IGNORED

Engine swap from 1200 to 1300 problems?

igya

Slightly more mass to move internally (larger engine pistons), they played with the carbs & ignition systems some. The de-tuning begins with the Mk2 & even more with the 2nd gen.

If you haven't noticed, the Vmax was based on the Venture 1200 engine, stayed at 1200 for over 20 years, did not change it over to 1300, yet they could have done it.

Now if you really want that to fly, put a Vmax motor into it.:080402gudl_prv:

Okay, I think I'm beginning to get it now. There's too many experiences out there to compete with, considering this is my 1st Venture (into the unknown) so,........I bow to your :bowdown:explanation. But, you HAVE to admit that I have a stronger 2nd gear in the 13...don't ya? Please...? Time out! Let me go get a drink before you answer that one. I HAVE to believe I didn't throw $400 smackers away on a 1300 engine.

But, you HAVE to admit that I have a stronger 2nd gear in the 13...don't ya? Please...? Time out! Let me go get a drink before you answer that one. I HAVE to believe I didn't throw $400 smackers away on a 1300 engine.

The 2nd gear fix, is the same components, as was put into the Vmax & probably the Mk2 (1300). That is, after they figured out where they screwed up, in the first place. No you didn't throw $400 away, a lot will interchange just fine, compared to a 2nd gen engine.

:stirthepot: :2cents:

you may never blow the 2nd gear out of that '85. They were supposedly fixed after a certain VIN number. Can't remember what it is but mine is after that number. Sooooooo, did you waste your money on another motor? Guess you might never know, lol.

:sign isnt that spec

I think in an earlier post, he said it was before the cutoff #. They replaced the thrust washer and split clip with harder metal. Not sure if they changed parameters of 2nd/5th gear interchange any (deeper engagement).

I think in an earlier post, he said it was before the cutoff #. They replaced the thrust washer and split clip with harder metal. Not sure if they changed parameters of 2nd/5th gear interchange any (deeper engagement).

Here's a repeat of the ingo I received from another rider;

The serial number as per the service bulletin is

serial number 59J-000100 through 0001413 had the softer thrust washers as well as all 83 and 84 models.

The important part are the actual numbers....so the ~1413 was the last one with the soft washers. They started at ~000100 numbering the 85 builds. Yamaha built the 83, 84 and early 85 Ventures with these soft thrust washers, then after that, installed a harder washer to remedy the issue.

If you don't flog the bike...the 2nd gear issue might not show up till the 50,000 mile + range. Its a gradual thing, not a "yesterday it was fine, today it won't stay in 2nd" thing.

That is correct Igya. It's really not hard to fix, and it allows you to see how the mechanics of the motor & tranny interchange and allows you to learn more about how these fine beasts operate. When I did mine, it allowed me to repair/check/replace numerous o-rings, seals, gaskets, water pump etc. that really needed to be done while I had it out.

After it was done and back together, the feeling of having a virtually "bullet-proof" bike under my seat is very exhilerating. I don't worry anymore about jumping on it- literally and figuratively (that spelling s**ks!) anytime I want, and go anywhere I want.

Good luck with your bike,

Dan

• 1 month later...

The reason I'm doing the engine change is that #1 cylinder has a cracked cylinder wall caused by a major overheat out in the boondocks. The head-gasket blew....I changed that and shaved the head to straighten that but didn't notice the cracked cylinder. It's since been diagnosed as the engine pressurises the cooling system and loses coolant and overheats.

Anyhow, can I just re-sleeve that cylinder ? It'd be a good project to rebuild that engine, do the 2nd gear mod, and have good spare engine.

Jim O'D......