IGNORED

What were these holes designed for.........

gibvel

The holes in the ears that hang down just beneath the frame. Just behind the oil plug and in front of the little shelf that the smog canister, for the California models, gets bolted to. The ones that the pin, that holds Carbon One's Lift adapter adapter to the bike, goes through. Anyone know what they were originally designed for. One of mine has a plug clipped into it to fill the hole so I wondered if they were actually designed for some purpose or if they may have been used at the factory and that's it.

Inquiring minds want to know. :confused24: :Bunny:

The holes in the ears that hang down just beneath the frame. Just behind the oil plug and in front of the little shelf that the smog canister, for the California models, gets bolted to. The ones that the pin, that holds Carbon One's Lift adapter adapter to the bike, goes through. Anyone know what they were originally designed for. One of mine has a plug clipped into it to fill the hole so I wondered if they were actually designed for some purpose or if they may have been used at the factory and that's it.

That is where the center stand goes. Those holes hold the front breace and just behind that you will see a plate that is flat but angles upward with two holes also. Look in the tech section under freebird centerstand and you will see.

Well, I know that is where Don's center stand mounts, but in the initial design of the bike were they thinking of using a center stand and just didn't put one on? Were they thinking about after market center stands?

If they were for a center stand in the first place, why didn't they just put one on?

Well, I know that is where Don's center stand mounts, but in the initial design of the bike were they thinking of using a center stand and just didn't put one on? Were they thinking about after market center stands?

If they were for a center stand in the first place, why didn't they just put one on?

You got me on that one. I think they planned on it but just didnt. Most of the newer cruisers dont have them so they could save money. Just kind o convenient that it is set up perfectly for it not to be planned

I was told once by somebody that they were used for a display stand but that doesn't make sense to me that they would go to all that trouble to do it on every bike. I suspect that they are used in the manufacturing process to bolt the frames down during some of the assembly process or something. Gotta be a good reason..just not sure what it is.

I suspect that they are used in the manufacturing process to bolt the frames down during some of the assembly process or something. Gotta be a good reason..just not sure what it is.

That was one of the thoughts that I had as well. It's nice that they're there though, huh? Sure makes putting a center stand on easier, huh?

I've also heard that they were used for a display stand for a dealer - from someone who said he saw a Royal Star displayed that way a few years ago. In '96 when the Royal Star was the new model it was to be set apart from other bikes on the floor and displayed in a special way with the stand. I don't know how many dealers ever did it. Most dealers I know don't have the room for it or don't want to take the room for it. At this point that bracket looks like something that they haven't expended the effort to remove from the design and manufacture of the bike. On my bike I don't see any evidence that there was anything ever bolted to it even at the factory.

I have the answer to that question! The holes were designed by an engineer at the Yamaha production facility to accommodate Carbon One's great jack adapter....

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Dog

Mean Dog I like the way you think. :clap2: Sure does make it convient don't it? :thumbsup2:

I think it actually may have been Don's reasoning thou, both as an intended location for center stands AND part of the manufacturing process. Whatever I like them there.:whistling:

Larry

Did anyone else's have plugs in them? One of the other owners had a horn cable tied to one of the ears, he had the compressor connected to that little "shelf" just to back of that and the other one has a hole plug in it that has a square C type clip on the inside of that......to hold the plug in

They are used in the manufacturing process to bolt the frames down during the assembly process

Yep, yep.....just as Don said and suspects..........

My two cents worth....

Many products that are built on an assembly line contain what is referred to as "attachment points" or "attach fittings" which hold that product "first" as a safety issue, but also in (whatever) position that particular product requires to be held in, for assemby.

In this case, (your question), those particular attach points are used to hold the bike in an upright position for assembly and employee assembly "safety" reasons.

Most products include design capabilities to use the same attach points in thier shipping process for thier product "stability" avoiding damage.

From there, it becomes an open market for anyone to make other products that can "match up" to those attach points, such as the aforementioned lift adapter.

C-ya.........:thumbsup2:

When my scoot was delivered to the dealer , it came with a metal framed base on which the scoot was attached like a centerstand for shipment . The front forks where within a metal bracket with an axle securing them (front wheel and fender removed to shorten up the crate) . Outboard boat motors are shipped very similiar in this manner .

And I believe they are used in the assembly line process as well.

Does anyone know what other scoots use the same RSV frame as well ? Some scoots are nearly the same other than engine size , color and cosmetics .

Gene