IGNORED

Engine swap from 1200 to 1300 problems?

igya

My Venture is a 1985 and I'd like to swap out the 1200cc engine with a 1300cc from a 1988 Venture. Are there any issues that would prevent the newer engine from working out OK? I think you all know why................

2nd gear :headache:

I'm not positive, but I dont believe that there will be any problems as the motor is a direct bolt in. The carbs from your 1200 might be an issue, I know some others will chime in on that. The electronic should all be the same too as it is an '85, the '83 had a different TCI if I'm not mistaken. Hang tight I know there will be other that will chime in, I know it has been sucessfully done.

BTW.....Welcome to the club!

Put some solid mounts in there while you're at it. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Dan

I'm not sure what you mean by "solid mounts." What kind of difference are you talking about?

Solid motor mounts. There are 6 of them. Go to the Blue Mountain Sportbike ad at the top of the page when it comes up, they have the solid Delrin mounts. It stiffens up the chassis to make your bike handle better.

Squeeze Probably has some more "technical"(!!) stuff he could tell you about the mounts and how they work.

Dan

My Venture is a 1985 and I'd like to swap out the 1200cc engine with a 1300cc from a 1988 Venture. Are there any issues that would prevent the newer engine from working out OK? I think you all know why................

You might try getting hold of Gone14S here on the board. He just installed an '88/1300 that I sold him in his '84VR. From what what I gather he just swapped out the motor and kept everything..carbs, electical... off the '84. He ended up with one very nice '84....

You might try getting hold of Gone14S here on the board. He just installed an '88/1300 that I sold him in his '84VR. From what what I gather he just swapped out the motor and kept everything..carbs, electical... off the '84. He ended up with one very nice '84....

Great! How would I go about getting in touch with GONE14S?

Great! How would I go about getting in touch with GONE14S?

This board has a feature called a Private Message..PM.. Look up his name in the members list and leave him a message. He'll get it the next time he logs on.

This board has a feature called a Private Message..PM.. Look up his name in the members list and leave him a message. He'll get it the next time he logs on.

HEY! I bought me a good running, low mile, '87 1300 cc engine for $340. I'm gonna go ahead and smoke the 1200 until 2nd gear cogs blow through the cases.....and just laugh about it! Now I can worry about other thing for awhile. Thanks for all your help guys!!!

HEY! I bought me a good running, low mile, '87 1300 cc engine for $340. I'm gonna go ahead and smoke the 1200 until 2nd gear cogs blow through the cases.....and just laugh about it! :Laugh: Now I can worry about other thing for awhile. Thanks for all your help guys!!!

:thumbsup2:

HEY! I bought me a good running, low mile, '87 1300 cc engine for $340. I'm gonna go ahead and smoke the 1200 until 2nd gear cogs blow through the cases.....and just laugh about it! Now I can worry about other thing for awhile. Thanks for all your help guys!!!

So what did you do, buy another one??. Your original post said you had an '88 you were going to install....

I'll give you 100 bucks for the motor, don't blow it up!!! 'Cause when you stick that 1300 in your 84, I'll have the 2nd gear fixed, then pull up next to ya, and blow yer doors off!:stickinouttounge:

Dan

Oh oh!! Here we go......:rotf::rotf:

I'll give you 100 bucks for the motor, don't blow it up!!! 'Cause when you stick that 1300 in your 84, I'll have the 2nd gear fixed, then pull up next to ya, and blow yer doors off!:stickinouttounge:

Dan

Maybe..................maybe not.

Dan

Maybe..................maybe not.

1200 Vs 1300

YUP, it will happen...............:080402gudl_prv:

1200 Vs 1300

YUP, it will happen...............:080402gudl_prv:

I don't get it. I can't see any way that a 1200 could be set up to blow a 1300 away, given the same is done with both. I'm a'thankin' the 1300 cams are a better start, never mind the higher compression ratio and extra CCs. Why would you think otherwise?

:Im not listening to

I don't get it. I can't see any way that a 1200 could be set up to blow a 1300 away, given the same is done with both. I'm a'thankin' the 1300 cams are a better start, never mind the higher compression ratio and extra CCs. Why would you think otherwise?

Time for Squeeze to step in and get technical.....

I think you got that one right, Condor. The 83's were the quickest out of the factory, 84 &85's the next quickest. CC's don't necessarily mean more power (350 small block versus standard 400 big block). Many items including cams, valve size, carburetion, TCI control, boost sensor operation all contribute to the effort.

Also, maybe not so much, is weight difference. MK1's have smaller bags, albeit not much, but can make a difference. 100 pounds on a car is worth a 1/10 of a second on the track.

I'm sure our resident techie Squeeze, will jump in here and 'splain the difference.

Dan

BTW, not bustin' your chops on this, Igya, just havin' some fun (OK Brad, I'm tryin'!!!). But I do know that you are able to tell the difference.

:Im not listening to

Slightly more mass to move internally (larger engine pistons), they played with the carbs & ignition systems some. The de-tuning begins with the Mk2 & even more with the 2nd gen.

If you haven't noticed, the Vmax was based on the Venture 1200 engine, stayed at 1200 for over 20 years, did not change it over to 1300, yet they could have done it.

Now if you really want that to fly, put a Vmax motor into it.:080402gudl_prv: