IGNORED

Dumb sparkplug question?

sleepy2

Just checked repair manual and plug number there isDPR7EA-9 but when I get plugs from dealer or other suppliers they say the DPR8EA-9 are the right ones. Was wondering about a set of Iridium DPR7IX-9 would be OK?

Just checked repair manual and plug number there isDPR7EA-9 but when I get plugs from dealer or other suppliers they say the DPR8EA-9 are the right ones. Was wondering about a set of Iridium DPR7IX-9 would be OK?

the 7 vs 8 I believe is the heat range. Check the plug web site for the meaning of the different number. I like to stick to the heat range stated by the manufacturer but I don't believe one heat range number either way will make a difference except in racing. The IX is Iridium and is OK just supposed to last longer. I am putting them in mine this week.

The parts fiche shows DPR8EA-9.

Leroy is correct, that number is the heat range. If I remember correctly, an 8 will be a cooler plug than a 7. I agree with him that in most circumstances it's unlikely to make a difference.

For regular use NGK DPR8EA-9 (Stock Number 4929 )

For Iridium use NGK DPR8EIX-9 (Stock Number 2202 )

Stock #'s are written on the outside of the box.

I like running the stock 8's, non iridiums and have very good luck with them. As long as I dont over choke so the plugs get blackened I am usually swapping them out at 12k milesish.. I gap at 32 thou (bottom spec) and when I swap em they are usually at the high end of spec. I am a certified bone head and farrrr from any form of an expert on this stuff but one of the things that concerns me with going with a longer lasting plug is that of the plugs getting stuck in the head from being in two long. I have dealt with this on several scoots back when I was restoring for living and can tell ya, if left to long you would swear the plug becomes part of the casting (I know,, sounds crazy but I really have experienced this). Personally,, I would rather swap out plugs occasionally, know I got good plugs and know that I can get em out when I need to..... :2cents:

I like running the stock 8's, non iridiums and have very good luck with them. As long as I dont over choke so the plugs get blackened I am usually swapping them out at 12k milesish..

I use the 7s in mine because that is what the manual said to use. Every once in a while I will make the 25 mile trip to work and never open the choke, I have not had issue with carboning up the plugs. Maybe that one heat range hotter makes the difference?? My plugs have 35K on them and still look and run like new. I do have a new set of plugs and caps sitting on the shelf waiting till they are needed.