IGNORED

DC Power outlet

Guest Tom E

Guest Tom E

Where is the best location for a DC power outlet on the 1st Gen? Does the scoot generate enough power to run shch equipment as an air pump or other simple electrical devices? Would a power converter work on it to produce 110V?

I have a 78 Venture Royale with intercom wire that is mounted on false gas tank and routs through left cover for radio. I took wire out of the mounting hole and just brought it up infront of cover and mounted power outlet in the hole instead. Works great. Probably no problem using it if you leave bike running and don't use anything that draws too much whattage. I have used mine to power GPS and charge phone but would wait to see if any-body has used theirs for any higher drawing things. Hope this helps. If you don't have a hole there you could use a hole saw to make one but be careful when you do that you don't hit anything.

Phil

Must have not checked my typing as I have an 87 not 78 Venture.

But what I was explaining if you look at Skid's picture is the com wire on the opposite side panel I just run it up and over fake cover and mounted outlet in it's place.

Guest Tom E

Thanx Phil and Skid. That looks like a good place for it - a lot better than where I was thinking of putting it. I wonder, though, will it run a air mattrice type air pump? Has anybody used it for that type of appliance?

Geez, Skid -- your layout looks like the bridge on the Enterprise.

Naw,

that might be the bridge of the USS (insert any WWII destroyer name here),

but Redneck has bridge of the Starship Enterprise!

(Skid, you'll notice that I did say DESTROYER!)

Tom, I have a cigar lighter mounted about where Skid's is, but I also mounted a power port in the trunk. This keeps it out of the weather and I don't need access while riding anyway. I use that for charging the cell phone or a tire air compressor, and, though I haven't tried it yet, powering my laptop while on the road (not literally!), like camping and such.

If I get a chance, I'll try and get some pics to post.

Where is the best location for a DC power outlet on the 1st Gen? Does the scoot generate enough power to run shch equipment as an air pump or other simple electrical devices? Would a power converter work on it to produce 110V?

When I had my 1st Gen, I put mine inside the rightside saddle bag. I ran a small tire pump. Depends wheather or not you want to conceal it or not. I didn't want the weather to get to mine.:080402gudl_prv:

Ken

Guest Tom E

Great, I would be interested in pics of the different locations for the power point and what it is capable of doing. To mount it in the side bags, are you drilling through the caseing of the bags (or trunk) or is there a place to hook onto? Can you use the trunk light wire, or is it too light? My air mat pump is like a hair dryer without the heat. It just blows.

If I didn't have so much crap in my trunk I could get a picture for you! :rotf:

Oh well, I guess that gives me a reason to clean it out. You know, nature and my trunk abhor a vacuum!

I'll see what I can do.

Guest Tom E

If I didn't have so much crap in my trunk I could get a picture for you! :rotf:

Oh well, I guess that gives me a reason to clean it out. You know, nature and my trunk abhor a vacuum!

I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the good laugh. I had a hard night at work. That trunk is not all that big!!! :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Hey Tom, Wanna Bet!!!

Ok, I here are the pics. To be honest, I don't remember if I drilled and tapped the holes or if they were already there with the screws. They are just into that metal strap. I got power and ground from the light wires under the trunk mat. I haven't run anything more than my cell phone charger so far. I carry a tire inflator (one of the cheap Wally World types with the plastic removed to save space) but haven't used it yet.

I don't like the space that I loose to that XM box, but I like the size of the control head on the dash so I tolerate it.

Guest Tom E

Hey Tom, Wanna Bet!!!

Ok, I here are the pics. To be honest, I don't remember if I drilled and tapped the holes or if they were already there with the screws. They are just into that metal strap. I got power and ground from the light wires under the trunk mat. I haven't run anything more than my cell phone charger so far. I carry a tire inflator (one of the cheap Wally World types with the plastic removed to save space) but haven't used it yet.

I don't like the space that I loose to that XM box, but I like the size of the control head on the dash so I tolerate it.

Todd - seeing your trunk made me laugh even more. I can certainly relate! Thanx for the ideas guys. I guess I will have to experiment to see if I can inflate an air mat with such a setup. I have my trailor filled with camping guear. Ready to go, Now, all I need is to stop sneezing.

Tom

• 2 years later...

The starmotorcycles.com website under 2008 RSV features, states that

"Separate cigarette lighter-type DC outlets for both rider and passenger"

OK, one in the fairing.. "outlets' being plural I cannot find another??

Whatupwiddat???

The starmotorcycles.com website under 2008 RSV features, states that

"Separate cigarette lighter-type DC outlets for both rider and passenger"

OK, one in the fairing.. "outlets' being plural I cannot find another??

Whatupwiddat???

Tom,

Lift the drivers seat up and you will find 2 wires with a white connection end on it, thats the 2nd one :whistling:

Tnx Squidley.

Hmmm, doesn't much look like a "cigarette lighter type outlet" Oh well..

Yeah it's go a lot to be desired, on that same left side just below the seats rear corner there is a rubber plug on the plastic shielding that will accomodate a cig lighter plug, might be an option for you. I have installed a few there on various bikes. BTW Thanks for your service there brother, spent 6 1/2 years in the yacht club myself

:thumbsup2:

I have an 86 and mounted the cig lighter where the intercom wire comes though on the left side of the fairing (removed the gromet) and ran the int. wire above (over the fake tank cover ( just long enough) I used mine to pump up queen size air mattress with the bike running. No problem. Use it to power gps also. Can't remember for sure how I wired it up for sure, but think straight to battery with fuse.