IGNORED

New to me 84 Venture!

5bikes

This is my 24th bike and maybe my best yet. I wanted a Venture when they first came out in the 80's but I had a bad experience with a 81 GoldWing. It was too hot, heavy and slow. I was more into less costly sportier bikes then. This year I sold a 2000 BMW K1200LT (Luxury Tourer) which we did not like because it was way too heavy overall, top heavy, unreliable, uncomfortable, terrible in winds, hard to work on, expensive parts and nearest dealer was 275 miles. We still wanted a touring bike so I went looking for a Venture. I found it, none running in near show room condition in PHX with 14k miles.

Got it running, cleaned carbs & tank, new fork seals and fixed leaking water pump in 4 weeks. It is everything I want in a bike. Simple to work on, parts cheap, comfortable, torquey, 46 mpg, light for a touring bike, easy in winds, good handling and after reading about the problems (all of these points compared to the BMW) are negliable. Also $5000+ cheaper!

It's a keeper! Wish I had done this sooner. :cool10:

Edited by 5bikes
Correction

I was the same way . Love the Venture from the begining but the wife and i both rode our own. the new lady doesn't ride so a venture was the tourer I wanted and the 85 was the one i wanted . Paid $1800 with 35k new fork seals too, what a deal.

46 MPG! Hot dog!:sign woo hoo:

I got an 84 myself last week and finally started driving it today (It took me a while to get insurance and a helmet). I got mine specifically to help ease my gas bill as I've been driving an '05 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 with Hemi. I eagerly await the fuel savings.

Just remember cruise is ON and dont turn corners with it on LOL

I haven't used it on anything less than a straight section of road, and as for corners, I'm still trying to remember to slow down for them.;) Seriously, I've been taking the curves on the interchange at highway speeds and wondering why I'm having to lean over so far. It doesn't seem like I'm going that fast until I look at the speedometer.:yikes: I'll get refamiliarized with the bike and the essence of riding, hopefully before I get hurt. Oh, and about the cruise. I LOVE how it cuts off if I just think about gripping the clutch.:sign woo hoo:

From what I have heard, Yamaha's tend to be a bit longer than other bikes. So, taking corners may be a bit wider, hence you are leaning a bit further than you had expected.

But, think about, it works to your advantage. You can lean low into corners and not need to go as fast as other bikes. Personally, I love the way it just drops to the side making a normal right hand turn. Freaks out a couple crotch rocket buddies when I do that.

The tight sister in west Texas is unbelievable on this bike, 'specially when that whip antennae slaps the side of the cliff.