IGNORED

Picking up the '86 today!

Today I'm picking up a new to me 86 Venture Royale.  I've owned a Suzuki, 2 hondas and now my first Yamaha.  I am excited about this purchase, mainly because my previous bikes were all garage finds that took literally hundreds of hours to revive and bring back to life.  In this case, the previous owner did all the hard work for me.  All I'll need to do is maintain this beautiful well preserved machine.  I often ask myself, why do I get so excited about old things that have been restored?  What is it in my soul that appreciates taking something that has been disguarded and forgotten and making it new again?  To be restored without doing the hard work?  That is a different concept for me.  In the past I had to buy old bikes because I couldn't afford to buy a new one.  That hasn't changed.  But to buy one where the work has already been done!?  Someone else paid the price of time money and energy and I get to benefit?!  That truely is a concept that is near and dear to my heart!

• Like 2

The '86 should make you a nice bike.  That is not to say that you won't run into a few issues but with the help of the members here, if you need it, you should be good to go.  There are a few things on the old Ventures that can end up needing attention but they will go many thousands of miles with no major issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freebird said:

The '86 should make you a nice bike.  That is not to say that you won't run into a few issues but with the help of the members here, if you need it, you should be good to go.  There are a few things on the old Ventures that can end up needing attention but they will go many thousands of miles with no major issues.

This 86 is a real gem. All the known issues have been addressed. John is very fussy when it comes to machines. It's an awesome machine!!

• Like 2

Thank you guys! The bike passed the safety today with no issues! The guy at the bike shop started the conversation with, “Where do you find these things?”  My heart sank. Thought he was going to tell me something bad about the bike. Instead he said, “That thing is awesome!” What relief I felt when I realized I wasn’t going to have to tell my wife that it was going to cost hundreds to get it on the road!  Thanks to John for keeping this bike in pristine condition so I can enjoy it!!

On 6/27/2023 at 2:10 PM, Scotty and his Scooter said:

Thank you guys! The bike passed the safety today with no issues! The guy at the bike shop started the conversation with, “Where do you find these things?”  My heart sank. Thought he was going to tell me something bad about the bike. Instead he said, “That thing is awesome!” What relief I felt when I realized I wasn’t going to have to tell my wife that it was going to cost hundreds to get it on the road!  Thanks to John for keeping this bike in pristine condition so I can enjoy it!!

I knew that,, why didn't you just ask?

Hey Scotty,

Congrats on your new Scoot! My very first Venture was an 86'VR back in 1991. I put over 150K on that bike before it was "T Boned" out in California! Boy, do I miss that bike! I currently have an 87'VR and an 89'VR, and can't seem to get rid of that First Gen. "Itch"! I wish you many, many miles of smiles on your new bike Scotty. Great Score!

Earl.

As long as you got the leg length to put both feet on the ground it's still one of the best riding bikes out there. BTW it's worth becoming a full member here not just for tech savvy but the social aspect as well. Thanks to Freebird it is one of the best forums on the net.

• Like 3