GlennTuc

I was considering installing a headlight modulator for visibility and was wondering what other opinions were. Beings what we seem to be an opinionated group sometimes (Ha):big-grin-emoticon:, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on getting one.

Thanks,

Glenn

There was actually a LONG thread about this somewhere. A lot of positive and negative opinions. Personally, I have one and love it. There was a time when just having your headlight on was enough. None of the cars at that time had daytime running lights so your light on made you stand out. Now with so many cars using the daytime running lights, just having a light on is no longer effective. I am convinced that the modulator helps get me noticed.

I dont think I would ride without one anymore. Since they started with the daytime running lamps people just dont notice lights anymore but the modulation seems to get attention. Ive had a few people say to me that something is wrong with my headlamp but it only shows that they saw it and thats all you can hope for. Funny think is even a few LEOs dont realize they are legal for bikes so if you install one you should carry a copy of the law so that they will see it in writing if they dont know it anyway. The law permitting them for bikes is Fed so it supersedes local laws.

I ain't got no opinions - nope, none.

And I ain't got no stinkin headlight flasher. Can't stand 'em, don't want 'em. Nope. Might as well just slip a big pair of boxer shorts with pink hearts on 'em over your windshield! It'll do the same thing, but I ain't gonna do that either!

See, no opinions at all...

Goose

A guy here at work said they may not be legal here in this state (KY). Do ya know anything about the legality of running a modulator? Hey Goose, my wife says those drawers you're talking about probably would not be legal on my windshield, and I certainly could not wear them around the house.

I'm not convinced that they do any real good. Since most cagers don't know they exist or what they're for, I say primarily all they do is create confusion. The other guy doesn't need any more of that. Many of them are confused enough already.

I would not ride without mine again. If it burns out, I will get another one. It is quite a feeling to see some cager coming out of his driveway and suddenly sees my flashing light. His brakes come on in a hurry even if he had lots of time to get out safely.....most still wait for me to go by.

Others in front of me will just pull off the side of the road to let me go by....luv it.

:thumbsup:

After reading the long older thread with all the pros and cons I decided to go for one. I got a SDC Diamond Star unit. Even got it at a good price used on E Bay. Each time you start the bike (in day light) it's on. I can turn it off just by flipping the headlight switch to the other beam and back quickly. Can also pick one of two flash rates blipping the horn twice. If it's off and you honk the horn it goes back to flashing for a short time. There is also something about if you have the headlight burn out it will switch power to the other beam immediately. Seemed like a nice bunch of features. The sun is still low when I head off to work. I think it would be distracting possibly turning on and off in the long shadows so I turn it off in the morning and it's easy enough to do.

So far I have had 4 ignorant drivers pull to the side and let me by. That is sort of fun but two have them were also too ignorant to use turn signals and it's a bit of a worry not knowing what they are doing. Overall I like it, if it ever quit I'd get another.

Jerry

I like that Goose, I don't have an opinion either.

I just won't have a bike without one. If you're afraid you'll confuse someone, you might consider turning the headlight off completely... wouldn't want the single headlight to be mistaken for a far away car.

I use mine all the time... unless I'm not lead in a group ride... but, like Goose, I have no opinion.

I don't own a pair of boxers as describe in that post, so no comment there.