IGNORED

help, miss

funrider

I am visiting family over 200 miles form home and my bike isn't running correctly. Ran between 55 and 60 all the way and got just about 46 miles per gallon but when I am at low rpms and hit the gas, I have a bad hesitation, I think it is missing on one cylinder until rpms get up a little then it takes off. Changed the plugs but no help. Put sea foam in and no help. Wonder if I have a diaphragm that went bad? If so how hard is it to replace? Any help would be appreciated.

How do I tell which diaphragm it is?

Edited by funrider

It's no fun to search for an Error away from Home, but you could check each Down Pipe for getting equally hot, starting with the bare Hand on cold Pipes, then spray some Water on the Pipes and watch it condensate. A infrared Thermometer would be extremly helpful on this. This Way you could see which Cylinder is the Culprit.

Checking the Diaphragm is some work. You need to undo the lower Fairing on both Sides, open the Diaphragm Bowls, and carefully pull the Sliders with the Diaphragm attached out of the Carb. Watch out for the tiny O-Ring which has to go back in Place underneath the Diaphragm and is sealed by the Sealing Surface of the Bowl.

I have had a Friend reporting similar Behaviour on his Max, i found the left rear Cylinder as the bad Boy, opened the Carb Bowl and there came several Pieces to light. The Screw which holds the Jet Needle in Place came out and the Jet Needle, the Washer and the Spring came loose. Mileage was bad and because too rich Mixture on lower Revs, the was no Ignition until 4000 RpM.

Hope this helps

drove about 40 miles to check on new diaphragms only to find out that they would have to order them. Good news is that it is starting to run better as I get more miles on it with the sea foam in it.

I think just about46 mpg is real good, that is the one thing that makes me wonder if it is the diaphragms. I think if it was the diaphragms the mpg would be a lot worst. Well I guess I will drive it for a while and see if it continues to run better.

46 mpg?? Man, I'm happy to get anything over 40mpg, but then again I am a speedy rider...

Hey Bob! Great to see y'all back! Hope you're doing real well.

John, another trick if you find some holes in your diaphragm, you can use electrician's "Liquid Tape" to plug them. Diaphragms aint cheap, dude!

Quick check for diaphrams.....take off false tank cover...remove airfilter cover and cover. Watch your nose!!! Looking down into the carb intakes give her a few revs...watching the slides in the carbs....they should be "dancing" back and forth equally. Like I said though watch your nose hairs!! It doesnt like running with no airfilter! It might backfire and runs like crap too....but you can see if things are working as they should be.