IGNORED

Side stand question....

Ok folks I have heard several members dropping their bikes after the side stand breaks and the thought scares me. My wife often sets on the bike while it is on the side stand at different times, while fueling etc.... I have checked the up and down play in the side stand while the bike is on the center stand. I have about 1.5 inches of play at the bottom tip when the side stand is down. Is this normal? I removed the bolt and I can see a little wear so I replaced it yesterday just to be on the safe side. I noticed the new bolt is green colored, does that mean it is an harder bolt?

:biker:

Hey skid, as one who also had a side stand problem years ago, I feel the the amount of play you have is way too much. Mine has about 1/8th inch play when moving the tip up and down. Are you tightening the bolt until it bottoms out and then tightening the nut on the back side? If I remember correctly, I replaced my bolt with something other than a stock bolt. I don't remember where it came from. Another thing, I put my bike on the center stand about everytime I ride it and I routinely take my foot and check how loose it is. I do this because I also routinely use my left footpeg to stand on while I am getting off the bike when Laura is on it. It is just much easier to get off the bike that way.

The biggest problem on these side stands is where people let them get too loose and that is when they break. Otherwise, they are very strong and will take a lot of pressure.

RandyA

Randy,

I tightened it up good, but still have a little play. I'm hoping this new green Yamaha bolt is harder than the old one. :biker:

DON"T TIGHTEN THE BOLT!!! It doesn't do a darn bit of good, but will cause the bolt to snap.... and then you will have problems..... Snug is good. The lock nut on the back side will keep it from loosening up. A little play at the end of the sidestand is normal. Sloppy is not, and it's generally not the bolt, but the pivot flange on the frame that's worn.

You will find that a large portion of the wear, that gives it the slop, is the hole the shoulder bolt goes through and that metal frame piece (as the kickstand swings) as well. A new bolt and sidestand (about $57 for sidestand) will help too, prolly just not as much as you would have hoped.

The new bolt I got from Yammy was not green but normal metal looking.

Now, I wonder if a slightly larger shoulder bolt and drilling that hole just enough for the bolt to fit like new would solve a large portion of that slop. Would know how to fix the other won down areas.

I do feel more comfortable that my setup is new now even though all of the slop is not gone. That new spring looks a whole lot better than the rusted one I had too.

color generally has nothing to do with the hardness of a bolt check the markings on the head soft bolts have no markings grade 5 has 3 grade 8 has 6 and hardest bolt has 12

metric bolts usually have a number EG: 9.8 10.9 or 12.9

if using non metric bolt 6 or more lines or marks around the dia. of the head of the bolt.

if using a metric bolt choose one with the number 10.9 or 12.9 marked on the head of the bolt. any thing lower is too soft and weak.:thumbsup2:

metric bolts usually have a number EG: 9.8 ..

not being picky here, but it's 8.8 for standard Grade Bolts. There are lower Numbers on the Market also, eg. 4.6, but standard is 8.8

The green Color comes from a Coating which prevents the Bolts from rusting. It's called Passivation and the Process is similiar the anodising Aluminium Parts.

Ok, I don't believe I over tightened the bolt but it is definately snug. The nut on the back side is a lock nut. The original bolt was silverish in color, but this new Yamaha bolt is green. I didn't see any markings on the head. I'll look again this evening when I install the new fork brace. I'll may also remove it again and check the hole closer too. Thanks everyone for the info, if I don't feel comfortable I may even order me a new side stand. I probably can beat the $57.00 price here at my local dealer.

:beer:

I had my sidestand break on my '85.... it broke at the base of the " U " (the part where the bolt goes through). On this bike, I had it apart just a week ago to inspect it...all looked good but the bolt had a bit of wear on it...and there's some "sloppyness" but I never measured that. I also manufactured an "extension" out of one of those nylon cutting boards so that the bike doesn't lean over so much and for better support on soft surfaces. Pics to follow.

I also manufactured an "extension" out of one of those nylon cutting boards so that the bike doesn't lean over so much and for better support on soft surfaces. Pics to follow.

as promised... before paint & after. Held on with 2 countersunk machine screws & nuts.

The piece is actually 3 separate pieces glued together. Cost of materials...appx $3. I had to heat the base of the stand and "melt" it into the top piece of nylon because of it's non-flat underside so that it would fit properly and disburse the weight evenly.

as promised... before paint & after. Held on with 2 countersunk machine screws & nuts.

The piece is actually 3 separate pieces glued together. Cost of materials...appx $3. I had to heat the base of the stand and "melt" it into the top piece of nylon because of it's non-flat underside so that it would fit properly and disburse the weight evenly.

Nice job....:clap2: