--- its worth a try, can't hurt anything.

Not a rebuild, and I've even tried the slow routine. This bike set up for about a year so maybe a seal has gone south. RATZ! I guess I was hoping someone knew a little trick that I might have missed. I'll bet you're right about the seal.

:95:

Charlie,

Bleeding the brakes can be a bear at times, I have had some done in 15 minutes and some have taken hours. I am assuming you know of the top bleeder by the steering head? Try to work that and see what happens, your other option is to use a mighty Vac bleeder system to try and pull the fluid through. I sure do wish i was closer and could give you a hand other than on the board.

Charlie,

Bleeding the brakes can be a bear at times, I have had some done in 15 minutes and some have taken hours. I am assuming you know of the top bleeder by the steering head? Try to work that and see what happens, your other option is to use a mighty Vac bleeder system to try and pull the fluid through. I sure do wish i was closer and could give you a hand other than on the board.

Steering head, huh? Nope, missed that one. I'll go look for it right now. Thanks!

Charlie, heres a picture of it...

Brad-figured out the problem with your 1st gen--- you're leaving tools stuck in it!!!!! I bet if you got all of 'em outta there, it'd be just fine!!!!!

Wish I had one of those bleeders on my 84,,,,,,,,,,,

Dan

Brad-figured out the problem with your 1st gen--- you're leaving tools stuck in it!!!!! I bet if you got all of 'em outta there, it'd be just fine!!!!!

Wish I had one of those bleeders on my 84,,,,,,,,,,,

Dan

Dan....If I'm not mistaken, you should have one of those bleeders on yours

:confused24:

Not a rebuild, and I've even tried the slow routine. This bike set up for about a year so maybe a seal has gone south. RATZ! I guess I was hoping someone knew a little trick that I might have missed. I'll bet you're right about the seal.

:95:

Iggy, what color is the fluid? Since the bike sat for a year you may have some sediment clogging one of the orfices. If the fluid looks like Guinness stout then its time to flush the system. I had a similar problem with my 83. It turned out to be a clogged orfice in the rear master cylinder. I had taken it apart to rebuild, however I never blew compressed air through it once apart. About midway in the cylinder there is a really tiny orfice that was clogged and prevented me from getting a pedal. Fluid did ooze from the bleeders but that was about all it did. And I also agree with the Mity-Vac. Good luck.

Brad, top bleeders didn't come on board till later, mine just has a juction block mounted to the neck below the handlebars. PIA to get in there and "crack a nut" (pun intended!) to get the air out. May look at a modification in the future.

Yammer, I DO love those speed bleeders, but not when your system is dry!! Air won't open the spring-loaded valves in them. Had to reinstall the regular ones till I got fluid to them.

Dan

Brad, top bleeders didn't come on board till later, mine just has a juction block mounted to the neck below the handlebars. PIA to get in there and "crack a nut" (pun intended!) to get the air out. May look at a modification in the future.

Yammer, I DO love those speed bleeders, but not when your system is dry!! Air won't open the spring-loaded valves in them. Had to reinstall the regular ones till I got fluid to them.

Dan

Never thought of that but they are great with a system that needs bubbles removed just have to pump it a while.