IGNORED

115 mph and room to go further...

Guest JGorom

Guest JGorom

Well I normally don't do this anymore...but I got on a nice slab of highway today where I could see for a few miles in front of me and few miles behind. Knowing on my ride home that I was going to change the oil I decided to heat it up a bit...so I took her up to 115 mph and she was gliding across the pavement like a skater on perfect ice. No wobbles and lots of throttle left. At 115 I decided to shut it down and let off the throttle...she was purring today like a kitten.

How high have you taken yours??? :bikersmilie:

Well, only 95 so far, but damn it was easy to get to there.

New Tires this week(Maxxis Classic), only then will I really push it some.

On a similar note, have been letting it rev like y'all said in another thread, wow! These suckers really like to rev.

Smoke a HD yesterday but, I don't think he was quite trying or, maybe he gave up easy.

115 is moving. Do you have the stock, giant wind-screen on still?

95 best that i do. Had more. Brother just got a HD Heritage softtail 2007 Guess i will find out how much more.

Treeman

Treeman, tell your brother to bring it on! You'll have him smoked in 3rd gear! My buddy won't mess with me anymore! Brian

Guest JGorom
Well, only 95 so far, but damn it was easy to get to there.

115 is moving. Do you have the stock, giant wind-screen on still?

I actually have the wider Yamaha full size height windshield...which is about 4 inches wider than stock and same height as stock. I also have the VMax rear gearing in my Venture and the K&N air filters. For me...she really gets up and goes from 80 to 110.

Buried the Speedo a little above 120 and got to 130 by the tach before I chickened out.

That's all it had in 5th and I had about 5 miles of straight flat asphalt to get it there. At the time I was running K&N's with RK pipes drilled all the way out.

Well I normally don't do this anymore...but I got on a nice slab of highway today where I could see for a few miles in front of me and few miles behind. Knowing on my ride home that I was going to change the oil I decided to heat it up a bit...so I took her up to 115 mph and she was gliding across the pavement like a skater on perfect ice. No wobbles and lots of throttle left. At 115 I decided to shut it down and let off the throttle...she was purring today like a kitten.

How high have you taken yours??? :bikersmilie:

I've buried the needle on mine a couple of times already, that's PAST 120 MPH!

When I rolled off the throttle, it took several seconds for the speedo to come off the peg and start showing 'de-acceleration'.. Scary? not really as the bike is very very well behaved at those speeds (riding on E3 tires).

The last time I buried the needle and gone as fast as stupidity would allow me, I counted to 10 mississipis (sp) before the needle reacted again.. Taking into consideration for reaction lag, the 8 to 10% error factor Japanese bikes have on speedo and speed (110 KPH real speeds shows 120 kph on my speedo), I have NO idea how fast this bike is going.

I honestly do not know if the Rev Limiter is actually working on this bike as I can't seem to force myself to bring the engine up to that high a rev to find out if there IS one or not. On my VStar, it's easy to find and comfortable to feel, knowing you have a lot of spare room before getting anywhere near damaging your engine. But on this 2006 Venture, I simply don't know where it is..

SO.. in first and second gear, how fast can you safely go and have the rev limiter kick in? In other words, if I find myself doing 50 mph in 1st gear, but the rev limiter is supposed to kick in at 35 mph, then I would know that I'm killing my engine as the rev limiter isn't working..

I mean, there *IS* a Rev Limiter on these bikes, right? I bought mine used from an elderly gent who didn't seem the type who would mod his bike outright like erhm *I* would..

BUT the story remains the same, ride safe, and if you ride stupid, make sure you sign your donor card.. ; )

Just keep it in first and crank on it till it starts to sputter. Not going to hurt a thing. I think that's around 35 or 40. I've done it a few times and I've finally learned about where it kicks in, by the sound, so I just take it up to the edge and then shift.

Rev limiter on mine (non corrected speedo) as follows

1 - 40 - 45

2 - 60

3 - 80

4 - somewhere over 110 haven't hit it yet

5 - way way faster than I can get this thing going

DIDO! And by that time the wifey is so far ahead on the Warrior I just give up.

Rev limiter on mine (non corrected speedo) as follows

1 - 40 - 45

2 - 60

3 - 80

4 - somewhere over 110 haven't hit it yet

5 - way way faster than I can get this thing going

Oh wow, seriously?! 1st gear to 40-45 MPH?!?! Geesus, I don't think I've taken it up to there in first.. I always thought I was over killing the engine (so used to V-Twins)

I'll be out for a boot and skoot tonight and will give it a try to see if I can reach the rev limiter..

I should also check see if the previous owner had a Dyna3000 in there too.. It's not that I'm afraid of taking the bike up to speed but simply not used to the 4 cylinder noises.. ; )

Thanks again for the info!

Never maxed this scoot ( '87 ) ... had her up to 190km (118mph) but it's a wee bit unstable over 170 (105mph). My '85 was extremely stable and I buried the needle on it a few times (whatever that was) ... I'm guessing around 220 or better (136mph).

Never maxed this scoot ( '87 ) ... had her up to 190km (118mph) but it's a wee bit unstable over 170 (105mph). My '85 was extremely stable and I buried the needle on it a few times (whatever that was) ... I'm guessing around 220 or better (136mph).

HMMMM you should harness some of that speed for good instead of evil and put it into distance so we could see you down at Venture west in a few days. :backinmyday:LOL!

Everyone s from CA is going to miss you this year.

Brian