The HID's are great but if you are looking to try for an improvment on a budget give the Silverstar H4 (#9003) a shot. Drops in like stock, under $20.00 and it is much better than stock. I mounted a set of 55 watt driving lights from Wally World (for under $20.00) tied into the fuse block with a relay and the trigger wire spliced into the high beam on the head light. I installed a toggle on the dash to select rather or not I want them on when I hit the high beam or not.

For about $45.00 bucks it was a heck of a jump in lighting and it doesn't appear to be causing any drainage on the system.

Mike

I had a Silverstar, but the hi beam burned out in less than a year. I was disappointed and stuck the regular bulb back in. I do think it was brighter, though, or at least whiter. Have you guys's Silverstar lasted longer? Maybe I just got unlucky.

Jeremy

I had a Silverstar, but the hi beam burned out in less than a year. I was disappointed and stuck the regular bulb back in. I do think it was brighter, though, or at least whiter. Have you guys's Silverstar lasted longer? Maybe I just got unlucky.

Jeremy

I've had good luck with the Silverstar bulb. Mine actually made it through the accident and I'm reusing it on my new bike.

Jeremy

There are 2 Silverstars that will fit, but only 1 of them is rated for motorcycle use.

Here is an ebay link for a HID light system for about $70, if it will still open.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22575&highlight=HID

RandyA

I just called that company to see about getting some information on that HID system such as does it have a high and low beam. They told me yes but that only the low beam was HID and the high beam was just a standard Halogen. I told them that that sounded backwards as when I need the most light, I have my high beams on. Anyway, they said that their Bi-X or something like that has the HID system on both beams and it is 30.00 more at 99.95. Still very cheap if it adds more light. It also is only 35 watt which would really help me as I have a ton of extra lights on my bike. I may order one next week. Does anyone have this system on their bike?

Dick :):):)

Jeremy

Jeremy,

My 93 has a Silverstar installed by the PO, and I run the KRISS modulator. Have had the bike two years and some, and the modulator is on it's second season, and very happy with both.

DJ

I would only recommend to run a motorcycle headlight which is the H4. The other is an automotive bulb 9003 and not suitable for motorcycle use. Safety first. you do not want that bulb burning out in the middle of the night.

I bought the H4 at VatoZone.

• 1 year later...

H4 is not a motorcycle bulb. They used them in cars before the Japs started using them.

Try this instead.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_24714_100.jpg PIAA Powersports H4 Xtreme White Plus Anti-Vibration Bulb (Single)
Our most popular headlight bulb by far. The Xtreme White is the favorite combination of color and performance. The addition of t ...

Part Number: PIAA-70456

:happy65:

Really? I bought mine from Autozone. What is the bike bulb's number? Anybody know? Where do you get it?

Jeremy

Did some research on this a while back on the Silverstars. Here is the skinny, according to Sylvania anyway. They have a couple designations 9003, which is US and H4, which is european. Has to do with the DOT vs. ESE criteria. You'll see both 9003/H4 on most but not all bulbs. BTW, there is the US Silvania Company and OSRAM Sylvania in Europe. Some of the forums liked the OSRAM bulbs better but they were only certified for ESE, not DOT.

For the Silverstars, you have about 5 different ones; Standard, CoolBlue, Xtravision, High Performance and Ultra. On their package, in the upper right corner, it will have a SU/2 or a PT/2. The PT/2 is for motorcycles and ATVs. Suppose to withstand more vibration, etc. I have not found a ST/2, just the SU/2 in the Ultra.

I have never had good luck with Silver Star bulbs. At one time I had them in all my vehicles and none of them lasted very long at all. I hope your's does better than mine did.

I have a PIAA bulb in my 83 with an 86 up headlight assembly upgrade. I wonder if this "extreme white" bulb would be any better, as that is not the one I have.

RandyA

I'm not sure which of the Silver Stars I bought a couple of weeks ago, but in the interest of knowing just how much brighter it would be I took a photo from the drivers seat at night before and after changing the bulb........absolutely zero difference in side by side comparison. So much for $22.

Come to think of it, it was kind of stupid on my part to switch. I've never been able to run faster than the stock light, anyway.

Jeff

I'm not sure which of the Silver Stars I bought a couple of weeks ago, but in the interest of knowing just how much brighter it would be I took a photo from the drivers seat at night before and after changing the bulb........absolutely zero difference in side by side comparison. So much for $22.

Come to think of it, it was kind of stupid on my part to switch. I've never been able to run faster than the stock light, anyway.

Jeff

Unless you had the camera on exactly the same setting with the same conditions, the camera may have compensated and made them look the same if on auto setting.

RandyA

H4 is not a motorcycle bulb. They used them in cars before the Japs started using them.

Try this instead.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_24714_100.jpg PIAA Powersports H4 Xtreme White Plus Anti-Vibration Bulb (Single)
Our most popular headlight bulb by far. The Xtreme White is the favorite combination of color and performance. The addition of t ...

Part Number: PIAA-70456

:happy65:

On the highway, those really white lights coming at me are at the best annoying and at the worst blinding. I don't like them and as a result don't think I should be putting them on and doing the same to someone else. Been thinking about trying the ones below but have been kinda stalling since the reviewers both mention them being best for inclement weather. Anyone have any experience or even an opinion on the yellow lights?

PIAA Powersports H4 Ion Crystal Bulb (Single Pack)

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_24717_200.jpg http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/graphics/cc_thumbsup.gif CruiserCustomizing Staff Pick

PIAA's patented Ion Crystal technology is a brilliant way to improve your visibility in inclement weather conditions.
The Ion Crystal puts out an amber/yellow light that's less reflective than white light to greatly reduce the amount of glare in extreme fog or blizzard-like conditions.
Greater definition in snow makes this a superior snowmobile headlight bulb.

Bulb Type: H4 Anti-Vibration
Wattage: 60/55W=110/100W
Color Temp: 2500 Kelvin