IGNORED

My Dad Almost Died But He's Back Home Now

86er

As some of you will recall, my dad had back surgery (at 89 yrs) last month and the anesthesia that they gave him made him a little crazy. He was having hallucinations and paranoia, thought he was somewhere else, thought the wall was the floor ("Why do they have the TV and those pictures on the floor?"), etc. One night, as he was having dinner, the nurse brought his meds in and he said "Isn't this the greatest restaurant? Not only do they have great food, they even bring you your pills!" It was scary, but in some ways it was also rather comical.

Any way, after a few weeks he was released to a rehab hospital. Another week or so there. He kept asking to be taken home because he felt like a prisoner. Slowly the "sundown syndrome" went away and he realized what was what. He said it was great because it used to be that he had to stop walking and rest because his back hurt so much, now it's just his legs that start to hurt, because he has barely used them the last 4 or 5 weeks.

Finally, Wednesday he was released and went home. That night he started wheezing and having a hard time breathing. He said it was like his broncitus coming back. He decided to sleep sitting in his recliner. The next morning he said that he couldn't breath so 911 was called, he was rushed to the hospital (the third so far) and into the ER. He told the doctor that he felt like he was dieing. After tests and ex-rays, the doctor said "You were. Your lungs were filling with water and if you hadn't come in you would have literally drowned." It seems that the other hospitals had each given him meds (some of the same one from each with different names, so he was getting double what he should!) and his body was filling his lungs with water because of them. He was given diaretics, and his body started flushing out the H2O. He spent the next two nights there.

He came back home today and is feeling much better. But he was feeling better before. It's scary how badly hospitals can screw up. If my father wasn't so strong and so much of a fighter, he would probably be dead now.

I am guardedly optimistic, hoping there isn't something else waiting in the wings to bite us, and hoping that the hospitals haven't screwed anything else up.

He wanted me to thank all those that had prayed for him, and especially the VR.o members that signed the get well card for him at the last N Ga Breakfast. Blackjack brought a card and all signed it. I was touched by that as well. Thanks guys!

Sorry this is a little long but thanks for listening.

Thanks for caring.

Thanks for praying.

Thanks for being there...Family.

T

Oh yeah, do me a favor and don't stop praying just yet!!!

Todd we are glad to hear that you dad is ok now you need to have his doctor check the meds to make sure that you wont have any more surprises.

Tell him that we are praying for him and hope he get all well soon Maybe you should bring him to Ashville in august.

Jeff

Todd, I was wondering how your dad was doing. You hadn't said anything lately about his progress.

I know fully well how the hospitals can screw up. My dad was in the hospital some time back and the same story, medication amount was wrong. Dropped like a rock in church, and rushed him back in and they altered the meds. OK after that.

Glad he is doing better, and very good that he is a strong guy.

Best to you and your dad!

Steve

We all know that the big man upstairs is on your dad's side and that he still needs to be here to keep you on the straight and narrow...........Glad to hear he is doing better, hadnt heard anything from you, but since your a working stiff now, thats not surprising..........give me a shout sometime when you get a few seconds.............:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Todd,

Happy all is ok with your Dad now my friend.

Hope you can relax some and enjoy better time with him now that he is home.

As said many times here about this place being one big family...

I have to say that Georgia breakfast group is one fine example of what true VR friends and family truely is, and I'm glad I as able to meet all of them.

Blackjack is a very thoughful person with a big heart...They all are..(even you..:whistling:)

Heck, I might even suprise you all again for breakfast some time too....

Blackjack brought a card and all signed it. I was touched by that as well. Thanks guys!