IGNORED

06 RSTD Mechanic / Shop Recommendation in Charlotte NC...

llaczo

Hi all, I have a 2006 RSTD that I've owned since it was new. I purchased it in PA and moved to Charlotte, NC shortly thereafter. Most of the service on the bike was done by a shop that went out of business about 24 months ago. I had some basic service done at another local dealer, but I'd like to find a new shop to take care of her. Can anyone recommend a mechanic / shop in the Charlotte, NC area that has experience with these bikes? Thanks in advance!

--Lou Laczo 

It may be a good time to start some of the repair yourself ...You might surprise yourself how much the repair you can learn to do yourself , with a manual and a few small simple tools ....I am 75 now and I grew up on a farm in Southern Manitoba Canada and there was little help back then for any repair in the early 1950's ...Take your time read the manual carefully and find a friend who knows some of the mechanics ..  I am a bit to far away from  you or I would say bring it down ...I spend most of my days working on old bikes  

• Like 1

Hey Lou,

I second what Larry said! It would be easier to find a Unicorn than to find an independent shop that will treat your bike the same way that you will. And like Bpate said, the dealers won't work on these bikes now because of their age. Pick up a Metric Tool Set, roll up your sleeves, bring up the VR.ORG Forum on your computer, and dive right in. There is NO better feeling than completing a service on your own motorcycle and patting yourself on the back for a job well done. Trust me Lou, we won't let you get into too much trouble! Feel free to PM me if you need a "one on one" about a service on your scoot!

Earl

• Like 5

And if you really get stuck and your fellow countrymen fail in providing the assistance you need, we the Canuckians will just jump in there to bail you all out, trust us, we've done it before,,,,, 'member when we burnt the out-house,,,, uhhhh White'ouse?    We did that didn't we??

• Like 1

Another vote for DIY. Plus along with getting the proper manual which you can download for free if you look this one  http://www.venturerider.org/manuals/RSService.pdf should be close enough for most of the work until you find one specific to your year and model. Also the tech section here is full of advice plus does and don'ts experiences posted by by other members over the years, some who have learned the hard way :bang head:.

Finally this site has the best  technical support you get  any were from many knowledgeable and experienced members right here on the site. Many who also started out very green but over the years have developed a pretty good handle on things. True there are very rare occasions were someone may post questionable advice but in most cases if you wait a little before jumping in with both feet, another member or more, with a little more knowledge and experience will step in with a valid contradiction and explain why that advice may not be as good as it sounds. Plus since there is often more than one way to skin a cat, you will often end up with more than one good idea to perform certain tasks, not always based on right or wrong but often geared towards what one has at hand to work with. Lastly If your lucky there may be a fellow member within a reasonable distance that will come to you or allow you to come to them to help you learn your way around the bike.

• Like 3