Dunlop or Michelin 

Wich is good or thing to know 

Your personal choice or advice 🤔 about what could be good 

Take in consideration 

A lot of kilometers in mind Long term use and also comfort 

Thanks you in advice 

Yamaha royal star venture 2009 1300cc 

First motorcycle 🏍 😎 👌 

Mine had a Dunlap when I bought it. How many miles one it before me I dont know. But a couple thousand miles in it developed a "howel" in corners from the rear. Noisy no problems in traction, but you could see obvious cupping. I ran a Michelin Commander 2 and got 15K + out of it . Very good tire. I have also ran this tire on my Victory before.

My current rear tire is a Dunlop E4 and at 50% tread life it's the worst feeling tire I've used on this bike (obviously that's subjective).  The tip-in feels very vague for the initial lean then almost "falls" into the turn, once in the turn it feels less stable and "slippery".

I've had very good luck on this bike with Shinko 230 Tourmasters and 777 HD.  

My riding buddy swears by Commander 2 from 2 Kawasaki Nomads and now and Indian.  

On 10/9/2023 at 7:46 AM, BratmanXj said:

My current rear tire is a Dunlop E4 and at 50% tread life it's the worst feeling tire I've used on this bike (obviously that's subjective).  The tip-in feels very vague for the initial lean then almost "falls" into the turn, once in the turn it feels less stable and "slippery".

I've had very good luck on this bike with Shinko 230 Tourmasters and 777 HD.  

My riding buddy swears by Commander 2 from 2 Kawasaki Nomads and now and Indian.  

May not be so subjective. My last rear tire a Dunlop E4, had a big lengthwise split in middle of the tire (a split not a cut) and probing it revealed it was separating from the cord as well. It also started slipping in the cornors. The tire still had better than 50% tread and was new in 21. As well it spent the past year sitting on my lift in the garage. This is the third set of Dunlop's I had to replace before its time. The first set (E3's) I replaced because the bike suddenly started to slide sideways on highway ramps despite still having 30% tread, the rubber just got hard. The second set E4's at about 50% developed the same slipping plus a bad case of hair line side wall cracks too numerous and deep to feel comfortable about. And now this second E4 with the 2 1/2 " split to the cord down the inside of one of the grooves. Plus it too was starting to get slippery. I am done with high end Dunlop's. If any thing I would go back to the 404. However I decided to give the SHINKO 777 a try since they seem to have a good following on this site. I only replaced the rear and so far I am very pleased with it. 

• Like 1

I liked the Shinko 777 the one time I had them on my '86. They rode well and gripped in turns. The rear lasted as long as any lower priced rear I ever ran.

I am running the Nexen SB802 on the rear of my RSV now. I  have found the horror stories to be so much urban legend fodder. The tire works well in every aspect for me.

We also have Nexens on Kris' car. So far, we are happy with them in both applications.

Not trying to start a Dark Side argument, just another data pint

• Like 1

3 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

I liked the Shinko 777 the one time I had them on my '86. They rode well and gripped in turns. The rear lasted as long as any lower priced rear I ever ran.

I am running the Nexen SB802 on the rear of my RSV now. I  have found the horror stories to be so much urban legend fodder. The tire works well in every aspect for me.

We also have Nexens on Kris' car. So far, we are happy with them in both applications.

Not trying to start a Dark Side argument, just another data pint

I ran Nexen on my 06 Venture for roughly 18 months. Put 30K miles on it and never had any issues. I scraped the floorboards a few times and had not tread transition issues/feelings. Had the fuel pump fail on a trip and they guy would not work on it with the CT on it.  I probably had another 10 - 15k of tread left on the tire.

I spent roughly 6+ months going back and forth with Dunlop and Metler's R&D group after having to put 3 tires in a single year.  Both brands had the same issue for me on the Gen 2, They wore out at 5K - 6K miles.  Garbage for the price I was paying. (I don't have the means to mount my own tires) Front tires I'd get 12K - 14K out of from both brands. Same old scare tactic a CT will kill you on a bike, the bead won't work etc. etc. I did finally get to one development engineer who was very clear, we had our heated debates but. . . .  Anyway, he said the bead difference between the CT and MT is not the issue, the issue is the softness of the side wall. MT side walls are designed to be very "stiff" as he put it. Most CTs are designed to be soft so the tread will move from the G-Force pressures during cornering. So 'any' CT will not be safe, you have to pay attention to the sidewall.  Bias-Ply should be avoided. Radial should be fine. Also, he said to avoid low profile, well, duh.

8 hours ago, saddlebum said:

May not be so subjective. My last rear tire a Dunlop E4, had a big lengthwise split in middle of the tire (a split not a cut) and probing it revealed it was separating from the cord as well. It also started slipping in the cornors. The tire still had better than 50% tread and was new in 21. As well it spent the past year sitting on my lift in the garage. This is the third set of Dunlop's I had to replace before its time. The first set (E3's) I replaced because the bike suddenly started to slide sideways on highway ramps despite still having 30% tread, the rubber just got hard. The second set E4's at about 50% developed the same slipping plus a bad case of hair line side wall cracks too numerous and deep to feel comfortable about. And now this second E4 with the 2 1/2 " split to the cord down the inside of one of the grooves. Plus it too was starting to get slippery. I am done with high end Dunlop's. If any thing I would go back to the 404. However I decided to give the SHINKO 777 a try since they seem to have a good following on this site. I only replaced the rear and so far I am very pleased with it. 

I remember reading your review of the E4 fitments on the Venture as well.  I have the 18" front wheel and certain tires don't mix well on top of an aggressive riding styles. 

My H.D. buddies on Dunlop E4s love them.