IGNORED

MY 83 XVZ1200 / Flooded

larrydr

I normally run my 83 till it warms up till the fans kick in every 5  days in my shop ...I missed a week because the fuel ran out .. I added fresh fuel yesterday and tried to start it and it would not ...I found a severe flooding condition on 3 of the 4 cylinders , and it took quite bit of trying for all the cylinders to clear and run ...I found that I had a dried up hard rubber fuel line and thought that there might have carburetor  problem ...I will be replacing the fuel lines but is it possible that there is a carburetor problem after sitting dry for a week ?

Some will say things about ethanol being a culprit, drying up and leaving residue, and that might well be the case. If it is then some carb cleaner in the fuel could clean that up for you. Lots of cleaner, little bit of fuel, so a rich mixture. I lean toward having some of those dried up rubber particles ending up in the carbs and to fix that would mean removal and cleaning. You would not be the first one to have that happen.

Just now, Marcarl said:

Some will say things about ethanol being a culprit, drying up and leaving residue, and that might well be the case. If it is then some carb cleaner in the fuel could clean that up for you. Lots of cleaner, little bit of fuel, so a rich mixture. I lean toward having some of those dried up rubber particles ending up in the carbs and to fix that would mean removal and cleaning. You would not be the first one to have that happen.

Now if it were my bike, in the fall after last ride, I would fill the tank, add stabilizer or SeaFoam, close everything up nice and drain the carbs, then see you in the spring. I'm thinking that by running it, even to the point you said, will only semi-warm up some of the internals or externals just enough to have moisture cling to or migrate to them, and that causes problems.

5 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Now if it were my bike, in the fall after last ride, I would fill the tank, add stabilizer or SeaFoam, close everything up nice and drain the carbs, then see you in the spring. I'm thinking that by running it, even to the point you said, will only semi-warm up some of the internals or externals just enough to have moisture cling to or migrate to them, and that causes problems.

When I run the bike , I would run it till the rad fans have cycled several  times and the temp gauge is at a full operating temp before shutting it ...Sometimes that amounts to a half hour ....When the choke comes off at startup I wait a couple of minutes then run the rpm at about 2000 rpm till the temp gauge is right up and then back to idle before I shut it down ...This may be all wrong , but then that is my bad ...

11 hours ago, larrydr said:

When I run the bike , I would run it till the rad fans have cycled several  times and the temp gauge is at a full operating temp before shutting it ...Sometimes that amounts to a half hour ....When the choke comes off at startup I wait a couple of minutes then run the rpm at about 2000 rpm till the temp gauge is right up and then back to idle before I shut it down ...This may be all wrong , but then that is my bad ...

We all do things differently, that doesn't make you or me wrong, just not the same.

• Like 1

Doing things differently Is true. In my case I dump in stabilizer or seafoam, fill the tank with fresh gas from an ethanol free pump, go for a short ride to get it well into the carbs then top the tank to remove any air space that can contribute to condensation. (I'm Lazy what can I say) Plus I will take the odd ride on a nice winter day.

5 minutes ago, sleepy2 said:

Just curious where you get ethanol free gas!

https://www.pure-gas.org

Didn’t look to see it Canada is supported.  Here just outside of salt lake you can get ethanol free at pretty much half of the stations.  What octane may differ a bit but I’d rather run low octane ethanol free than have another attack to my systems.  F150 and Duc both get ethanol free exclusively.

20 hours ago, sleepy2 said:

Just curious where you get ethanol free gas!

Our local Co-op gas station here in Southern Manitoba  has the Premium Grade Ethanol free gas ..The only thing is it costs us $7.60  per gallon....The is a sign at the pump saying Hot Rod Fuel ...There a large demand for the Ethanol Free gas here and every one does hope that Premium will remain Ethanol Free