IGNORED

Additional information on Keyless Ignition

I will make several posts here with some more details on installation.  First attachment is the wiring diagram for a plug-n-play install utilizing the Start/Stop switch, per the Digital Guard Dawg recommended install.  Connectors were ordered from here:  http://www.cycleterminal.com/motorcycle-connectors.html   A small-business website run by a very helpful guy named Joe.  Joe was very communicative and fast to ship.  I also ordered the connector crimp tool & running lights relay from him.  Total cost, with shipping was $65, but 1/2 of that was the crimp tool.  If you can strip wire, work a crimp tool and soldering iron, this is a fairly straight-forward DIY project.  The one issue I had w/ crimping was putting two wires into one connector pin was tough.  It didn't help that I probably did not have the crimping torque at high enough setting, so the wires were able to be pulled out.  I just proceeded to crimp, then solder the connections.  They aint goin' nowhere now!

Yamaha Venture wireless ignition.pdf

Edited by circa1968
uploaded wrong diagram

I'm going to send the above wiring diagram to Digital Guard Dawg to see if they will consider making a plg-n-play kit for our Venture so that others who don't want to DIY it could just order straight from them.  Please respond here, if interested and I'll send them a link to this discussion so they can see there's enough interest for them to invest the time to develop the kit.

This next attachment is how I wired up my install, including the remote fan switch.  The bike operates 100% as normal/stock with the key.  I could have done the DGD recommended and still use the key, but the start/stop switch would not function, in key mode.  I don't normally use that to turn the bike off because still gotta turn the key off anyways, but I still wanted to keep it operating fully stock w/ the key none-the-less.  Once I decided to use a separate start/stop push button, the idea came to incorporate it into the ignition cover & add the fan switch, which I've always wanted to do anyways.

For power to the remote fan switch, I ran straight off the fan fuse.  Sorry I didn't take pictures of it, but I opened the fuse box, removed the fuse and with a small flat screwdriver was able to release the fuse block terminal.  I then soldered a second wire to the terminal, made sure the little locking spring clip was good and re-inserted, then ran that wire up to one side of the push button.  The other side of the push button goes to the connector inside the lower fairing for the fan.  I also connected this wire to the LED.  So now the LED is on when the fan is on, either by the thermo switch or the manual one.

Copy of Yamaha Venture wireless V2.pdf

And last, but not least a few in-process pictures of my arts & crafts project to make a custom ignition cover.  Mike Eycamp was kind enough to supply me with a spare cover he had in his inventory for the project.  TBH, I was not sure how this was going to turn out and I was prepared to scrap this part of the project & just do the recommended install, if it didn't look 'factory' when I was finished.  I surprised myself and exceeded my own expectations and hopes for how it turned out and looked in the end.

The stock cover is ABS and so I knew I could work with that using the Plastifix product from Polyvance.  Plastifix is, as near as I can tell a very fine ABS powder and strong solvent which 'melts' ABS and fuses everything together.  I've used it on several projects now and could not be more impressed with how well it works.

Being a bit frugal and creative, I started making the two "bumps" from the body of an old busted pop-up sprinkler head I had laying around (never throw anything away!  haha), it is made from ABS as well, so I knew I could fuse it on.  I cut two pieces to equal length, then fused them to pieces of flat ABS stock, then drilled the mounting holes for the push buttons. 

With a little eye-balling, found the mounting angle and cut the backsides at that angle, then used the solvent to fuse/mount them on to the cover.  This was all literally eyeballing everything from multiple angles for symmetry, etc and I was giving myself about a 10% chance that this would come out looking 'right' in the end.  There was zero precision manufacturing going on here, which was hard for my OCD, engineering brain to accept. (A 3D scan, some cad software and 3D printer project kept popping up in my head, but I persevered through that).

Once fused into place, I then proceeded to use the Plastifix filler to infill around the tubes, followed by dremel tool grinding, more eyeballing, more filling, more grinding, more eyeballing, and so on.  At this point I was starting to realize this might actually work and turn out to look good.

I forget what its called at the moment, but Polyvance has another product which is basically bondo for plastics, which I used to do the final 'body work' on the cover.  It was a multistep process of fill, sand, primer, sand, fill, primer, sand, etc.  Just like any other body work.

Once I was happy with the part in primer, went to my local auto paint shop with the paint code & got a spray can of PPG envirobase.  (Note:  2007 blue is technically a 3-stage paint process, but they mixed it as a single stage color, which turns out ever so slightly darker).

For clear I used Spraymax 2k, a two-component urethane clear in a spray can.  I cannot say enough good things about this product.  I've used it multiple times on other projects and finally getting the hang of laying it down wet enough so that if flows out smooth, but doesn't run.  Once cured, its hard as nails and not effected by any gasoline drips which might occur.

Well, that's the long summary of my fun little project. 

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image13.jpeg

image14.jpeg

I will continue looking for push buttons that look more "professional" (for lack of a better way to describe it).  The ones I used are ok looking, but that's it.  There are OEM style push buttons out there that look much nicer, but are larger diameter, which was going to make the "bumps" that much larger as well.  They are also a bit more expensive and since I wasn't even sure if this was going to turn out, I took the cheap/chicken way out.  Might turn into another future upgrade project, but I'm happy enough with it now, as-is.

• Like 1

I have been using Cycle terminals for years to make the plug and play ignition relay kits for the 2nd gen here. While you were making your harness you probably should have added in a relay to not run all the amps thru the switch. I also have made a "keyless" rig for those that wanted a by pass so if the switch did die on them. Those little bitty wires for the 3 wire plug are small. So depending on how your tapping in on them, be careful.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2023 at 5:36 PM, djh3 said:

I have been using Cycle terminals for years to make the plug and play ignition relay kits for the 2nd gen here. While you were making your harness you probably should have added in a relay to not run all the amps thru the switch. I also have made a "keyless" rig for those that wanted a by pass so if the switch did die on them. Those little bitty wires for the 3 wire plug are small. So depending on how your tapping in on them, be careful.

Agree, I will add a bypass relay eventually, won't be a difficult upgrade.  I put the daylight running lights on a separate relay while I was in there, so that at least cuts down on the power draw through the switch from those. 

I didn't see it in any spec, but Digital Guard Dawg told me the module is designed to supply up to 30A, when I asked.

I didn't touch, cut or modify any factory wires, did all that in between the new connectors I added.  I also thought about adding a hidden 3rd switch in parallel, as you suggested, in case the keyless module AND key switch both failed.  But in the end decided that's what I pay AAA for.  😉

Edited by circa1968
typos

Quick update on my communications with Digital Guard Dawg regarding having them make a plug-n-play solution for our Ventures.  They were very interested, saying they want to add more models to their lineup of p-n-p solutions and asked for more info. 

I shared all my documentation, connector part #'s, wiring diagrams and pics with them via a google drive earlier today and can see that they have been accessing it.

https://www.digitalguarddawg.com/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

That's a great looking project... And useful too!!

The only suggestion I could make is to add a schematic for those of us who have already installed the ignition bypass harness. A how to guide for plug and play...Digitaldawg might need that.

I'm debating this project.... Cause my riding days are winding down. Sad to say. It's getting really scary out there. Near misses seen to be the norm instead of the exception. Add to that, an inner ear infection caused me to have serious balance issues for almost 3 months. Walking was a problem so riding was not even a thought!

Great idea though!!!

D

I dont know where gaurd dawg is plugging in. But I would think if its "plug and play" it would have to plug in where the ignition switch does. So all that would be done is just remove the ignition side of relay and plug in the GD unit if it is truly plug and play.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 7:00 AM, videoarizona said:

That's a great looking project... And useful too!!

The only suggestion I could make is to add a schematic for those of us who have already installed the ignition bypass harness. A how to guide for plug and play...Digitaldawg might need that.

I'm debating this project.... Cause my riding days are winding down. Sad to say. It's getting really scary out there. Near misses seen to be the norm instead of the exception. Add to that, an inner ear infection caused me to have serious balance issues for almost 3 months. Walking was a problem so riding was not even a thought!

Great idea though!!!

D

Thanks.  I still need to install the keyless gas cap to finish this project off though.

Install is a combination of plugging into the ignition switch connectors and the on/off switch on the right handlebar (this connector is inside the fairing).  Their standard install uses the on/off switch to essentially turn the keyless module on and eliminates the keyed ignition switch, so no reason your bypass relay wouldn't work.

I just checked and don't see a p-n-p kit for the Venture on their website.  I shared all my documentation with them via google drive and can see they have accessed them.  They seemed genuinely interested in adding more models to the p-n-p offerings, so maybe still in the works.

BTW, I rode through Phoenix area last fall, I-60 if I recall correctly, hit it Friday afternoon, probably the worst possible time.  One of the few times I've been genuinely butt-puckered scared on a motorcycle (ok, maybe more than a few).  There's what 6 lanes?  Most doing 90+, criss-crossing across all lanes to/from exit/entrances that seemed to be about every 1/4 mile.  It was only really bad for about maybe 10 miles, but wow - won't be doing that again.