IGNORED

No start problem

CrazyHorse

Over the winter have been starting my 1st gen once a week battery is on charger. Cranks fine, up on center stand gets spark to all cylinders it just will not start bike is in Neutral, full of fuel with Stabil fuel is filter is a few months old. I did manage to break my throttle cable though. Have sprayed starting fluid in still wont fire. If starting fluid cant get it to fire I dont know what will.Im confused since I have spark. Any ideas?

What I would do.. Pour a little fuel down the throats. If no backfiring or even acting like it wants to start I would replace the plugs. This hurts if done wrong but pull a plug and put the wire on it. Now hold the plug so its grounded and turn the engine over. You should get a good spark at the gap. I would also try a different plug than the last one you checked.

Your getting spark so something should ignite. I don't trust starting fluid.

Try putting the cover back on and choke then un choke it. Does the throttle cable run to the cruise control? Do you see the sliders operate when pulling on the cable? I'm lost too at this point. Gas and Spark usually result in fire :rotf:

Guest bigtruck

when i was doing my battery cable upgrade,i tried to start it with the airbox off.I got it going after a lot of trying.It didn't want to start.And when it did,it ran like crap.Than ran fine with the airbox back on.The airbox makes a difference in the fuel to air ratio.

Question: Where are you putting, pouring the starting fluid.

Is it a spray starting fluid and is it eyther

if you take out a plug is it wet or dry

If all else fails, try something stupid, such as: Get on the scoot, put up kick stand, squezze the clutch, check the emergency shut off, turn the key, wait for fuel pump to stop, choke a little, and turn it over. Don't laugh I seen it work, in my own shop.

Other thing that comes to mind is that I would replace the cable before I'd get to any really serious stuff, you just might find your answer in that process.

I have a couple thoughts on this thread.

I would make sure the battery is fully charged, so as not to be cranking too slow.

I would remove all the plugs and verify they are all dry, hoping to see some wettness on them to ensure fuel is getting to them. I use starting fluid to dry them out, depending on your outside temp will determine how long it will take for them to dry, air psi works well to clean them off and have even lit them on fire away from anything flamable.

If when you have inspected the plugs they were soaked with fuel, I would consider putting a small amount of engine oil down each cylinder and cranking the engine over without plugs in. It is possible you might have flooded each cylinder excessively to the point of washing the cylinder walls and lowering the compression to the point it will not start. Oil will increase your compression. I would also add if this in fact was the case of excessive flooding, I would change the engine oil once you have gotten it running.

you are pulling on the throttle cable, I have seen in the past a few of my bikes that would not start if I gave it any throttle. Full choke only.

Hope it works out for you,

David

you are pulling on the throttle cable, I have seen in the past a few of my bikes that would not start if I gave it any throttle. Full choke only.

Hope it works out for you,

David

This is a good point David made. My 83 is one of those bikes that does want to start if you give it much, or in some cases, any throttle. Especially when the system is somewhat compromised to some extent, like with a fouled plug or something.

RandyA

Mine is another one. Full choke to start. Backing off as it warms up.

I'm still going with dead plugs underv compression. And check that kill switch. Remember hearing of someone that spent three hours in front of a bunch of people before finding that!! Wouldn't know who...