IGNORED

Want to lower my rpm by changing gears

Hey folks,

Here we go again! Sorry to trouble you, but I thought I had saved (subscribed) the thread where someone had changed the gears & /Or the rear end in a 1st Gen. As before my Goldwing at 75 MPH ran about 3,000 RPM, these Ventures run about 4,200.

Went by the Mama Yamahammer shop today here in Ft Smith and AK shop manager said he has heard of it done but never done it himself?!?!?!?!?! He has one friend that just changed out the rear drive from Venture with a Vmax. BUT here are the ratio's

Venture 1st gear 2.600

2nd gear 1.772

3rd gear 1.347

4th gear 1.068

and 5th gear .906 (deadly on the MPG on the interstates ORE over 65 MPH )

V Max 1st gear 2.529

2nd gear 1.772 **

3rd gear 1.347 **

4th gear 1.076

and 5th gear .0928 ???? I don't see anything that says we can go from 4,200 RPM to alot lower to get better MPG ?!?!?!?!? :confused07:

BOTH final drives are --- spar gears at 1.775 (not to up on all these numbers) :confused24:

Please, Help me here if I'm missing something. I don't see 31 MPG up to 45 here, ??. :confused:

OR if you know for SURE someone that has raised his ratio and LOWER his RPM please send me their email or link.

Love my Royale, but hate the MPG's. Someone mentioned last week to sysnc the carbs they have been done this year, also cleaned air filter, seafoam thru full tank of gas at interstate speeds (up N dwn), as before 40 MPG at 60-65 and BELOW, over 65 MPH,

31 - 38 depending on the headwinds!!! Last week drove in 25 - 30 mph headwind, 65-75, mostly 2 lanes, only 50 miles of interstate out to where the air could really beat me up, ran out of gas 4 miles from gas station, 31 MPG!!! :starz:

Wife loved that at 4:am, will never live that down

Thankx for ANY help or guidance you may give!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will get pic's of dream bike on site soon as I'm not real good at these computers. (thanks admin or ?? for the smileys)

Gary C

Arkansas

You can't lower the RpM by using a Vmax final Drive. But, i think you could probably have a Vmax final Drive already mounted. 4200 RpM at 75 mph seems a bit high to me. Rpm's should be around 3200-3400.

But other Members will chime in here and state their Facts.

You can't lower the RpM by using a Vmax final Drive. But, i think you could probably have a Vmax final Drive already mounted. 4200 RpM at 75 mph seems a bit high to me. Rpm's should be around 3200-3400.

On my '83VR I'm turning right around 4200rpm and 75-76mph. So it's about right on. What about taking a 2ndGen final and putting it in a 1stGen?? Will it fit after plugging the speedo hole??? One thing tho.... I'm getting 38-39mpg at freeway speeds and 2 weeks ago pulled 50mpg on an all day ride in mountain twisties..... I don't think dropping the RPM is going to make that much difference in gas milage. I think there's something else going on????

On my '83VR I'm turning right around 4200rpm and 75-76mph. So it's about right on. What about taking a 2ndGen final and putting it in a 1stGen?? Will it fit after plugging the speedo hole??? One thing tho.... I'm getting 38-39mpg at freeway speeds and 2 weeks ago pulled 50mpg on an all day ride in mountain twisties..... I don't think dropping the RPM is going to make that much difference in gas milage. I think there's something else going on????

1st Gen and 2Gen aren't different in final Drive Ratio, both are 9/33.

But i'm with you, it seems, there's something wrong with the Bike.

Had a V-Max rearend on my 89. At about 75 MPH it would run about 7,800 rpm. Ran regular gas got roughly 34 mpg mostly highway between 75 and 80 (indicated). Ran premium I would get about 37 same route every day.

Mountain ride, lower speeds, 2 up, got about 45mpg.

Had a V-Max rearend on my 89. At about 75 MPH it would run about 7,800 rpm. Ran regular gas got roughly 34 mpg mostly highway between 75 and 80 (indicated). Ran premium I would get about 37 same route every day.

Mountain ride, lower speeds, 2 up, got about 45mpg.

If Condor's say's the 4200 RpM sound about right, there's no Way that you might have 7,800 RpM at the same Speed. Because of the elevated Level, you should have around 4700 RpM at that Speed. When you calculate Speeds and gear Ratio's the different Ratios at a given Speed change the RpM for about 440.

I was going to say the same thing. I'm thinking that you made a typo. :)

I have a VMAX rear in my second gen. I run about 3700 RPM at 70 MPH in 5th gear. That is about 500 RPM higher than it ran with the stock rear and about 500 less than a first gen runs with a stock rear. I am very happy with it.

If Condor's say's the 4200 RpM sound about right, there's no Way that you might have 7,800 RpM at the same Speed. Because of the elevated Level, you should have around 4700 RpM at that Speed. When you calculate Speeds and gear Ratio's the different Ratios at a given Speed change the RpM for about 440.

Oh, sure, catch my the one mistake I've ever made, in my entire life, and make a huge deal out of it...

Don's right it was a typo. I meant 8,700 rpm, I mean, 0,078 rpm, I mean 4,700 rpm

There's a lot of areas that could effect MPG. Any vacuum leaks? Is the boost sensor working? Is the TCI sending out the right timing signal to the coils? Are the carb float levels all OK? Any leaks in the diaphrams?? How's compression?? Is the choke set too tight and not coming off all the way?? These are just a few things that come to mind....

I concur... mine is around 4200 @ 75mph yet my '85 would be closer to 3600 or somewhere around that so I'm thinking my rear end is from a vmax.

Ok...Ok... not "MY" rear end... the bike's!! geeez :rotf:

This winter I'll be putting in a 2nd Gen trans with vmax rear end in my 1st Gen I have the parts but dont want to do it now in summer. I'm looking for a quicker 1st gear and a taller final 5th gear and the 2nd Gen trans w/Vmax rear will give what I'm looking for. I'll report back when its finished. I'll be keeping solid track of my mileage and rpm's for given speed this summer with the original set up and compare it. My speedos off so I'll have to use GPS to give an accurate estimate.

Guest Brad25ca

I find the mpg on my '86 can be fairly random. I've got as high as 49 riding two up highway driving at the speed limit. But I did a charity ride the other day and topped out at abour 30mpg, lots of starting & stopping & hard on the throttle. Although I am getting spark in all cylinders, I don't think it's an efficiant spark. My plug wires look a but seedy, so I know I need to change them, that may make a difference.:fingers-crossed-emo

Hey, thanks for the reply's. Condor, as far as the carb's they were done early spring (?), will have to read up on the boost sensor and TCI don't have a clue what they are. Compressor is good, when you trn the key, I mean it stops then! But will put a tester on it when I have a chance, mine burned up in my shop fire in '03, haven't replaced all my tools yet.

Will get with Mama Yama and get the spec's on 2nd gen and see what the difference is on gears and rears.

Thanks again, if anything else comes to mind, let me know !!!!!!!!!!!! :lightbulb:

Gary C

Arkansas

Leave it as is, the motor was designed to give good milage at higher(than Gold Wing) RPMs. You ain't gonna hurt the motor. I once made it home from Bristol Tenn home in a little over 5 hrs, only time under 80 was at the toll booths. lot of time over the "Ton".Still remember the sore ribs from Debbie when we dragged the centerstand on I77. When treating it right, I could get 40+ towing a trailer. KEEP it in tune including the carb sync, it will continue to amaze you. I miss mine.

Edited by timk

Guest Brad25ca
It's a Pressure Sensor which is connected to the #2 Carb or Intake Manifold. It senses the Vacuum and sens a Signal to the CDI. The CDI advances the Spark based on the Sensor Signal.

Got it. Thanks!

I'd love to see my rpm's around the 3500 range, but mine still pulls down acceptable to very good mileage. I'm in mid trip again, spending a couple days in Topeka from ND, and the first day I was pulling down 38 mpg at 75 mph with a little headwind, and the second day I was getting 41-43 mpg running 65-70. I"m very happy, and love it when people tell me how expensive it must have been to drive down here. :rotf:

Heading back north tomorrow, but making a large detour through Minneapolis...need to go see the wife, it's been two weeks and I've got a hanckerin. :)