IGNORED

Checking Air Pressure in Forks

VegasVic

Love this site and this is my first post. I just bought a 2001 RSV, and there was no tool kit which came with it. I tried my digital air pressure guage to check, but it wouldn't even go on the valve stem. My air hose inflater/deflater went on, but showed 0psi. I'm not sure it opened the Schrader valve. Any thoughts?

On my 1st Gen, it's always been difficult to check pressure in the front forks. I use a regular dial pressure gage and it works, but I lose pressure every time I check it. So it's a real balancing act to measure, add air, measure again until I'm satisfied.

Today I bought a suspension pump at a bicycle shop. It is a low volume pump, with a dial pressure gage and a screw on inflating valve. Works well, and doesn't lose a lot of air when you disconnect. Mine was $35. You can find them on the internet.

Look at the suspension air fork balance kit on this page http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/search.jsp?store=Main&searchString=PROGRESSIVE&sort=priceasc

Then look for the progressive suspension air pump on this page http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/search.jsp?currentOffset=0&previousPageOffset=0&nextPageOffset=20&np=&searchString=PROGRESSIVE&store=Main&sort=priceasc&np=0&page=&limit=20&next.x=13&next.y=10. It will allow you to put air in small icrements with zero loss when removed. You can add olnly 7lbs. to the front forks, up to 50 on the rear. The air suspension comes with zero from the factory, you have to adjust for you ride. The balance kit makes it easy to get the same amount of air in both front forks.

Because the front forks have such low volume and pressure for air, you absolutely must have a gauge with a zero loss chuck to even check them (such as the Progressive shock pump with gauge). Realistically, there is no way to properly set the pressure with a separate pump and gauge - you need a combined unit. Do NOT try to add air with any compressor!

It is also absolutely critical to be CERTAIN that both forks are EXACTLY equal in pressure. Even a minor difference will affect the handling - not dangerous, but it is certainly noticeable that it just doesn't feel as confident. If in doubt, the best option is to just run with no air. This is the default factory setting and is absolutely fine for must riders and conditions. And in any conditions, it will be way better than having the pressure different in each fork.

Last comment - a balance kit certainly seems to be a good idea. But there have been about equal reports here from people who had real problems getting one fitted correctly and those that said they work great with no problems at all. Just FYI. I'd suggest you do a search for old posts before you decide what to do. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Have an air tank (about 5 gal. without compressor) that I used to fill at the local gas station, then recently bought a compressor.

I fill the tank to 6psi from the compressor then fill the front forks with it. High volume ratio so as long as the chuck on/chuck off is quick the front forks are equal and at the pressure I want.

On my 1st Gen, it's always been difficult to check pressure in the front forks. I use a regular dial pressure gage and it works, but I lose pressure every time I check it. So it's a real balancing act to measure, add air, measure again until I'm satisfied.

Today I bought a suspension pump at a bicycle shop. It is a low volume pump, with a dial pressure gage and a screw on inflating valve. Works well, and doesn't lose a lot of air when you disconnect. Mine was $35. You can find them on the internet.

Doesn't your class system work?

What is preasure is everyone running in there shocks? I was told by the sales guy at the dealer I shouldnt have to worry about adding any unless I haul a load and maybe put some in the rear. Mine is still what ever it was when I bought it and I am not sure if I should add any or not???

Go down to the nearest HD dealer, buy the (Touring Accessory) Suspension Air Pump (54630-03A) for $44. Best price, best deal. It won't let the air leak out. For most applications, 4lbs (first mark) in front shocks and 25lbs in rear shock. DO NOTE go over 7lbs in front shock, unless you want a large bill.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442292571&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309149264&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309149264&bmUID=1217685128893&bmLocale=en_US

What is preasure is everyone running in there shocks? I was told by the sales guy at the dealer I shouldnt have to worry about adding any unless I haul a load and maybe put some in the rear. Mine is still what ever it was when I bought it and I am not sure if I should add any or not???
Hi! I like to add up the total load I'm going to be running with the lop off the right number. eg 200 lbs, 20 psig in rear shock. 400 lbs, 40 psig in rear shock. I put 6 in the front and just leave it there. Keeps it from bottoming on hard braking.

Where in Indy. If we're ever in the same place at the same time I can show you the pumps I have for the suspension.

• 6 months later...