IGNORED

Sheepskin Seat Covers, Part Deux

Two Tone White

In the few short weeks I've been a member here, I've learned about many things I previously never knew regarding my Venture. Included in that category are items which make the trip more comfortable. A few days ago, I read a thread about seat covers in this Bike Accessories section. I happened to be near my local IKEA yesterday and went in to take a look at the sheepskin pelts talked about in the previous thread. They have two sizes and two colors (white and gray). The larger size is $40 and the smaller is $20. The larger size is the perfect fit to cover the venture seat, front to back and perfectly drapes over the sides just enough. I took off the top bracket of my Utopia backrest and made measurements for a slit. A few seconds later after a slit from an exacto knife, the base nub of the backrest poked through and I re-attached the top. Looks good. In the back, I tucked the couple of inches of leftover material between the seat and the trunk. Seems nice and tight. Between me sitting on it, the backrest keeping it in place, tucking it in and either luggage or my girlfriend sitting on the rear seat, I think it's pretty secure. I am heading out for a ride shortly and I'll let you know if I notice an increase in comfort and how well it worked.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I put the 40$ one from Ikea on my 97 RSTD and it fits perfect (on my buts too).

Is the best money used for. Same day it rained a lot, and I was lucky with that one, since the 20$ doesn't support to get wet.

It still seems like new.

Regards,

:banana::banana::banana:

I got one while at Int'l rallly this year and I love it. I did the same thing, cut a hole for the backrest and it doesn't move around 1up or 2 up.

1 ? though, what is the best kind of brush to use when it gets matted down??????

I'm still working on that. The light weight cat fur brush we have is not working to revive my old sheep skin. I'll have to find a course wire fur brush. Also, our local Alpaca fur shop suggests using baby powder to help clean and refresh Alpaca furs. My guess is that would work for sheep skins as well.

My wife picked up a stronger wire fur brush today. It's for large dogs. I sprinkled some baby powder on the sheep skin and started brushing. My old matted down sheep skin is now like new. I have a large black Saddle Bum fitted sheep skin. After brushing it out and then shaking it a bit you would never know I put white baby powder on it. The powder lubricates the fur so it brushes easier and the mattes and tangles come out easier.

BTW: Saddle Bum vanished from the world a year ago or more.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife picked up a stronger wire fur brush today. It's for large dogs. I sprinkled some baby powder on the sheep skin and started brushing. My old matted down sheep skin is now like new. I have a large black Saddle Bum fitted sheep skin. After brushing it out and then shaking it a bit you would never know I put white baby powder on it. The powder lubricates the fur so it brushes easier and the mattes and tangles come out easier.

BTW: Saddle Bum vanished from the world a year ago or more.

Well, We did 500 miles last weekend and it didn't take long for my sheep skin to be flattened down and rather pointless. I think I made need a new one.