IGNORED

Wild Fires

Sailor

Have had days of heavy smoke haze here. Sore eyes. The sun is a dark red ball through the smoke. We have about 600 wild fires going with 30 on Vancouver Island which is next to us. Have firefighters from around the world coming in as well as the army. This is worse than last year which set records.

Have had days of heavy smoke haze here. Sore eyes. The sun is a dark red ball through the smoke. We have about 600 wild fires going with 30 on Vancouver Island which is next to us. Have firefighters from around the world coming in as well as the army. This is worse than last year which set records.
That is sad news for sure. With homes and forests being destroyed and hopefully not too many lives lost its not the kind of news you want to hear.

We've had zero significant rain for about 3 months here and for several weeks now the temps have been in the mid to upper 30's celcius with a few days hitting 40+. Fires are everywhere but thankfully nothing close but the smoke is about as bad as it can get. While our situation is bad, I don't think it even compares to what's happening in California.

Here in Calgary the smoke is pretty intense, smell of forest fire is strong today.

I don't follow Canadian news much these days so, this morning I looked up the fire situation it's pretty grim out your way.

Well stay safe..

Reports do say that it isn't as bad as last year, there is less land being burned this year, Less than 50 "Fires of Note" (way fewer than last year) with only one on Vancouver Island, but there are many more smaller & new fires. Try living on the Fraser Valley for smoke! LOL I agree it is still bad but I think sadly this is going to become an Annual occurrence.

Thing that amuses me there is a Province Wide total outside fire ban, but the natives, (our "Guardians of the Environment") who are protesting the Kinder Morgan oil pipeline at their hastily built shanty town/ tent city, (Camp Cloud) have a "sacred fire" burning FFS. & no-one has the cahones to make them put it out! :doh:

Edited by Kretz

We've had zero significant rain for about 3 months here and for several weeks now the temps have been in the mid to upper 30's celcius with a few days hitting 40+. Fires are everywhere but thankfully nothing close but the smoke is about as bad as it can get. While our situation is bad, I don't think it even compares to what's happening in California.

You got that right... Just north of us we have two HUGE fires and they still don't have any idea when they will be contained. We also have a few large ones south of us, and because of that we get smoke and haze in varying degrees depending on the winds... We even have ash falling on the cars over night. Hopefully the weather is starting to cool off which will give some relief to the fire fighters, but the fires are still mostly out of control. What's surprising is that we've only lost 140 homes. I think what they are doing is borate bombing the crap out of threatened structures. Now we have mud slides to look forward to this winter.....

but the natives, (our "Guardians of the Environment") who are protesting the Kinder Morgan oil pipeline at their hastily built shanty town/ tent city, (Camp Cloud) have a "sacred fire" burning FFS. & no-one has the cahones to make them put it out! :doh:

Now this is a controversial subject I try to keep my lip zipped about coz it really irks me.

They have now declared a province wide state of emergency. They did that last year as well, the first since 2003. While not as bad as California it is still bad.

566 active fires.

29 evacuation orders affecting 3050 people and 1521 structures.

48 evacuation alerts affecting 18-20,000 people and 9359 structures.

3808 firefighters on scene and more coming.

I don't know what they term a "structure". Does an outhouse count as a structure?

I think that "spirit fire" needs to be put out immediately, there is nothing spiritual about it.

I think that "spirit fire" needs to be put out immediately, there is nothing spiritual about it.

It's probably on "spiritual ground" .... isn't every part of BC ??? I mean, seems they can declare any place here "spiritual ground" whenever they decide it's appropriate....

OK, mouth and fingers are now zipped....