IGNORED

2nd gen tech questions. Help!

I have four questions: Your feedback is much appreciated.

*The rear shock - please explain the air pressure and identifying the proper pressure for a two up situation (is there a better more robust shock or spring to retrofit?)

*Do you know if by using the the Barons Star Bar w / Barons Riser Extensions, do you need to change the cables?

*Do you have a list of retrofits / fixes which should be done while the ferring is off the machine?

*Tire wear issues: Droped off the machine to the repair shop for the 15K inspection. Prior to, I noticed some unusual wear in both the front and rear tire. Front - a very slight ridge running the entire right of center circumference of the tire, the rear just the opposite side. With the repair shop, we agreed it is time for a new set of tires. ( I run Mich. Comm. for two up conditions PSI F 40 (12k miles) R 44~46(8k miles) ) I check pressure before each run.

Shortly thereafter, I went over to a buddies house to speak to him and check his tire wear. He has a VStar1100. He runs Metzlers. Respectfully, his tires show exactly the same type of tire wear, a slight ridge both left of center front and opposite in the rear. While discussing this, another rider pal shows up, another VStar1100 running Dunlops. the same issue, but the exact opposite with regard to front and back wear. Front ridge found to be right of center and so on. Both riders meticulous about T-Clock inspections and so fourth. I am wondering if this wear pattern is seen on all bikes. Only Yamahas Star bikes?? Any ideas.:confused24: Two different bike models, three different tire manufacturers, and a good maintenance track record.:think:

Thank you all for your time and patience.

Respectfully,

R. Bustamante

Long Island, NY

I have four questions: Your feedback is much appreciated.

*The rear shock - please explain the air pressure and identifying the proper pressure for a two up situation (is there a better more robust shock or spring to retrofit?)

It is really a matter of experimenting a bit because it will vary depending on rider and passenger weight. I would suggest that you start with about 30 lbs. in the rear and maybe 0-3 in the front. See how much the rear goes down at that pressure and how the ride feels. If it doesn't sag too much and the ride is not too harsh, that is good. The only aftermarket shock that I know of is from Works Performance. From all that I've read, it is a great upgrade. It does use an external spring and no air.

*Do you know if by using the the Barons Star Bar w / Barons Riser Extensions, do you need to change the cables?

I don't know of anybody using the Star Bar at this point. Maybe there is somebody and they will add their comments. Many people have reported that they do NOT have to extend the cables due to the risers. Most have said that they had to do a bit of re-routing of them in order to get some extra length. I personally went with SS lines as I like them anyway. :)

*Do you have a list of retrofits / fixes which should be done while the ferring is off the machine?

Really only a couple of things that I can think of right off hand. You will find 5 large connectors on the right side of the fairing. These are for the various audio system functions and etc. Unplug each of them and add a little dielectric grease. They get corroded and can cause some problems. If you plan to use an MP3 player, you might want to pick up a 1/8" stereo splitter cable and a short male to female cable. The auxiliary wire plugs into the back of the cassette deck so that you can plug an MP3 player into it but then you have to leave the cassette door open. If you add a splitter, you can bring out another cable and use it while leaving he cassette door closed.

*Tire wear issues: Droped off the machine to the repair shop for the 15K inspection. Prior to, I noticed some unusual wear in both the front and rear tire. Front - a very slight ridge running the entire right of center circumference of the tire, the rear just the opposite side. With the repair shop, we agreed it is time for a new set of tires. ( I run Mich. Comm. for two up conditions PSI F 40 (12k miles) R 44~46(8k miles) ) I check pressure before each run.

Shortly thereafter, I went over to a buddies house to speak to him and check his tire wear. He has a VStar1100. He runs Metzlers. Respectfully, his tires show exactly the same type of tire wear, a slight ridge both left of center front and opposite in the rear. While discussing this, another rider pal shows up, another VStar1100 running Dunlops. the same issue, but the exact opposite with regard to front and back wear. Front ridge found to be right of center and so on. Both riders meticulous about T-Clock inspections and so fourth. I am wondering if this wear pattern is seen on all bikes. Only Yamahas Star bikes?? Any ideas.:confused24: Two different bike models, three different tire manufacturers, and a good maintenance track record.:think:

Hopefully somebody else can jump in on this one. I have not seen that but maybe I just didn't look close enough when I changed my tires. I have had good luck with the Michelin tires though and think they are a great choice. I'm trying a set of Avons right now just to compare them to the Michelins.

Thank you all for your time and patience.

Respectfully,

R. Bustamante

Long Island, NY

You are very welcome. I'm sure some others will add their own comments to mine.

Don pretty much nailed it all on your questions, I'll second the splitter AUX cable for running MP3 players or GPS systems as it will come through the sterio.

I find that 2 up with my wife and I works well at just about 40 psi, if were packed up heavy in the bags I'll go to about 45 psi and if were pulling atrailer loaded I'll go 50 psi or above. Experiment with what works best for your sizes, together the wife and I are about 410 lbs me being closer to 300 lbs.

I run my tires at just about max pressure, and be sure if you are leaving on a trip and are loaded up to run the tire at max pressure so you'll have the full load capability of it. Just remember to keep asking questions if you have them. There are no dumb questions here :no-no-no:

I am no expert on this but on the tire wear issue it sounds like something is out of line front to rear with the tires. I don't see how it could wear like that otherwise.

Not sure how you could correct it if it is out of line for that matter.

Just thinking out loud here, maybe more air in one front shock? Fluid amount different in forks although I don't think that would cause the wheels to be out of line.

Strange, very strange,

Jerry

• 3 months later...

On the tire wear, I see the same exact issue on my Roadliner... After some research, I have found a very interesting reason:

"crown of the road"

From the seated position on the bike, the road is crowned higher on your left side than on your right leading to a more off-center tread wear.... The crown is for water / debris runoff so it will not pool in the road.....

Almost every bike (more pronounced with highway riders) have this same issue...

Nothing to be concerned about from what I have seen...