I changed the oil on my bike yesterday. It took exactly one gallon of oil. I noticed that the oil darkened quite a bit after I let the bike run for a few minutes. There must be alot of oil that cannot be drained in the tranny/crankcase during a routine oil change. I believe that the bottom bolt on the tranny also will drain the oil from the tranny but mine is hard to get to. Any suggestions on how to get rid of that last bit of oil or do I just ride and get used to having a bit of old oil mixed in with the new?:322:

Guest Ken8143

I learned the hard way to look at that glass - it does not need 4 quarts no matter what the book says! Even with the filter change. And I just drain oil from the main plug. And the oil gets black almost immediately.

Why, I dunno

Bike on Center Stand, Your Oil should be 1/2 way up To Center of Site Glass !!

Trust us on this, If you overfill you will start getting a lot of Blow by into the Intake.

Put in 3 1/2 qts Max, run, let it settle, see what you have.

I have only had my 87 VR 4 weeks, but When I change the oil in my cars I will usually dump in a half quart with the drain plug out. You can watch the the color change from black to clear for the most part, and after the stick is nice and clean.

When I took my motor out and removed the bottom, There was still a good 1/2 quart of oil in the motor. There are so many nooks and crannys for it to sit in you will NEVER get it all out unless you tear it completely down. Believe me I know!!!!

Dan

I changed the oil on my bike yesterday. It took exactly one gallon of oil. I noticed that the oil darkened quite a bit after I let the bike run for a few minutes. There must be alot of oil that cannot be drained in the tranny/crankcase during a routine oil change. I believe that the bottom bolt on the tranny also will drain the oil from the tranny but mine is hard to get to. Any suggestions on how to get rid of that last bit of oil or do I just ride and get used to having a bit of old oil mixed in with the new?:322:

You'll drain more oil when the oil is hot..I try to change my oil after returning from a long run or I let my engine run until the oil is not warm but hot to the touch...

I drained my oil on the center stand while still warm (pulled the lower plug), then I put her on her side stand and pulled the lower screw on the middle gear cover. Put her up on her center stand and pulled the middle gear cover and then the left engine cover (getting the starter clutch rebuilt.) and about another 1/2 cup or more of oil came out when I pulled the side cover. The engine has SOME holes between the alternator housing and the engine but they aren't REAL low so the left side definitely traps some...