IGNORED

Rear Disk Question?

stardbog

I'ts time to order new rear break disk, last year on the way from Minesota's PiP rear inner pad is broke and touch metal to metal, for quick fix i'm replace pads only, but rotor has some damage and inner pad has almost twice wear then outer one. Found good performance break dealer at Chicago motorcycle Show, and they ask me is it my rear disk floating or nonfloating:confused24: I have no idea what they asking me for.

This two are listed For Royal Star Venture DF 463 W, and DF 498 W Please can you help me to figure out wich one is right disk for rear brake

Thaks.

I've had my rear rotor replaced. When I inspected it the rotor appeared to be firmly fixed to the rear hub. It didn't look anything like the two you mention.

The other thing is many people swap the inner and outer pads when they have the wheel off. This compensates for the tendancy for one of the pads to wear out faster than the other.

Rick Butler is the undisputed guru of the RSV rear brake (IMHO). He has done significant mods to his RSV to help him control the tendancy to lock up the rear. I would suggest you PM Rick for his input. Maybe he'll chime in.

I'd be very interested in which one you choose. I may have to replace mine again as it is pulsing like it is warped, which is why I had it replaced the first time.

Don't care about what you have now ...

Take the floated Disk an be happy with it. Only Thing is, the Disk should have the correct Diameter, Boltpattern and Boltdiameter. A floated Disk is better in any Circumstances.

Eck and Squeeze. Thanks for the information. I'm smarter today than I was yesterday. I'm going with a floating rotor on my next replacement after Starbog figures out which one to use. It looks like the 498 is the floater. I'd have to check the dimensions agains my shop manual.

OK lets order floating one.

One more question. What is inner diameter for RSV stock disk, that's what realy make diference between those two disks.

Jon, If you still have old disk try to find'em, and take measurments ( Make sure is metric ) as squeeze say bolt patern, internal and external diameter

DF 498 W - Int @ 132mm, Ext @ 320mm

DF 463 W - Int @ 115mm, Ext @ 320mm

And I'm talking about 2nd gen RSV

My replacement rotor was under warranty and the dealer had to send the old one back. I'm thinking on buying the floater and be done with it rather than haveing the stock one warp out on me every 6 months. I'm not due for another rear tire for about 6 more months, so I don't plan on having that part of the bike apart. That is when I'd probably go for the floating rotor replacement, depending on what they cost.

Just got home and saw your request for info on the brake rotor. That is my project for this evening.

For the '99 RSV the Yamaha P/N is 4NK-258W-00

OD= 320mm

ID= 198.5mm

Bolt Pattern= 6 bolts @ 215.9mm BC

Thickness= 6.9mm

Call if you need more info.

Fitz

• 3 weeks later...