IGNORED

And this is why ALL motorcycles get a bad wrap

BratmanXj

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/police-crown-point-biker-arrested-after-going-mph-and-weaving/article_1e7838ff-4b83-5bf6-946e-050d358b6104.html

Commuting into work yesterday morning on the MC this kid blew past me IN MY LANE. I was moving at a very good clip and he passed me like I was standing still. 2 exits down the highway I see him pulled over. Tell one of the "car" guys at work about this dufus and I get an e-mail later in the day asking if this was the bike I saw.

135mph on the SHOULDER?!? They don't sweep the highways very well (or often) on the IN side of the state line near Chicago, its all peagravel and debris.

#1 I'm surprised that he was caught. But, he did voluntarily pull over when he saw the lights.

#2 I think it is insane for a LEO to chase a speeder at 130 mph unless the road is empty and it didn't appear so from the article. Chasing a murderer is one thing, a speeder is something else. I just read about a local guy who was clocked speeding and ran from a LEO. The young LEO overdrove his car, crashed and killed himself, and now the guy who ran is charged with murder?

When I was working in southern FL, it was common for the local kids to race from one point to another on their sport bikes on the highways. Dangerous stuff. I had a flock of them pass me several times on the turnpike doing well in excess of a hundred mph, some with their girl friends on the back. I was thinking, I hope they live to have grandchildren.

A local FL LEO chased a sport bike with his Harley. He crashed and hurt himself badly. The pd shouldn't allow LEO's to chase while riding a Harley IMHO. They just are not designed for that purpose.

A few weeks ago I pulled up to work and saw a real Sharp 1200 suzuki bandit sitting outside. I was on the 919 hornet so of course I was admiring this bike.

I always go home at lunch and while I was on my way back to work and I see the bandit and it's owner sitting on the gravel road just north of our work. You could just tell the kid looked confused. I was kind of watching him in my rear view and decided to turn around to see if he needed help. As I got turned around the kid revved that bandit up, dumped the clutch spun it around on the gravel and promptly dumped the bike. I pulled up and helped him stand it up and said "first bike huh" which he replied a weak "yeah".

Well when he dumped it he busted off the left rear view and the clutch lever but luckily someone with a vice grip saw it. I told him that bike is probably too big to learn on (both on CCs and in seat height. I rode it back to work for him and the whole bike had a shimmy, like bad, coming from the front. He wad riding it on a flat front tire. I get to the parking lot and reach for the front brake... nothing... no lever...

I get off and tell him he broke his front brake off too. He said he bought it that way. I told that kid get air in the tire and to get a fricken front brake. Told him he had no business riding that bike with only a quartet of the braking power. Turns out that's how he ended up on the gravel was he rodded up that road and couldn't stop so he ended up on gravel.

Told my buddy that dude doesn't have the mentality to be on a bike. Told him that kid was gonna die on that bike. He told me I was over exaggerating (same buddy that dumped my Bike, this was before that though).

A couple days later I overheard him talking about ordering something from Partzilla and I saw him buzzing around town a few times as well. I chose not to ride with him as I didn't want to be a contributing factor to him killing himself. Finally Wednesday before our Colorado trip I did some overtime at the plant and saw his bike there. Kinda looked as I rode past... STILL NO FRONT BRAKE!!!

Unfortunately that first night on our trip I got a Snapchat of a ball of fire on main street. Buddy said a biker was hauling ass through town and smoked an SUV. Hit it hard enough to turn it around 180degrees. The city blocks in Wayne are only 300ft and they were estimating that he was nearly doing 100mph... with no front brake. He succumbed to his injuries that night. There's still a mass of burnt plastic and chopped up pavement where it happened. You can tell he tried to swerve left to avoid it but the SUV kept coming.

He was a good kid and I wish I would have done more to get him off that bike...

A few weeks ago I pulled up to work and saw a real Sharp 1200 suzuki bandit sitting outside. I was on the 919 hornet so of course I was admiring this bike.

I always go home at lunch and while I was on my way back to work and I see the bandit and it's owner sitting on the gravel road just north of our work. You could just tell the kid looked confused. I was kind of watching him in my rear view and decided to turn around to see if he needed help. As I got turned around the kid revved that bandit up, dumped the clutch spun it around on the gravel and promptly dumped the bike. I pulled up and helped him stand it up and said "first bike huh" which he replied a weak "yeah".

Well when he dumped it he busted off the left rear view and the clutch lever but luckily someone with a vice grip saw it. I told him that bike is probably too big to learn on (both on CCs and in seat height. I rode it back to work for him and the whole bike had a shimmy, like bad, coming from the front. He wad riding it on a flat front tire. I get to the parking lot and reach for the front brake... nothing... no lever...

I get off and tell him he broke his front brake off too. He said he bought it that way. I told that kid get air in the tire and to get a fricken front brake. Told him he had no business riding that bike with only a quartet of the braking power. Turns out that's how he ended up on the gravel was he rodded up that road and couldn't stop so he ended up on gravel.

Told my buddy that dude doesn't have the mentality to be on a bike. Told him that kid was gonna die on that bike. He told me I was over exaggerating (same buddy that dumped my Bike, this was before that though).

A couple days later I overheard him talking about ordering something from Partzilla and I saw him buzzing around town a few times as well. I chose not to ride with him as I didn't want to be a contributing factor to him killing himself. Finally Wednesday before our Colorado trip I did some overtime at the plant and saw his bike there. Kinda looked as I rode past... STILL NO FRONT BRAKE!!!

Unfortunately that first night on our trip I got a Snapchat of a ball of fire on main street. Buddy said a biker was hauling ass through town and smoked an SUV. Hit it hard enough to turn it around 180degrees. The city blocks in Wayne are only 300ft and they were estimating that he was nearly doing 100mph... with no front brake. He succumbed to his injuries that night. There's still a mass of burnt plastic and chopped up pavement where it happened. You can tell he tried to swerve left to avoid it but the SUV kept coming.

I'm sorry he killed himself but it sounds like he should be on the darwin award list.

Reasons why I wish the US would adopt a graduated license system like most of Europe. I've had many friends go "kid in a candy store" when buying their 1st bikes and get something way to large and powerful for their abilities. I've been on dirt bikes for years and its a great learning tool for moving up to a street bike.

It is possible that lane splitting will become legal in more states.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/motorcycle-lane-splitting-could-move-beyond-california-1425678764

But I think that ripping along at 135mph will remain illegal!

zag

I spent 31 yrs in San Diego riding and lane splitting there IS legal BUT here’s the specifICS: You can do 5mph faster that tragic up to 35mph which means you can go 40mph, but above that you’re supposed to merge back in. The problem is that “crotch rockets” are what give bikers in general a BAD NAME. These idiots will do 40mph splitting stopped traffic and typically weave in and out of traffic as well. They regularly just piss off drivers with their antics.

North Carolina currently has a bill going through that will make it leagal to split lanes in stopped traffic allowing the bike to proceed up to the front at a stop light.

Reasons why I wish the US would adopt a graduated license system like most of Europe. I've had many friends go "kid in a candy store" when buying their 1st bikes and get something way to large and powerful for their abilities. I've been on dirt bikes for years and its a great learning tool for moving up to a street bike.

Im not familiar with their “system” Bratman, but there’s a LOT of merit to that idea. First time riders should NOT be allowed to go out and buy a high performance machine that is WAY beyond their skill level. They wanna kill themselves that’s up to them. I’m talking about protecting the innocent bystanders who might be hurt or killed by him.

We are so blessed that's not the case in the USA.

Since I'm a bigger guy, starting on a small bike didn't make sense for my body type. My commute was all highway in all weather conditions day and night with the need to always be carrying gear and supplies. I had no issue learning to ride on my first bike, a RSTD. Self taught. Of course to me speed limits and traffic laws applied no matter what size motor I started with. The difference here is self preservation and not acting stupid with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112938[/ATTACH]

Edited by AABBCC

They wanna kill themselves that’s up to them. I’m talking about protecting the innocent bystanders who might be hurt or killed by him.

Think of the children!

Applying such logic of a graduated licensing system; everyone should start with a very small/slow car and graduate to larger/faster cars, trucks, vans etc right? Speeding recklessly in a car, truck, van is likely to hurt or kill innocent bystanders.

I'm saying speeding laws and traffic laws already cover this issue. If people are going to ignore those laws, they'll ignore other laws too.

Edited by AABBCC

They do indeed give us a bad name. I live right near Sturgis and the only time almost as dangerous as the rally is the rest of the riding season afterwards. People obviously keep a seething hatred of us long after all the attendees get done showing off, running into each other and other stuff, clogging up ER and ambulance services and making a 20 minute drive take over an hour. Motorists cut us NO slack for quite a while afterwards. It's the equal opposite of squids. If your going to get sick here in Western SD you DO NOT want it to happen during the rally while folks with no business riding a full size bike figure it out the hard way! After a few rolling road blocks and half-speed scenic drives I get why people have such a deep bubbling contempt for us. It sucks but its not a mystery. All I can do is try and be courteous and not ride like an ******* in hopes that it's a small offset.

They do indeed give us a bad name. I live right near Sturgis and the only time almost as dangerous as the rally is the rest of the riding season afterwards. People obviously keep a seething hatred of us long after all the attendees get done showing off, running into each other and other stuff, clogging up ER and ambulance services and making a 20 minute drive take over an hour. Motorists cut us NO slack for quite a while afterwards. It's the equal opposite of squids. If your going to get sick here in Western SD you DO NOT want it to happen during the rally while folks with no business riding a full size bike figure it out the hard way! After a few rolling road blocks and half-speed scenic drives I get why people have such a deep bubbling contempt for us. It sucks but its not a mystery. All I can do is try and be courteous and not ride like an ******* in hopes that it's a small offset.

In my few Sturgis experiences, people tend to wave at the goldwingers and ventures. They know we're not out causing riff rafff lol

We are so blessed that's not the case in the USA.

Since I'm a bigger guy, starting on a small bike didn't make sense for my body type. My commute was all highway in all weather conditions day and night with the need to always be carrying gear and supplies. I had no issue learning to ride on my first bike, a RSTD. Self taught. Of course to me speed limits and traffic laws applied no matter what size motor I started with. The difference here is self preservation and not acting stupid with it.

Applying such logic of a graduated licensing system; everyone should start with a very small/slow car and graduate to larger/faster cars, trucks, vans etc right? Speeding recklessly in a car, truck, van is likely to hurt or kill innocent bystanders.

I'm saying speeding laws and traffic laws already cover this issue. If people are going to ignore those laws, they'll ignore other laws too.

When you get a drivers license now to have to prove schooling, supervised driving time under permit, and pass a little more through driving test. The MC license process in IL & IN is take 20 question test to get your permit; come back 2 weeks later and you can road test a cone weave that takes 10 min. The MC licensing system leaves a lot to be desired on education & training. On that note, I have a friend who was a MC instructor for MSF and we'd get a group together every spring to a "Refresher Class" and run through the classwork.

I'm 6'2" 260lb, I ride a bike I feel I can handle and that suites me, I don't believe everyone should be puttering around on 250. I did time riding dirt growing up and had the abilities to transition to a street bike when I decided, I do regular training...but how many people do?

Edited by BratmanXj

The MC licensing system leaves a lot to be desired on education & training.

The only flaw with the current MC licensing system is a loose nut between the seat the the handle bars.

Edited by AABBCC

In my few Sturgis experiences, people tend to wave at the goldwingers and ventures. They know we're not out causing riff rafff lol

I have noticed that from time to time but it's been quite a while since I've been out during rally season. I plan for it so that I can just stay put right here, smoking meats, chillaxing with a good cigar, enjoying the wildlife and summer days. Motorists stay worked up for a bit after everyone goes home, it's a little extra hostility for awhile. I do understand though, it's a major inconvenience for anyone having to go about their daily life while it's all going on.

Another thing that gets us a bad wrap is the guys driving for want of a better term MINI BIKES on the road. Not twist and go 50 cc lost my license bikes, but these scaled down versions of bigger bikes with clutch and gears and all but like 14" wheels. The MOFOs ride in the bike lanes, spit lanes at speed, use the berm at stop lights and all the other things that get people pissed at bikers in general.

There's one guy on a little yellow and black one that i've seen a couple of times now. If i catch him I'm going to jail, because my fist is going explain courtesy to him big time!

Full fledged touring bikes don't seem to have a bad wrap. Now if lane splitting is ever put to a vote in GA, I'll vote against it. It's already bad enough they weave in and out of traffic speeding recklessly as it is, lane splitting will only make it worse.

Edited by AABBCC

I have noticed that from time to time but it's been quite a while since I've been out during rally season. I plan for it so that I can just stay put right here, smoking meats, chillaxing with a good cigar, enjoying the wildlife and summer days. Motorists stay worked up for a bit after everyone goes home, it's a little extra hostility for awhile. I do understand though, it's a major inconvenience for anyone having to go about their daily life while it's all going on.

That's the way to do it! I still like to come up during Sturgis, to keep it going, but I think the best time to come to the Hills and pitch a tent would be right now! Like next week

As far as I know, lane splitting works in England. But I wonder if people in England may just tend to be more motorcycle aware than people in the US. They shave HOURS off their city commutes there (but I think most of that country is city isn't it?)

Think of what happens when 2 lanes merge together.

Lane splitting is nothing more than aggressively passing to over take the lane. Lane splitting is not extra space that's going unused. It's the only space keeping vehicles from hitting the sides of each other. And the shoulder is not a lane otherwise anyone would drive their car in it going around everyone else for that matter.

I've watched videos of people, lane splitting in CA and abroad. Not impressed. Constantly in these videos, no matter the rider, no matter the country, I see these lane splitters making traffic worse for everyone.

Sure, maybe it does shave hours, but I'm thinking it only does so at the expense of others. That the traffic bottleneck is still there, that by passing other cars and over taking the lane they bump others further back. Because the fact is the motorcycle eventually must re-enter the lane and consumes a "car" length anyways!

Now what I would vote for is to take the far left lane on a 3 lane highway and divide it into 2 smaller lanes and there's your split lane!

Edited by AABBCC

Think of what happens when 2 lanes merge together.

Lane splitting is nothing more than aggressively passing to over take the lane. Lane splitting is not extra space that's going unused. It's the only space keeping vehicles from hitting the sides of each other. And the shoulder is not a lane otherwise anyone would drive their car in it going around everyone else for that matter.

I've watched videos of people, lane splitting in CA and abroad. Not impressed. Constantly in these videos, no matter the rider, no matter the country, I see these lane splitters making traffic worse for everyone.

Sure, maybe it does shave hours, but I'm thinking it only does so at the expense of others. That the traffic bottleneck is still there, that by passing other cars and over taking the lane they bump others further back. Because the fact is the motorcycle eventually must re-enter the lane and consumes a "car" length anyways!

Now what I would vote for is to take the far left lane on a 3 lane highway and divide it into 2 smaller lanes and there's your split lane!

It would certainly require a huge shift in driver and rider mentality to be safely done in mass. Although, I do believe that there are times when it is acceptable, and possibly safer to squeeze around a vehicle or through 2 parked people that aren't paying attention. 90% of time when people would lane split it would be unnecessary and I could see people getting hurt

Like the kid on the sport-bike last night who split traffic at a stop light so he could roll through the next two red lights and be on his way. The "filter" effect of getting MC to the front at a light makes sense, seen it done for years in Europe as a MC can easily out accelerate a car and be gone. But doing it just to blow through a red-light in a heavy traffic area?!?

It would certainly require a huge shift in driver and rider mentality to be safely done in mass.

Talking strictly on safety; then without a doubt, lane splitting is less safe. My car, truck or van is much slower to accelerate when changing lanes from a slow roll in traffic. It's going to hurt them a lot more than it's going to hurt me!

Edited by AABBCC

Like the kid on the sport-bike last night who split traffic at a stop light so he could roll through the next two red lights and be on his way. The "filter" effect of getting MC to the front at a light makes sense, seen it done for years in Europe as a MC can easily out accelerate a car and be gone. But doing it just to blow through a red-light in a heavy traffic area?!?

I know this. I'll walk away from it.

I say this to people who think it's ok to ride stupid; You accept your fate, liability and fault. I walk away with a clear conscience. You may not walk away at all. :amen: