IGNORED

Brand new first time Venture owner - Need help?

Hey Guys,

I just bought a used 1986 Yamaha Venture XVZ13. 

I dont know anything about this bike except that I always wanted one. 

I need help with everything! so lets start with a couple of things, I'm told this bike has an air suspension compression system? where is it? how do I use it or see if it is still functional. 

How do I get the seat off?

I own a BMW adventure bike as well, and it is quite tall, this venture is lower much lower is there a way to sit higher? does air compressor help that at all.

the shifter is odd to me, as i have never had a bike that shifts with my heel?

please help me get comfortable with this bike.

thank you so much!

28 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hey Guys,

I just bought a used 1986 Yamaha Venture XVZ13. 

I dont know anything about this bike except that I always wanted one. 

I need help with everything! so lets start with a couple of things, I'm told this bike has an air suspension compression system? where is it? how do I use it or see if it is still functional. 

How do I get the seat off?

I own a BMW adventure bike as well, and it is quite tall, this venture is lower much lower is there a way to sit higher? does air compressor help that at all.

the shifter is odd to me, as i have never had a bike that shifts with my heel?

please help me get comfortable with this bike.

thank you so much!

The air suspension is controlled on the right side fairing above the CB controls.  It only operates with the key in ACC position.  There are fixes you can do to if it doesn’t come on or operate correctly, but start by seeing if it has life.

air suspension will raise seat height.

seat is bolted to the frame on each side underneath.

the heel toe shifter I believe is a modification if it has been converted to floorboards rather then pegs.  Use the heel to shift up and toe to shift down.

Edited by Pasta Burner

If it does not have the CLASS system(compressor and controler) then the front suspension has a schrader fitting on steering head next to the ignition lock. DO NOT USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR TO ADJUST FRONT SUSPENSION!!!!!

The rear suspension has a schrader fitting and a damping adjustment knob below the seat on the left side to the rear of the side cover.

Edited by luvmy40
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, luvmy40 said:

If it does not have the CLASS system(compressor and controler) then the front suspension has a schrader fitting on steering head next to the ignition lock. DO NOT USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR TO ADJUST FRONT SUSPENSION!!!!!

The rear suspension has a schrader fitting and a damping adjustment knob below the seat on the left side to the rear of the side cover.

How do you adjust  the front then?  Is it connects to the rear?  Never seen one without CLASS so just curious.

15 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

How do you adjust  the front then?  Is it connects to the rear?  Never seen one without CLASS so just curious.

Mine does not have class.  Yes, a Schrader valve on a bracket mounted to handlebars, right next to key.  Best to use a hand pump. I only run a couple psi in my fronts (with progressive shocks) helps keep pressure on the seals.  

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 1:47 PM, Callum said:

Hey thanks for getting,

mine is not a royale its a xvz13? but the previous owner thought this bike had it. so there are no controls or cb on the right side panel, it is unspoiled so to speak

If it's not a Royale it didn't come from the factory with the air suspension on it. It's alsi called the CLASS system here on the forum. 

5 hours ago, Squidley said:

If it's not a Royale it didn't come from the factory with the air suspension on it. It's alsi called the CLASS system here on the forum. 

Every gen 1 Venture I've seen has had air suspension front and back from the factory. The Royal had the CLASS controls, the standard had manual fill and dampener.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

Every gen 1 Venture I've seen has had air suspension front and back from the factory. The Royal had the CLASS controls, the standard had manual fill and dampener.

Just so their's no confusion in my statement. You are indeed correct, all 1st gens and for that matter 2nd gens came with air assist suspensions. The 1st gen standards were manual fill while the Royale's had the CLASS system.

This might of some help to you as it is the owners manual for the 1987 Venture\Venture Royale.  There isnt a lot of difference between your 1986 and the 1987 and will provide you with some information you might need.  https://www.venturerider.org/manuals/1987-owners.pdf

There is also a service manual for the 1986-1993 Ventures available here if you want more in depth servicing on the motorcycles.  https://www.venturerider.org/manuals/1986-1993 Yamaha Venture Service Manual.pdf

Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Rick F.