IGNORED

2018 Venture shifting stiffness.

ZephyrChuck

Does anyone else, that has a 2018 Venture, have a stiffness with the shifting? Mine really snaps as you shift into any gear, up or down. When I took it in for it's 600 mile check-up, I asked them to ride it and let me know if that was normal. I was used to my 2005 Tour Deluxe and 2007 Venture transmissions which shifted much smoother. My wife even made a comment from the back seat on how she felt the shift, everytime I shifted. Anyway, the Yamaha mechanics said it was normal, but I thought I would check with other owner riders, to see what they have to say. Appreciate any comments.

20190822112636.jpg

--

I don't know the exact mileage, but somewhere above 20,000 mine started getting smoother. Or at least, that's when I noticed it. Of course it could always be that around then was when I started getting more used to the bike and was working more in sync.

--

I am thinking the bike just needs a little TLC during its break-in period. FWIW, I've noticed some hard shifting on my Gen II RSV on some days but not all. (I know, the RSV and the TC and completely different bikes) However, this can also be an indication that my RSV will need an oil change soon.

I have only had the privilege of working on ONE SVTC so far. It came to me indirectly after visiting our local Yamaha Dealer which happens to be 1 block from my house. The owner, (Not a VR.ORG member) had a few complaints that were not addressed by the dealer, but because of my relationship with said dealer, the bike was referred to me. I bled the brake and clutch fluid master cylinders and was surprised to find a large amount of moisture and actual solid particles in both the brake and clutch fluid. It also appears that the large amount of heat generated by this particular engine shortens the life of the clutch fluid in my opinion. After the fluid flush, both the braking action and clutch shifting improved greatly. Of course, your results may vary.

Because of my very limited exposure to these new machines, I have not been able to create a list of known issues...YET. But as time goes on, I hope to be able to comment on the pluses and minuses of this new breed of Venture. I did have the opportunity to take this bike for a short ride. I was impressed with the center of gravity change vrs. the RSV, the saddle to ground distance was to my liking, (I have a 36" inseam so usually I can ride ANY "TALL" bike) and was very impressed with the torque of this engine. Also, the vibration was much less than I expected, BUT it is still a V Twin. I did get trapped at a signal light for an extended period of time and found that the heat generated by this engine at a standstill was much greater than on a First or Second Gen. These are ALL newby observations as I have yet to go to my local Yamaha Dealer and test ride the new generation SVTC.

Because I "tinker" with every vehicle I have ever owned, I would not hesitate to change out brake and clutch fluids, switch engine oil, and do everything in my power to customize my vehicle to make it perform to my liking. Because of the relationship I have with my local Yamaha Dealer, he knows that I will take the time to make minor adjustments and change fluids that can't be done at the dealer under the normal Warranty Coverage. The owner of the bike had to pay for this "extra" service, but because the owner was very happy with the outcome, he will return to the dealer with a much better attitude for his regular scheduled maintenance under warranty. This keeps the owner happy, and is why the dealer refers these bikes to me.

The point I am trying to make here is DON'T ASSUME that because your bike is "NEW", that everything is as it should be. These motorcycles are MASS PRODUCED, by human beings, and the person doing the work on your bike that day during assembly may NOT be putting 100% effort into their work for whatever reason. If you are having an issue with an area of your motorcycle, DO THE BASICS FIRST! Try changing fluids, make those minor adjustments, adapt your riding style to get the most out of this major investment you have made in this new machine.

Congrats to everyone who have embraced this new technology in the evolution of the Venture, I wish you many, many miles of enjoyment!

Earl