IGNORED

Gas Price

GeorgeS

Two years ago I took a job as an analyst working from home. Recently our company reorganized and it was announced that I will need to work at our regional office...60 miles away!! There goes two years of "savings".

but they don't have to drive 10 miles for a gallon of milk .. they can get that on every street corner..

I know i am not politically correct or even close to being enviromentally correct (dont you dare talk to me about the greenhouse warming B.S) :stirthepot:but I hope I never need a "reason" for hopping on my scoot with my wife on a warm sunny day and just enjoying the ride. Im afraid oil prices in this country will get like those uk prices soon and stop a lot of this enjoyment for folks. If the middle east can sellgasfor 25 cents a gallon the usa should be able to do it for $1.50 a gallon.. PUNCH THE DAMN HOLES IN ALASKA! then we have some time to think about alternative sorces.:scratchchin:

ok tree huggers have at me!:225:

Doesn't matter how much oil they get out of the ground it still has to be refined. Plus you have the folks playing in the commodities market. Too many speculators are jacking up the price per barrel as well. So we get a nice combo effect. Besides I don't think the oil companies are in that much of a rush to do anything look at their profits. They're making money.

Oh our prices are at 3.75 - 3.79 for regular, at least they were yesterday.

Margaret

Guest jeffnoren

We just were in the Netherlands where the price was 2.23 Euro per litre...that works out to just shy of 15.00 per gal...and here in dear old Alberta where we grow and refine the stuff, we are paying 1.24 Can per litre or about 5.00 a gal

No justice!...So hang on!

I know i'm not the smartest person in the country, But didn't we just give A 2nd country back to it's people (Iraq the first being Kuwait). If i remember correctly, both of these countries have more then ample supplies of what we are paying way too much for. These 2 countries in my opinion should give and I mean GIVE ,not sell us the oil for payment. Where was I when it was decided that the USA was the welfare man to all oil rich counties, only to have them Rape us for Payment of their ( I should say our) Oil. But Nooooooo we continuie to give AID (?) Money ,food, TROOPs. Some body tell me, What are we getting in return?:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

but they don't have to drive 10 miles for a gallon of milk .. they can get that on every street corner..

I don't know where your Expertise comes from, but living in the Country makes you drive or ride for buying anything.

Just because those little Shops every small Town has had, are just plain gone. Wally Worlds European Brother's and their Price Policy, Customers with sewed up Pockets, our Tax System and the Retirement of the old Owner have made them gone. In the most Towns even isn't a Bakery anymore. Fifteen Years ago, each ten Buildings 'Town' had a least two of those.

Of Course, that's no Problem in the big Cities, but it is when you live more than 20 Miles away from the Metro Areas.

Check out the building going on in Kuwait. They are going to be switching from oil to tourism. Then they could cut off the oil production and not suffer at all.

Diesel in England is more than gas but it is more refined and the engines more developed than in north america. If they had better diesel fuel here we could get the european engines and get great mileage and power.

One common practice of the oil merchants in every country is to send in a super tanker to be filled with oil then hold it at sea untill the price goes up or they get the highest bid for it. This helps drive up the price and it is the middle men doing it.

I don't know where your Expertise comes from, but living in the Country makes you drive or ride for buying anything.

Just because those little Shops every small Town has had, are just plain gone. Wally Worlds European Brother's and their Price Policy, Customers with sewed up Pockets, our Tax System and the Retirement of the old Owner have made them gone. In the most Towns even isn't a Bakery anymore. Fifteen Years ago, each ten Buildings 'Town' had a least two of those.

Of Course, that's no Problem in the big Cities, but it is when you live more than 20 Miles away from the Metro Areas.

Thats depressing thats what I liked about Europe 18 yrs ago never saw a supermarket. Well maybe one in England.

To answer the post.

Local petrol in my cheapest stations is £1.12.9 per litre. Some places will be more than that, but I don't go looking for them...

That equates to $2.25 per litre, or about $9 per US gallon, or $10.12 for a real gallon.

In towns we have more speed humps and traffic lights than you have ever seen in your life, wich makes economical driving even more difficult.

Mind you, I'm not going to get drawn by all the redneck comments, but once that oil is sucked up out of the ground, it will take a lot of time and a hell of a lot of fish to make more. It turns out to be difficult to make the amount of biofuel that we would need - acres of fields an all that. Try not to waste what we have.

The gas prices in my city went to 1.32 a liter a couple of weeks ago, or 5.28 a US gallon. That is part of the reason I am going to the US this year to vacation instead of travelling across Canada.

Me TOO! .... and the town of Los Osos will never be the same again after I leave!!

:thumbsup2:

(soooo lookin forward to bein there in Aug ... hope Jack & Bev are fully recovered soon)

Me TOO! .... and the town of Los Osos will never be the same again after I leave!!

:thumbsup2:

(soooo lookin forward to bein there in Aug ... hope Jack & Bev are fully recovered soon)

Lookin forward to meeting you there in San luis obispo in August !

Another reason the US might be seeing higher prices is that the American dollar has dropped on world markets in value making buying oil from the producing countries cost more. I know our Canadian dollar is up 20% against the US dollar but just kinda holding its own against a lot of other currencies, so when you buy oil from us its gonna cost you 20 % more.

Actually I was reading somewhere that Canada is now your biggest supplier of oil( probably because of the security of supply), but our oil is mostly in the oil sands and expensive to get, it doesnt make sense to get it until the oil is over 40 bucks a barrell.

Brian

Guest Swifty
But didn't we just give A 2nd country back to it's people.

hey, YOU saw that big sign across the aircraft carrier too, eh?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

:rotf:

So what is the Tax per gallon in the Europe market? I was once told that most the cost per liter/gallon was Tax. Our tax in my state is around 50 cents a gallon. If we compaire the prices of gallon per gallon lets remove the tax that the States or country gets per gallon, and see what the difference is. That would compaire apples with apples.

And I am very courious.

Lookin forward to meeting you there in San luis obispo in August !

Brian

Yeppers .... and it looks like we've got more than one thing in common eh? geeez... you riding all the way from Sask? WOW ... what dates and route are you taking? We're leaving Aug 9th and doing the coast (Oregon & Calif) as much as we can.

Yeppers .... and it looks like we've got more than one thing in common eh? geeez... you riding all the way from Sask? WOW ... what dates and route are you taking? We're leaving Aug 9th and doing the coast (Oregon & Calif) as much as we can.

I am trailering the bike down as I just cant quite bring myself to ride a 23 year old bike thats is hard to find parts for all the way down to Cali and back. I plan on Riding a lot while there and driving/riding riding up the coast on the way back after the rally. I have relatives in BC and thought about making the loop to the north. (even if it costs me more...). Take pics and make notes on the way down as thats the way I plan to go home.

I am leaving here on the 9th or 10th and head thru Montana leasurely and prolly south thru Salt lake city and across to Cali from there and then do loop back up via the coastal route. (Ive always wanted to run the coastal highway)

Brian:cool10::cool10:

Edited by friesman

I know i am not politically correct or even close to being enviromentally correct (dont you dare talk to me about the greenhouse warming B.S) :stirthepot:but I hope I never need a "reason" for hopping on my scoot with my wife on a warm sunny day and just enjoying the ride. Im afraid oil prices in this country will get like those uk prices soon and stop a lot of this enjoyment for folks. If the middle east can sellgasfor 25 cents a gallon the usa should be able to do it for $1.50 a gallon.. PUNCH THE DAMN HOLES IN ALASKA! then we have some time to think about alternative sorces.:scratchchin:

ok tree huggers have at me!:225:

IF, and it is a BIG IF,, we could trust the oil companies to be environmentally responsible while drilling in Alaska I would have no problem with it, but how can you trust anyone that has made record profits every quarter for the last 3 years, and gets on the stand under oath and swears the high cost of gas is not their fault? This while at the same time asking for 18 billion in government subsidies because they don't have enough money to fund research? Of course some one will say, but it will be the government's responsibility to make sure they are responsible. And we are going to trust this same government that has given the oil industry huge subsidies over the last three years, and if not for public outcry would have already approved this 18 billion?

I personally question if we really need to drill anywhere else yet.

If nothing else we need to look for alternatives. Brazil already is up to 40% of all their fuel is ethanol, a large percentage of their cars are flex fuel vehicles and they have a decent portion of their auto population running electric cars and hydrogen cars. 50% off all their sugar cane goes to flex fuel production and under their current plan expect to be completely off oil in 5 years.

Edited by hig4s