IGNORED

2007 rstd

WOW!! I'll bet if you can get your little finger down into the crankshaft hole a little ways, you will feel some threads. From looking at the bolt that is supposed to be there, there is a distance from the head to the threads. I would find an oem bolt and torque it to spec before continuing. Good job on the pictures. Probably saved your engine!

I thank you for all the info you have given me. I would have never known there was a bolt that goes into that hole. OK I get it now a bolt goes there and its hollow. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

I thank you for all the info you have given me. I would have never known there was a bolt that goes into that hole. OK I get it now a bolt goes there and its hollow. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Glad to help out.

I would still get with your dealer and Yamaha Customer Service to at least get a free bolt, washer, and cover gasket out of the deal. Maybe even installed by the dealer with some kind of extended factory warranty.

Really Yamaha? No bolt from the factory?!?!?

This is very curious. There is no way the bolt couldn't have been there at some time. Torquing that bolt on is what forces the flywheel up onto the tapered shaft. The flats on the flywheel center allow you to hold the flywheel/crank when you tighten the center bolt. That bolt gets tightened to about 140 ftlbs (just pulled this off the top of my head, don't hold me to the number).

If that bolt backed out, there's no place for it to go without destroying the stator. Very odd.

There also appears to be some light corrosion on the flywheel and on the housing. I see here this could have occurred since you've had the engine open for a while. This is a wet area and everything should be very clean.

Really looking forward to hearing what the dealer says about this.

RR

Edited by RedRider

This is very curious. There is no way the bolt couldn't have been there at some time. Torquing that bolt on is what forces the flywheel up onto the tapered shaft. The flats on the flywheel center allow you to hold the flywheel/crank when you tighten the center bolt. That bolt gets tightened to about 140 ftlbs (just pulled this off the top of my head, don't hold me to the number).

If that bolt backed out, there's no place for it to go without destroying the stator. Very odd.

There also appears to be some light corrosion on the flywheel and on the housing. I see here this could have occurred since you've had the engine open for a while. This is a wet area and everything should be very clean.

Really looking forward to hearing what the dealer says about this.

RR

The dealer is faraway from me so I don't think ill be going there soon. Yes there is some rust due to it being opened for so long. I will clean that up best I can. I just took the cover off took nothing else off. My pictures are exactly the way it was. It was not there. If if did loosen and fell off it would be under the bike where Im working on it. It is nowhere to be found. I ordered the bolt and washer interesting its on back order. Makes me think how many other people need this. So I have to wait 7-10 days it has to come in from Japan. I'll keep you posted. I thank you for all your help you may have saved my life.

The dealer is faraway from me so I don't think ill be going there soon. Yes there is some rust due to it being opened for so long. I will clean that up best I can. I just took the cover off took nothing else off. My pictures are exactly the way it was. It was not there. If if did loosen and fell off it would be under the bike where Im working on it. It is nowhere to be found. I ordered the bolt and washer interesting its on back order. Makes me think how many other people need this. So I have to wait 7-10 days it has to come in from Japan. I'll keep you posted. I thank you for all your help you may have saved my life.

Just curious where you found the part number on the bolt. It's strange because the manual shows the bolt but I can't find it on the parts list. It shows the pin and washer but not the bolt.

Just curious where you found the part number on the bolt. It's strange because the manual shows the bolt but I can't find it on the parts list. It shows the pin and washer but not the bolt.

I got it off the Hammonton Yamaha dealer web site from the schematics they have. (Atlantic City Cycle Center) It's in the crankcase section.