IGNORED

Carb Synk Question

Guest Dandy1

Guest Dandy1

I have stopped by 2 Yamaha Dealers to ask how much they charge to Synk the carbs. The first dealer says its a 30 minute job and will cost $20 TO $40. The second dealer says its a 1 1/2 hour job and will cost $80 to $120 and consist of fine tuning each carb and recommended they install a set of plugs while they have it there. I told them I put a new of plugs in it this spring along with K&N filters. He said the K&N's were a good thing but I definently needed to get the carbs synked since I did that.

Am I missing something? Is this a detailed job or and easy job? I want to get it done but don't know who to trust.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

the first quote sounds more realistic to me. I've only had carbs sync'd once and that was on my last scoot (the '85 VR) way back when I got it (around 2000). Seems to me it cost around your first quote figure at that time. Based on the time and current shop rates around here, that's pretty much in-line.

(just my 2 cents)

Speaking of which, what's the "normal interval" one should consider syncing the carbs? It's good if you have your own carb-sync tool...you can check it any time you want but when you've gotta take it to a dealer or get a buddie who has the sync tool, one would not want to be doing that every other day (so to speak).

I paid about $50 for a 4 carb sync tool (yeah, with mercury) but it takes about 20 minutes...

and once you have the tool, there's no more charges at the shop when you are just "wondering"... So for the cost of one trip to the shop...

I bought mine from my yamaha dealer and it was $100. It took me about 20 min. to sync the guage and 20 min. to sync all the carb on my 89VR. :thumbsup2:

Well after looking around the I found out the Morgan comes from the UK and I'm not really sure what 65 pounds is in US dollars but I'm sure the exchange ain't good. I found a motion Pro for $102.00 but it doesn't come with the 6mm adapters and I'm guessing that's what we need.

Well after looking around the I found out the Morgan comes from the UK and I'm not really sure what 65 pounds is in US dollars but I'm sure the exchange ain't good. I found a motion Pro for $102.00 but it doesn't come with the 6mm adapters and I'm guessing that's what we need.

I have the Motion Pro and you don't need the adapters. The hoses that come with it fit just fine.

I had it done by a friend of ours, it didn't take him 15 -20 minutes to the job. But what a differents it made, less lugging, starts better. The bike was almost 5yrs old with 23k on it, this was the first time that I had it done. Looking back I should have done it earlier.

:think:Don't have a clue what the dealer would do for 1 1/2hrs, one hour of that must have been on break. This guy is ripping you off.

Guest Dandy1

Thanks a bunch for the tips! I think I'll get my own synk tool and give it a try. I figured the second dealer was out to get me.

Ride Safe,

Dandy

Greetings...

Just for giggles, yesterday (crowded weekend store) I was at one of our local motorcycle accessory stealers and after rifling the entire overpriced store looking for parts and finding absolutely nothing worth the asking prices - asked them about a carb sync.

Specificly told him - Nothing else - Just a sync. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes and $40. He walked off into the back to 'consult' the mechanic... came back with "at LEAST an hour and a half of labor - AND parts - probably close to $300 - maybe a bit less - What year is your bike? An 89 Yamaha? OH! Well then, probably a bit more, we might have to special order..."

I just did one of those slow giggles to outright roaring spitting laughter while heading for the door carefully and obviously counting down my fingers with each step. Paused near the door and looked at all the customers glaring angrily at me, Bent over double in glee , and shouted across the store to the stealer -

"PARTS? SYNCING THE CARBS? BWAAAHAHAHHA!!! What? I have to buy the mechanic a new screwdriver TOO? He wants $300 plus to turn 3 screws! That's $100 A SCREW! - BWAHAHAHAH!!! "

"I know a Girl down at the pool hall who can do THAT for a hell of a lot less and she's a LOT prettier than you are - DUDE! and no doubt a lot less diseased - probably not even give me a reach around either...damn!"

I wish I'd had my camera ready - the look on his face, and the instant silence in the store was PRICELESS!! I saw a lot of the many waiting customers at the register looking down, reconsidering their purchases while climbing on my bike...

That's the second time I've counted down on him while heading for the door (10?,9?,8?,7?,6?,5?,4?,3?,2? -ONE! - Yep still got 'em all!)- I don't think he likes me in there any more. The first time was when he told me $150 + $45 for parts for an oil change a couple months back, and I asked him if he were high - because one of us would have to be...

I was kind of surprised that he didn't remember me!

I'm not really an attention whore - It's just that I'm not afraid to call a thief - A Thief to his face, even IF it means acting like one to do so. Besides - Life's too short to NOT squeeze every possible drop of dramatic entertainment out of a situation like that.

I'm all for Pavlovian, conditioned-response, feedback in the commercial retail environment. If they treat me like a moron - I'll treat them like a fool! Laughing at them the entire time. Hatred, disbelief, contempt, disgust, sure - but never anger. Thieves don't deserve anger.

:witch_brew:

I hate thieves - The last burgler I caught in my house, alive, got away with his job description carved into his forehead.

I mispelled it too, but I did apologize to him for screwing it up, before I curbed out his front teeth and properly disposed of him, hog-tied, in the dumpster in the alley - Gotta remember the IMPORTANT things - 'I' before 'E' Except after 'C'...

Edited by Kandaje