IGNORED

2 Wet Carbs

The 2 carbs on the left side of the bike are wet on top.  

Just bought the bike.  2002 RSV with 42K.  Was told the carbs were recently rebuilt.  I don't believe this was so.  I've also noticed that when I rode it home, the corrected fuel mileage was only 28 MPG.  I believe this to be low.  The bike starts and runs very well!  I never have to touch the choke to start but of course it is summer.  That brings me to my next observance.  It appears that the choke does not move in and out much at all.  Only an 1/8 th of an inch at best.  Got down and looked from the bottom and the choke plungers on the left side seem to move very little.  These aer the 2 wet carbs.  

I've owned to RS before.  a 96 and 97 RSTD.  Never had these issues.  I realize now that I need to up my RPMS while riding.  Read that doing my research.  I am runnig lucas oil fuel system treatment through it currently.  

Could this help unstick the choke plungers?  I do not know where the fuel is coming from, I ran out of cleaner, just very wet on top and up into the plastic box above.

Congrats on your new ride.  I coudn't comment on the two wet carbs on your left side, but hopefully someone can respond with a fix.  Try to clean and wipe down the wetness and see if it still persist.  As for the choke, I always have to pull it our halfway on an initial start and after sitting for more than 10 minutes.   Always warm up your RSV to a good temperature before riding.   RSV's need to warm up really good.  

Wet carbs could also indicate stuck floats or needle seats, Is there any gas dripping on the ground from the overflow tubes while idling? If so you will have to remove carbs and check internally that the float and needle seat are functioning and free.

So I did a little cleaning and research.  I got the choke to work.  The slide mechanism sticks.  I can get the choke to open if I pull the knob and push the slide.  So the choke is not stuck.  I think the wetness may not be gas.  Very oily and did not definitively smell gassy.  I was told there was a resent oil change and found that if the crankcase was over filled it would blow oil out the top.  I checked the level and the sight glass is completely full. So, I'm gonna start with adjusting the oil to the proper level and cleaning the mess up.  I also ordered a sync kit because there is a rich smell coming from the exhaust.  

Thanks for all the responses.

50 minutes ago, RDawson said:

Make sure the oil isn’t mixed with gas. They either way overfilled it or the carb floats are sticking and filling the crankcase with gas. 
Read the oil level with bike standing straight up, not on the stand. 

Agreed on the oil/gas mix.  Was difficult to tell as my hands were nasty from other things at the time.  I will check more carefully this weekend.  I did check it standing up with a mirror.  I will get my GF to help me to check more precisely next time.  

Thank You

Take a piece of white paper and place a drop of oil on it. If it spreads evenly  there is a good chance there is no gas in the oil. If you end up with a dark center and a lighter ring around it there could be gas in the oil. Another way is to rub some oil between your thump and finger. If it remains slippery it should be OK but if feels like it is just rubbing away and loosing it's slippery feel than there is likely gas in the oil.

1 hour ago, saddlebum said:

Take a piece of white paper and place a drop of oil on it. If it spreads evenly  there is a good chance there is no gas in the oil. If you end up with a dark center and a lighter ring around it there could be gas in the oil. Another way is to rub some oil between your thump and finger. If it remains slippery it should be OK but if feels like it is just rubbing away and loosing it's slippery feel than there is likely gas in the oil.

Words of wisdom!

Did I say that??

On 7/12/2023 at 7:03 AM, saddlebum said:

Thank you. I like that test method!

• 3 weeks later...

I have two Royal Stars, currently, a venture and a boulevard, and the left rear carburetors are always wet. I can find no reason for this on either bike. I suspect that it has to do with the left rear carb being the lowest as the bike sits and cools down.

As to the oil, the Royal Star takes a smidge less than 3 1/2 quarts. If there is more than this, the engine will suck the excess out of the crankcase through the breather into the airbox. On the Boulevard the air cleaner/air box is right on top of the carbs so I got to see this first hand when I pulled the carb bank. I haven't bothered to look on my Venture because I have not had cause to pull those carbs, and the air filters are up front in the cowling.