IGNORED

Oil drip

XV1100SE

Over the winter my '09 RSV has developed a drip.  I put cardboard under the bike to narrow down the location of the drip which is coming from the area above and slightly in front of where a center stand would mount.  It isn't the shifter rod gasket.

It isn't the shock as that is dry and this is closer to the rear tire.  Before narrowing it down I checked the oil drain plug and area ... looks good.  Had checked valve clearance two years ago so I pulled the fake covers, seat, fuel tank...not leaking from above.

Looks like a wire or something attaches on the top of it.  I think it is the back end of the clutch basket.

Any ideas on what it is and how easy to fix?  I'll see if I can get a good picture of it. Can only see it from below the bike.

Edited by XV1100SE

LeakO09_3457.thumb.jpg.4052027a8f8af7a412c1e9824e24e553.jpg

From the Oil Cleaner diagram   https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500441cef8700209bc78e9df/oil-cleaner ....it might be from item "17 Pipe, Oil 1" which looks like it goes to the back of the clutch assembly or at least the general area. 

Looks more like a wire though rather than a tube...and it is on top of what looks like a white metal.

It is definitely oil.

Edited by XV1100SE

Anyone else develop a drip from this point?  Wondering if there is a way to access it.  Can't from below from what I can see.  Wondering if it would be accessible thru the battery area (remove battery and battery box).

Looking for ideas, suggestions and experience.

53 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

I've had this on my mind for a couple of days now, but can't seem to come up with anything,, can't seem to get it down either, but then I don't have a scooter to look at and define the issue, if it is definable.

Well said, Grasshopper!

8 hours ago, Marcarl said:

I've had this on my mind for a couple of days now, but can't seem to come up with anything,, can't seem to get it down either, but then I don't have a scooter to look at and define the issue, if it is definable.

I think you pretty well nailed it on the head....or maybe a few too many bumps to the head....

I called Performance Cycle in Cambridge to get ideas on what it might be.  They have at least one mechanic that has been working on Ventures from the 1st gens.  I remember when I bought my bike I took it to them for the safety and they pointed out some things that the original shop that sold the bike had done some things incorrectly (eg antennas on the wrong side).  Mary that works the counter knows bikes as well and when I spoke with her about it she gave ideas and also got one of the mechanics to look at a used Venture they have to see the area I was talking about.

I'll drop by the shop on Tuesday and point out the area I see the oil on the used bike they have....then take it in on the 24th (I don't expect to get free info and then not get them to do the work).  Suggestion from them is the neutral switch.  That is one of the things I was considering.

I don't think I've ever seen a post of anyone having this issue but the shop said they have changed some out.   Switch is (probably) plastic with an o-ring.  

Other suggestion was the clutch slave cylinder.  I think it is oil that is dripping but I may be mistaken.  Will see if I can collect some of it ... maybe scrape some off the cardboard I have under the bike.  I don't believe the clutch fluid on the handlebar has gone down. 

Is there a good way to tell the difference between oil and clutch fluid?  

Edited by XV1100SE

Looking at the colour of the drips...a goldy colour....now I'm leaning to it being the clutch slave unit.  When I looked at the service manual it recommends changing the seals every 2 years.  Bike is now 13 years old and I've never replaced them (104k km)

Easy to replace?

Edited by XV1100SE

1 hour ago, XV1100SE said:

Looking at the colour of the drips...a goldy colour....now I'm leaning to it being the clutch slave unit.  When I looked at the service manual it recommends changing the seals every 2 years.  Bike is not 13 years old and I've never replaced them (104k km)

Easy to replace?

A bit tricky, have to remove some outer paraphernalia, then there are 2 allan bolts holding it in place as well as the fluid line. After that you need to hold your tongue just right to get it out. Once out, you now have to put the new one back in, and that is even trickier seeing as first off you'll have to remember which side of your mouth you had your tongue in when it did finally just pop or slide out. OH yah, you will have to bleed the sucker as well.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 11:42 PM, XV1100SE said:

Did a search for "neutral switch" and found many posts.  Didn't see anything about how to get to it but will keep looking.  

Clutch slave cylinder...this easy?

Don't know if you found this leak, if you want to check your neutral switch it's a relatively simple job.

Remove the middle gear cover (Don't forget to catch the oil) you will see it.

Three 'star bolts' hold it in. The replacement seal is 93210-29196-00.