IGNORED

Any decent seat pads out there that work ???

Sterling Turner

Just came back from a four State mini-tour. Took in Black Mtn. Ky, Pigeon Forge area, Deals Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway and places I will probably never find again.

My reason for this thread is that by the forth day of riding, My butt was killing me (did ok first 3 days)...If it hadn't been for Advil, I probably would have stayed in a motel for a day to recover !!!

I had a sheepskin over my seat, but am looking for more padding, if that will help.

Tried an Air-Hawk once and it set me up higher and felt wobbly (didn't care for it).. Anyone ever used a Butt-Buffer or Gel pad with any satisfaction ???

Or any other advice on being able to log more miles before the sore butt syndrome kicks in. Heck, I'm still sore and have been home for two days !!!

I don't have an iron butt... not sure its even as hard as copper! If I'm riding 200 or so miles to an event, like a M & G, then off the bike for a while eatin' and talkin', then a short ride and another 200 or so miles home, the sheep skin is fine. If I'm going 400 - 500 miles from A to B, at the first fuel stop, I throw the beads on top of the sheepskin. Next fuel stop, the beads come off, and so on. Keeps my butt confused so it doesn't know when to start hurting. The beads are from a cheap WalMart set I cut down for my bike.

I replaced my stock pillow-tops with a Corbin, dual-tourer (but, that's a whole 'nother discussion), but I top it with a sheepskin-covered "ProPad" (propad.com), and swap back and forth between using or not using the ProPad depending on when I feel a need for a change.

We did a 2,000 mile ride about a week ago (over five days), with the majority of the miles being on two 500 mile days, and I wasn't feeling any problem until the last 100 miles. But, I was ready for a day or two rest after that.

Seating comfort seems to be a really particular issue. What I like, you might hate. I usually reccomend trying out other people's seat pads, etc. before spring for expensive options; especially if you're interested in something like a Corbin seat.

My rule of thumb usually seems to be, that I begin by looking at the less expensive options, but realize that I will probably end up wanting the most expensive one. Champagine taste on a beer budget, they say.

Good luck!

Pete.

I've like the pillow tops, but before I had those I used sheepskin.

Rick Butler doe the Butlermod on these seats. He will take your see and reshape it, put in new padding and recover it so it looks like new.

The price is pretty good also. I would like to see one of his Butler Mod seats in person. Actually, I want to sit on one.

Dan...what size did you get for yours? I'm interested in getting one fo those.

Oh Boy I Can't remember. I Think I Made Phone Call, and they know which size fit Venture.

I Have done many 600 - 1100 miles a day rides, with no discomfort. My Wife didnt feel discomfort either, so if she is happy, I'm Happy too. Doesen't sounds right to set on wooden bids and feel comfortable, but on the end most profesional truckers, and cab drivers are using wooden bids for their seats.

Good Luck.

Dan...what size did you get for yours? I'm interested in getting one fo those.

I got the 14" size and didn't like it. The reason why is because it extended up to the backrest and I didn't like that part of the seat covered with beads. I might try the smaller cover to see how that works.

I had a gel pad inserted into my seat on my 99 and it made a difference but I ended up having to buy a sheepskin from Alaska Leathers because the BB insert would absorb so much heat from the sun that it would burn my back side for close to an hour.

Since you have pillow top seats and use a sheepskin I would suggest alternating between the two on long rides. I did it on my FL trip and never had a problem. Every time I stopped for gas I either put the ss on or took it off. Gives a different feel.

I have the pillow tops on this 99 and only use the SS on long rides for a change up. I have done 600 miles with the PT in a day without using the ss and had no problems.

If a pillow top w/ss worked for 3 days I highly doubt you would like a Corbin saddle. Hard as a rock from my experience.

If you aren't intimidated by cutting your foam on a stock, you can improve one pretty easy. I have a slinny rear and was having problems after 150/200 mi in the saddle. I removed the seat cover, put the seat back on sat on the bike sat in the normal position, reached between the seat and my butt bones that hit first and marked the area the best I could. I dishes these areas out with a elec carving knife, slipped the cover back on, and it really did the trick for me. I did 600+ on the back roads, and on the way back, 460 miles of Interstate(which for some reason is where the pain would show up first for me). Save your cutouts, if it don't work out, as it can be easilly pieced back to the origional. Also, I removed about half the thickness in the dished out area.

Guest tx2sturgis

I used to have this problem on my Ultra. The stock foam is cheap and just wears out, after about 10,000 miles. Then your butt is riding on the seat pan, which started to cause pain after about an hour in the saddle.

I had a local upholstery man make a new seat foam from that high-density closed cell foam. He then made a pattern off the old seat cover, and made a brand new vinyl cover. I can sit in the saddle all day long now!

I tried the gel pad on a bike I had years ago. What a waste of money that was. Changes the pressure points on your butt, but also the gel itself bunches up and CAUSES pressure points. Plus it gets super hot in the sun.

Sheepskin pads do help, or so I've been told. Also, be sure to wear boxers, instead of briefs, to help eliminate 'bunching' ( and irritation) caused by your old fruit-of-the-looms.

And dont forget the Gold-Bond Powder!

:cool10:

Before you spend a bundle, buy a Walmart bead seat cover. Strap it on with bungees, and ride it for a week or two. You can see if it helps. Not only does it help me, it keeps me cooler & drier. I think the beads keep your butt dry, minimizing chafing, which adds to your discomfort. I also have a backrest, which helps by allowing me to change positions- sit upright for a while, then lay back for a while.

I've used this for several dozen 400 mile days, and one marathon 700 mile day. On my daily commute, the cooling makes a noticeable difference after sitting at a stop light for a minute or two.

Looks like an old hippie rides my bike, says Amy. But it works, and only cost me $10. I even put one on the riding lawnmower, and she notices the difference. If you like it, then you can pick out a nicer one or cut yours down to size.

All depends on what kind of butt pain we are talking about.. Before I broke my back a few years ago I was an AVID dirt rider... I had a KX500 that I "street legaled" and spent a lot of time (weeks) riding and camping at trail side and riding more... Because of sweat and seats (MX seats arent really made for long distance) "monkey butt" was a common problem.. I finally cured this issue by wearing spanex riding shorts with the Chamios crotch in it - WORKED GREAT!!

As for my street bikes - I have found that the first few 800 mile days on a cross country trip are the worst and can be greatly reduced just by finding several different positions to put my feet in.. Also, I stand and stretch when I need to - it also not uncommon to catch me standing up for miles at a time - this really helps too.. The back rest suggestion is something I totally agree with - if you have something to lean against it seems to take a lot of pressure off you butt muscles.

By the way, my first gen saddle is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden long distance on!!

'Puc