IGNORED

Got a compliment , I think

M61A1MECH

I pulled up beside a guy riding a custom Harley yesterday, he looks over at the Venture and says "Good looking bike" , I replied thanks and before I could repay the compliment he says "Is that one of those Kawasaki-Yamahas?" Dumb founded I had to compose my self before I answered, figuring there would be this big fight right in the intersection if I said what I was thinking.

I nicely said "No this is a Yamaha Royal Star Venture". The light tuned green and I got a very nice hole shot jump on him and left him in my dust wondering what just happend.

I pulled up beside a guy riding a custom Harley yesterday, he looks over at the Venture and says "Good looking bike" , I replied thanks and before I could repay the compliment he says "Is that one of those Kawasaki-Yamahas?" Dumb founded I had to compose my self before I answered, figuring there would be this big fight right in the intersection if I said what I was thinking.

I nicely said "No this is a Yamaha Royal Star Venture". The light tuned green and I got a very nice hole shot jump on him and left him in my dust wondering what just happend.

had smiliar situation... told the guy it's new japanese-american hybrid. A Yamaharleyha...and then hole shot him...left him in the dust .:stirthepot:

When a Harley rider asks me why didn't I buy a Harley.

I just reply " I can't afford a Harley ".:whistling:

This way they leave me alone, instead of getting into a heated discussion.

They think is the initial price of the Harley I am referring to, not realizing that I am referring to the cost of keeping it working!:rotf:

They think is the initial price of the Harley I am referring to, not realizing that I am referring to the cost of keeping it working!:rotf:

Or the $5000 after purchase to make it run right.

:clap2::clap2::happy65::happy65::clap2::clap2:GOOD ANSWER!

I have a friend that calls my bike a "Harley-want-to-be" no I tell him it's a "Harley-ought-to-be" It's all in fun.......I think.....

Also a couple of years ago I stopped at a stop light (good thing right?) and this guys pulls up beside me on waht appears to be a brand new Road Start and says to me "nice bike, what kind is it) I say same as yours and ride off.

Jerry

Similar sort of thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I parked my 2004 RSV in an undercover carpark of a shopping mall. When I had finished shopping I returned to the bike and was getting ready to leave when an old bloke idled past in his car, stopped and said, "Jeez that's nice. Is it a Harley?" I said, "No mate. It's a motor bike." The confused look on his face was soon erased by the chorus of laughter from others walking by who were also admiring the machine.

You have to appreciate the rarity of these things in Australia. My 2004 was the 58th bike brought into the country. Not bad for 6 years of importing. That's around 10 a year. And now that they're not going to import any more after this year, mine will grow in value day-by-day. Maybe I should have it gold-plated?

He may just have been confused about the Japanese co-partnerships.. As of the last few years, several models of Kawasaki and Suzuki have been co-produced and share parts. Not sure just which street bikes, but the early Suzuki RMZ-250 and Kawasaki KX250F motocrossers were virtually identical.

So, I see these no-pork threads a lot on import forums. I don't disagree that Harley Davidson is very expensive to buy and maintain but I don't think they're necessarily bad bikes either. So the reason they leak oil is because they get much hotter than water-cooled bikes and therefore must have looser tolerances in regards to seals and torque specs. They are expensive to maintain because the service plans cost so much and quite frankly, if you don't let the dealer do the maintenance, you void your warranty. I've put almost as much in to every import bike I've owned in bolt-on shinies (mmmmm..... chrome....) as I would in a Harley. Harley does do a very fine job with their finish work. Very clean lines, very few bolts showing and almost no seams showing.

Now, the problems I have with Harley Davidson are: 1. I can never figure out what the hell they're called. I don't know what an FLXMNOPRFY is compare to an FRTERLYBHRMN. I would like to see an actual NAME for a model, like.... oh... I don't know.... ROYAL STAR?! I mean, I know what a V-Star is, I know what a Royal Star is and I know what a V-Max is. I now what a VTX is, and I know what a Shadow is. I don't know what LHFNCMBLKEHY means... 2. I can't tell them apart. When I look at ANY import, I can tell immediately what the difference is between them. I go in to the Harley Dealership frequently (with my friend, to get parts... huh... go figure...) and like to look at the different models. Best I can tell, they have 4 different bikes: Baggers, bar-hoppers, V-Rods (thank you Porsche) and Buells. I honestly can't tell the difference between the sub-models. Okay, I can tell a sportster from a fat-boy (they still make fat-boys right?) but other than that, I'm a bit perplexed. 3. You have 3 engines to choose from: not bored, kinda bored and way bored. Best I can tell there are only 2 frames to chose from (except for the V-Rod... thank you Porsche) unless you count the Buell, which I don't think most people do.

So my point is... it's late and I'm too sober.

Cheers!

It's all in fun, I have many friends who ride Harleys and they are great machines. They have a lot more up to date amenities that the RSV should have. I wont get one because of the seating position, I can honestly say that I feel better on an RSV as far as footing position than a Harley....but I really like the looks of the Nightrod

:)

I have nothing against Harleys, Hondas, Suzukis, etc. Matter of fact I like all Motorcycles. But no Suzuki, Honda, or any other mark owner other than Harleys has ever come up to me and say WHY DIDN'T YOU BUY A "HONDA, SUZUKI, ETC.. Rather we discuss the differences, what we like, where we have been, where we like to go, and how much fun it is to ride. Harley's owners have brought this type of ridiculing upon themselves. They have put Harleys in one category and every other bike, biker in another. One can't help but lash out when one's choice of joy and passion is insulted. I am not saying that they all are, but for the most part they have an attitude. I have been shunted many times at gatherings for many events for not riding a Harley. Frankly my dear I don't give a damn. I even stopped waving to Harley riders, after many times of not getting a response. Some of them wave to me prematurely and once close they realize it is not a RoadKing they have this look as if they wish they can take the wave back. My riding partner and best friend just traded a BMW for a Harley (FLHTGQRTSWXYZ whatever that means) but I know him, he could not care less what others think just like me.

Here is why I ride!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7da06b3127ccec0a31bcc757a00000016101IZN2bZqyYg9vPhQ http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc23b3127ccec311b615258600000016101IZN2bZqyYg9vPhQhttp://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7da06b3127ccec0a2cdc5555400000016101IZN2bZqyYg9vPhQhttp://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7da06b3127ccec0a335e7754600000016101IZN2bZqyYg9vPhQ

... Harley's owners have brought this type of ridiculing upon themselves. They have put Harleys in one category and every other bike, biker in another...

Okay, I think I have identified the problem. I was riding my RSV listening to my radio when I heard a Harley ad... it actually said "Harley brings the kind of riding experience that you just can't find on an import..." then went on to say "...it's all about what you ride, what you wear and who you roll with..." Yes, this is a direct QUOTE. Import MC makers don't advertise nearly that aggressively. Unfortunately, most new riders hear ads like this, then they read stories about the 1%'ers of olde (most of which is no longer valid... those days are for the most part long gone) and hear stories from other bikers, many of which are trying to keep the mystique alive by telling biker stories that usually come out more like drinking stories involving a bike. These things build up this mental image in the heads of new bikers, causing them to try to "fit in" to this genre that frankly doesn't really exist anymore.

I agree, as I mentioned above that Harley makes a fine bike. Based on my research (I'm a geek... researching history is one of my hobbies) Harley did in fact invent and damn near perfect the V-Twin motor. Honda was a close second. I also agree that the Electra Glide (or whatever alphabet soup name they give it now), while pretty is a bit cramped. My wife and I tried sitting on one at the HD dealership and we just didn't fit. My wife who knows NOTHING about motorcycles or their lineage picked the RSV because it was the most comfortable we had found (yes, she even found it more comfortable than the Goldwing... mainly because it was easier for her to mount it, and she just felt the Goldwing was just TOO big). I was told by the salesman that HD sells a trunk extension kit that would make it roomier in the back. The RSV didn't need it.

So my point is, as usual, lost because I again don't have one.