Hi,

I seem to have a problem with something getting wet and causing poor running.This has gone on for 2 years

83 VR runs perfect when dry or even damp, but after 25 or 30 miles in a medium to heavy rain, the bike starts to run poorly.....Seems to want to miss and cut out

I've wondered about the TCI connections or the plug wires... any other thoughts...

Thanks in advance for any info,

Clay

From what you describe, I suspect that the high voltage is finding a shorter path through the damp and not delivering spark as it should. How's the condition of your HV components like plug leads, coils etc ?

GE makes a silicone grease product that I have used to good effect on such problems on car engines to water proof ignition wires etc but the real cure would be to replace the deteriorated damp sensitive parts with good new ones.

I have also used an electric paint stripper type heat gun to selectively dry ignition components one at a time to identify which one is the problem, you could try that too as a diagnostic.

Hope this helps & good luck!

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont.

If you want to fine the problem, wait for a dry day, warm up the scoot and then start spraying it water from a spray bottle, using a stream, not a spray. Go slowly from place to place and sooner or later something will come up. If that don't work use a water hose, but the problem with the hose is that it tends to cover too muach area at one time to be effective in pin pointing the exact location. It sounds like hight tension wires but could also be in the charging system or electrical system. If it misses, my gues is high tension, but if it starts just running crappy, it could very well be a drain in the electrical.

Guest suprwrench

When diagnosing a high voltage breakdown in your secondary system, the water bottle is an excellent tool. However, you might also consider doing this in a dark area or at night. If the system is arching externally when an alternate ground source (water=less resistance) is applied it will show up precisely in the dark. If it is severe, you should find an indicator. Also note, that often that secondary system will not misfire unless it is under a load (a hard miss). If it only misfires under a load when wet, you can almost be sure that there is a ignition wire breech arching to a less resistant ground path, or that a coil is braking down. Experientially speaking these are the most probable based on your description. However, there are always exceptions.

Fred

Ditto on the spray water bottle and a dark garage! Had an '81 Lincoln that was driving me nuts trying to isolate electrical problems under the hood. A neighbor came over with a spray bottle in one hand and 6 pack in the other. In half an hour we solved most every open circuit and weak wire in the engine compartment. I sat in the car with it running and in gear with a little bit of gas to load the power and he turned off the gargage lights and started spraying. A pretty good light shows with all the nice blue arcs firing around.

So much for the remove and replace process. Water does the trick. OH, yeah, Don't check the coils on a 750 Trumpet if your hands are wet. Don't ask. :doh:

chocking; Check to see if the engine stop switch on the right control pod is OK. Mine had a voltage drop across it when dry and would not allow the motor to start after washing. I ended up soldering the leads to the switch together and the wet start problem ended. Ride safe, Steve

My plug wires have arced through to the frame before on the 84. Check your wires for cracks in the rubber and look for tight spots such as wire ties on the plug wires tight against the frame or other metal. The pickup coil connector on the lower part of the frame behind your shifter doesn't like water either.

I agree, the Run Stop Sw, and the Ignition Switch.

Use, Electrical Contact Cleaner, ( radio shack ) or, CRC 2-26.

Also, sounds like you need to pull out the TCI, and open it up, and bake it in the Oven, at about 110 deg. F. for couple hours to dry it out.

Also, resolder the Plugs to the Circuit board, inside the TCI.

Also, check your 3 wire Cable, plug, from the Stator, that goes to the Reg/Rectifier Unit. open it and check for Overheating damage, clean contacts, use dialectric greese on the Plugs.

Mine did this, and the tack would freak out at the same time - either wandered around or dropped to zero, don't remember which. It was the connector right on the TCI box getting wet. It had corrosion from time and mileage, exacerbated by battery acid exposure - the battery is right above it and eventually some acid leaks out. (Long live AGM batteries, which don't leak acid!)

Jeremy