IGNORED

New Bike

Leland

Like others here, due to age and health, I decided to downsize from my 2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe to a Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650.  Loosing over 300# is welcomed but I'm not thrilled about loosing the drive shaft for a chain.  While this new bike is only rated for 47HP, many reviewers say that it has no problem cruising at 75mph.  And smoothly too.

Being an air/oil cooled parallel twin with screw and locknut valve adjusters, maintenance should be a breeze.  Time will tell.  It does come with a three-year, unlimited mile warranty.  

Still being winter here in the Denver area, I haven't ridden it much, but the few miles I have, have been enjoyable.

2024 Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at the Touring version of the Super Meteor. I'd like to lose some weight as well. The RSV has gained weight over the years! Grins!

Only complaint I've heard is the windshield doesn't protect the head from buffeting at highway speeds. Do let us know how the scoot rides at you get more miles on it. I'll be paying attention! 

Pretty color!

• Like 1

Hey Leland,

Congrats on the new Scoot! I am sure you will have "Miles of Smiles" with that beauty!

Over the years, I have "Acquired" several motorcycles. I am VERY fortunate that I have the room for them, as well as a wife who is a "Good Sport" about having a few extra "Toys"! The bikes range from a pair of 550c.c. Honda Silver Wings, to a pair of Honda V65 Magnas, to a pair of MKII VR's (87' and 89') and finally an MKI VR (1984). Depending on my mood, distance, weather, and who's riding with me, determines which bike I take. 

As with many here Leland, it doesn't matter what you ride, it's the fact that you DO RIDE! I swear that I feel 10 years younger as soon as my butt hits the saddle! I am sure it will be the same for you as well. 

Safe Journeys, my friend! And don't be a stranger just because you bought a different bike. Heck Leland, the Founder of this web site, and now his wife BOTH ride Harley's, and we STILL let them "Hang Out"! LOL!

Earl 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, videoarizona said:

I've been looking at the Touring version of the Super Meteor. I'd like to lose some weight as well. The RSV has gained weight over the years! Grins!

Only complaint I've heard is the windshield doesn't protect the head from buffeting at highway speeds. Do let us know how the scoot rides at you get more miles on it. I'll be paying attention! 

Pretty color!

I've put just a hair over a thousand miles on it now.  I have to say that I'm amazed at how smooth that little engine is even at 80 MPH. The mirrors are crystal clear. Plus, with its 59" wheelbase it is very stable.     

At 5'8", while I do get more wind noise than with the large windshield on my old RSTD, I do not get any buffeting. As long as I wear earplugs, I'm good. Online reviewers also complain about the rear shocks. While of course the bike is built to a budget, I've found that for my 170# carcass (plus gear), setting the shocks at position 3 of 4 allows for a firm but acceptable ride. I think too many try for a softer ride at the expense of bottoming out. 

As of now, I have no buyers remorse.  I also added a pair of Shad SH-23 saddlebags which are reasonably priced. IMG_0622.thumb.jpeg.32d594a4ae0edc1cca12394805660f30.jpeg

• Like 2

My first glance at your pic I thought it was a BSA. If you dont plan on multi day trips I could see where its a good scooter. But then I also remember the days when a 650 was a "big bike". My brother back in late 50's rode a 500 I guess BSA from MacDill (Tampa) to Detroit. LOL MY parents thought he was nuts to go that far on a bike. Yours looks like fun, enjoy.

• Like 1