IGNORED

Everyone...I present to you; 'Charlotte the Third'....

Congratulations! I still haven't seen the TC first hand.

Wave as you go through Youngstown, OH on the turn pike.

Be careful...if you should see one in the wild...I swear, one can stand with a coffee, sip away, and move your eyes left to right, right to left...and think you are in the Louvre...lol. Yamaha did a fantastic job on the flow metric. I personally, have never seen a nicer looking bike. Everybody is right, they borrowed from many design flows, on the 60's and 70's muscle cars. It's easy to see, when you can stand midships...and move your eyes back and forth.

Keep your cheque book at home....'cause I warned ya....lol!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! I still haven't seen the TC first hand.

Wave as you go through Youngstown, OH on the turn pike.

Even the grey is a beauty in the flesh and I still want one[emoji24][emoji24]

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Anyone taking any bets that Joe is NOT gonna get any sleep Sunday night?! ROFLMBO!

I know,, the lop eared varmint got so excited when he was snapping pictures of her and poking at her that he completely forgot to look thru those boxes of kibbles and bits to find out what kind of SURPRISE those folks at Yamaha had sent him!!!!!!!

Hope those mechanics are the honest sorts when they find that little box of $100 bills tucked in there!!!! :178:

Something missing on that scoot,,, can't seem to find it in the pictures. Hope it gets complete soon!

Yep...I gather you mean, Body Counts, Carl~? :)

Alterations will be made to the motorcycle, I er...predict by around 16:30 hours, either on Monday, or Tuesday, next Carl. :)

"My dear mother loved friends and family ALWAYS, around the kitchen table every Friday afternoon, night and all Saturday. I grew up with that de facto. She was also a world traveler, after my father passed away, that lived to experience what's around the---> next bend. This Charlotte, (her namesake) will have her spirit aboard, constantly, Carl. I felt her presence aboard the GL1500SE, the GL1800, and now in her new reincarnation, on board shortly, the SVTC!

I raise a glass of wine to my mother's memory....born July 13th, 1922, and left this life, and family on March 8th, 2000. The SVTC's 'christening' will be held soon after I get her home...with installation of the bike's nameplate; Charlotte placed on the aft top of the tour trunk. It was there for the GL1500, the GL1800, and will be also, for the Star Venture Trans Continental, Carl. Since the year 2000, we are a trio of riders...I control and steer the bike, my wife is my 'rear', and my mother is now flying as our Guardian Angel, out in front, and above. You go, Mom!" :)

Long live all Mothers and Fathers,...a precious resource to be treasured! They leave us all too soon...

Mother's Day is coming..., you always loved red roses...and of course...'Charlotte' is the color, red, as red as I remember our back yard flower gardens, and the scent of them...(smile)! The ones you always ranked on me to NOT let that dang football roll on through. "Yeah mom...still remember that, and wince!"

"Happy Mother's Day, for when it comes, Ma"

Your son, Joe.

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

As a lonnnng-retired Journalist, still mind-nimble enough to accurately read between the lines, it is indisputably safe to conclude our 'Boy-Joe' is juuuust a little excited about his long-looming new Ride.

Bless you Joe, for cranking out more straight-from-the-heart, gut-tugging enthusiasm than we've seen anywhere in years.

Wish - oh, how we wish - we could go with you!~

Rgds, WRIDR

Thank you, WRIDR. Perhaps I could fit you into the top tour trunk...might be a little cramped...my wife likes to take three pairs of shoes; "well...we MIGHT be going here, Hon...we MIGHT be going there...and I want to feel comfortable, when walking, or to match my outfit". So, if you don't mind perhaps a shoe wedged into your lower back, you are most welcome to be packed aboard! :) Oh...just move the binoculars down below the bag of red licorice. Or, you can use that as a pillow! :) We pack for the long haul! I hope you have good kidneys...because the SVTC's gas tank capacity...is BAD A**!

Joe Congrats on finally getting your new bike. From what I have seen from the pics she is a beauty. I do hope that you are able to make it to NC on her maiden voyage. Have you thought about route you will take?

Thank you...yes about the route, the one that we always take, car or bike,;

We head out towards, Michigan, and then take I-75 down to the Ohio Turnpike I-90, and then motor east, until we hit the I-77 cutoff. Then we set sail south-east on I-77 through Parkersburg, Charleston, (love the gold topped capitol building, and always watch for it!), down through Mt. Airy, and at Winston-Salem, deek onto I-74 down through Asheboro, ...then U.S. 38 to finally U.S. 501 to a seafood buffet at the end of the trail!

But..having stated that...I downloaded and read (in preparation for the eagle to land...lol) the SVTC Owner's Manual, and didn't quite anticipate the proper (which I will follow to the 'T'.) break-in limits and mileage. I thought it was a slam/dunk. Nope...two low rpm limits, and including up to 1,000 miles conclusion. There's no way that I will be able to properly break in the bike, get the 600 miles service done, and then add on another 400 miles before heading out this month. I need to pack the bike (to full operational limits) and possibly have my 'rear' on the back. So....May is out, and Myrtle Beach is a BEAR (for lodging/camping and KIDS...ouch...LOTS OF KIDS...) with waiting for over an hour at most restaurants, breakfast, lunch and dinner in the prime months of June/July/August! Been there, done that...with my three kids, and have 20 or more T shirts in the drawer...lol

So...I thought that we could take possibly a Fall (after the rug rats get back into school, and sanity once more drops over Myrtle Beach) run down that route.

I (it's usually 'we'...but she told me that I could plan the runs this riding season...YES!....) have some other (in Canada) destinations up my sleeve. I have broached with 'she, who speaks mightily in all matters...' and pitched a trip that would take us through Old Quebec City (we love that city, for history, French dining, etc...), then after a couple of days there...we'd head over the St.Lawrence to the other side...and take a trip around the Gaspe Peninsula. This is ONE GORGEOUS trip, whether you take it by car...or even better by motorcycle. Scenic as all get-out...with you following the coast of the St.Lawrence River, on its way to the Atlantic Ocean at Perce, and I highly recommend it. Yes..we did it once many, many years back..and would do it again as a refresher. For those living in and around Toronto...you can easily do this in a one week period, and not feel rushed. You'd have to skip out on spending 2 days in Quebec City, though....and I won't lie...there is some Iron-Butt riding that needs to be done, to get you past Montreal...and onto just west of Quebec City (for best rates) on the first day. From then on...you can relax...until the Gaspe loop brings you back to near Q.C. Then..yep...you Iron-Butt back home to the G.T.A.

So...I think that I/we (I'm Captain of the 'WE' brigade for this year...lol!) will stay in Canada and head Charlotte's front tire towards the East Coast. Either parts of Quebec, as I have mentioned, or we shoot back to parts of Nova Scotia that we passed by, on the south east coast of that great Province. So many choices...and before retirement, so few, the days and weeks...!

Never anticipated the stringent break in ritual....and as they always say...if there is ANY doubt....RTFM!

Thank you...yes about the route, the one that we always take, car or bike,;

We head out towards, Michigan, and then take I-75 down to the Ohio Turnpike I-90, and then motor east, until we hit the I-77 cutoff. Then we set sail south-east on I-77 through Parkersburg, Charleston, (love the gold topped capitol building, and always watch for it!), down through Mt. Airy, and at Winston-Salem, deek onto I-74 down through Asheboro, ...then U.S. 38 to finally U.S. 501 to a seafood buffet at the end of the trail!

But..having stated that...I downloaded and read (in preparation for the eagle to land...lol) the SVTC Owner's Manual, and didn't quite anticipate the proper (which I will follow to the 'T'.) break-in limits and mileage. I thought it was a slam/dunk. Nope...two low rpm limits, and including up to 1,000 miles conclusion. There's no way that I will be able to properly break in the bike, get the 600 miles service done, and then add on another 400 miles before heading out this month. I need to pack the bike (to full operational limits) and possibly have my 'rear' on the back. So....May is out, and Myrtle Beach is a BEAR (for lodging/camping and KIDS...ouch...LOTS OF KIDS...) with waiting for over an hour at most restaurants, breakfast, lunch and dinner in the prime months of June/July/August! Been there, done that...with my three kids, and have 20 or more T shirts in the drawer...lol

So...I thought that we could take possibly a Fall (after the rug rats get back into school, and sanity once more drops over Myrtle Beach) run down that route.

I (it's usually 'we'...but she told me that I could plan the runs this riding season...YES!....) have some other (in Canada) destinations up my sleeve. I have broached with 'she, who speaks mightily in all matters...' and pitched a trip that would take us through Old Quebec City (we love that city, for history, French dining, etc...), then after a couple of days there...we'd head over the St.Lawrence to the other side...and take a trip around the Gaspe Peninsula. This is ONE GORGEOUS trip, whether you take it by car...or even better by motorcycle. Scenic as all get-out...with you following the coast of the St.Lawrence River, on its way to the Atlantic Ocean at Perce, and I highly recommend it. Yes..we did it once many, many years back..and would do it again as a refresher. For those living in and around Toronto...you can easily do this in a one week period, and not feel rushed. You'd have to skip out on spending 2 days in Quebec City, though....

So...I think that I/we (I'm Captain of the 'WE' brigade for this year...lol!) will stay in Canada and head Charlotte's front tire towards the East Coast. Either parts of Quebec, as I have mentioned, or we shoot back to parts of Nova Scotia that we passed by, on the south east coast of that great Province. So many choices...and before retirement, so few, the days and weeks...!

Never anticipated the stringent break in ritual....and as they always say...if there is ANY doubt....RTFM!

I had already done my 600 miles break in service done within a week of picking up the bike. That first RPM limit is a pain because it’s just about 70 in 6th gear. The second RPM limit isn’t so bad and gives you some descent passing speed. As I broke her in I would occasionally rev her up past that limit to remove that ridge that can form at TDC in the cylinder from specific RPM limits. Doing this is even acknowledged by the dealership as a “smart move”.

You should be able to crank out 600 miles here quickly and still make a trip south. After your 600 mike service, the next one is at 4K miles, so you’d be fine.

I had already done my 600 miles break in service done within a week of picking up the bike. That first RPM limit is a pain because it’s just about 70 in 6th gear. The second RPM limit isn’t so bad and gives you some descent passing speed. As I broke her in I would occasionally rev her up past that limit to remove that ridge that can form at TDC in the cylinder from specific RPM limits. Doing this is even acknowledged by the dealership as a “smart move”.

You should be able to crank out 600 miles here quickly and still make a trip south. After your 600 mike service, the next one is at 4K miles, so you’d be fine.

That short rev past the limit is a good idea..and I do that also..to not form 'memory' I just didn't realize the two RPM band limits, and that 1,000 miles to break in completion. So...no packing her up, no Mama on the back for the first 1,000 but after that, we're good to go. It all depends on the time I have available to do just that, lol. I'm going to try and ride it as much as possible, that's for sure. Just to get her home will take some planning, lol. I'll have to run her down Highway 2, and avoid the 401 altogether. Running down Highway 2 will be just the ticket, but a slow ride home. From town to town...stop light to stop light. You know...just what a break-in period loves...

I now have this, in mind!----->https://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/road-trips-and-getaways/the-bas-saint-laurent-gaspesie-tour and https://www.quebecmaritime.ca/uploads/medias/nationalgeographictraveler-50placesogalifetime-2009.pdf

A tip from a past Gold Wing tour of the Gaspe...when you reach Perce Rock...and the town of Perce, AND, if you and your co-rider wish, you can take a Cod fishing boat out toward's Bonaventure Island...and then jig for Cod. If you catch any (and you will..some beautiful fish will be yours!) you can take your fresh catch back to your hotel/motel, and if they have a dining room, will serve you YOUR CATCH for lunch or dinner. Of course, if you are bike-camping...no problem...make sure you have your kitt! :) Butter, some granulated garlic, fresh cracked black pepper...FRESH French Bread...(wood fired ovens all over the place for road-side purchase!) some Frenched-green beens with sliced almonds...and you are all good to go...for that unique Gaspe Delicacy! Uh huh...can already taste that fresh Cod fillet...(just finished wiggling its last...).

If anybody's interested, I can offer you a really nice Quebec motorcycling itinerary. There are some magnificent destinations within Quebec, Canada to seduce your Tour $$$'s! For one thing...just south of Quebec City..(this is a teaser..) you can be pampered by parking your bike...getting aboard a vis-a vis (a face-to-face) horse drawn carriage, and be trotted about 1 mile down a lush green laneway to an over 500 year old French Habitant farm house...to be seated, and served, French Habitant Beef Stew, that is being slow cooked over the open hearth fire inside a humongous cast iron kettle. It is served with a delicious red wine, and also freshly baked French Bread, that is being fired in the three level oven, alongside the open hearth fire to cook your stew. This Habitant Farm was given to the same family that has owned it from the French Crown, since 1604! Quebec is rich in history of that nature.

Myrtle, is also a great Fall getaway! :) That could also be in the plan. I have the last week of September and the first week of October that could be open to that trip. Beautiful Fall colors...and great hotel/motel rate relief at that time as well. Less people on the roads...campers, cars stuffed with children...yep..probably a good time to head South on Charlotte.

BTW, how much higher in RPM, did you briefly go past the two cut-off limits?

This probably sounds wayyyyy out there in left center field and I am probably totally wrong about it when applied to the 113 but I discovered something years ago when dealing with, what was then "state of the art" cylinder design.. When the manufacturers jumped to the thin Nikasil plating over Aluminum and ditched the iron bores of yesteryear - the whole ridge development at TDC seemed to go right out the window.. I know,, not apples to apples but things got so advanced in my later years of MX'n that the big 4 were producing factory race bikes that were ready to go full out (no break in period) right out of the box - BRAND NEW! I had a KX500 that had THOUSANDS of miles on the bore and it still had the original cross hatch in it - that plating was that hard...

I have no idea whether Yamaha is using something other than Iron sleeves on this new one but,, from what I know of Yamaha's past,, I am pretty sure that it is something trick - maybe could get a clue by pricing out a set of replacement jugs = Iron sleeves will be the cheapest BUT also subject to things like ridge development.....

Something to think about,, maybe,, maybe not but maybe..

This probably sounds wayyyyy out there in left center field and I am probably totally wrong about it when applied to the 113 but I discovered something years ago when dealing with, what was then "state of the art" cylinder design.. When the manufacturers jumped to the thin Nikasil plating over Aluminum and ditched the iron bores of yesteryear - the whole ridge development at TDC seemed to go right out the window.. I know,, not apples to apples but things got so advanced in my later years of MX'n that the big 4 were producing factory race bikes that were ready to go full out (no break in period) right out of the box - BRAND NEW! I had a KX500 that had THOUSANDS of miles on the bore and it still had the original cross hatch in it - that plating was that hard...

I have no idea whether Yamaha is using something other than Iron sleeves on this new one but,, from what I know of Yamaha's past,, I am pretty sure that it is something trick - maybe could get a clue by pricing out a set of replacement jugs = Iron sleeves will be the cheapest BUT also subject to things like ridge development.....

Something to think about,, maybe,, maybe not but maybe..

Hi Puc...they actually are now sleeveless and use Ceramic wall coatings, if I remember from my read. Like the Chief...I have always done a 1/2 mile upper end massage, after 100 or so miles of censored RPM. Whether you need to now..I don't really know...but old break-in habits die hard...so...probably will still give the break in, the old every hundred mile 1/2 mile 'stretch'. :)

That short rev past the limit is a good idea..and I do that also..to not form 'memory' I just didn't realize the two RPM band limits, and that 1,000 miles to break in completion. So...no packing her up, no Mama on the back for the first 1,000 but after that, we're good to go. It all depends on the time I have available to do just that, lol. I'm going to try and ride it as much as possible, that's for sure. Just to get her home will take some planning, lol. I'll have to run her down Highway 2, and avoid the 401 altogether. Running down Highway 2 will be just the ticket, but a slow ride home. From town to town...stop light to stop light. You know...just what a break-in period loves...

I now have this, in mind!----->https://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/road-trips-and-getaways/the-bas-saint-laurent-gaspesie-tour and https://www.quebecmaritime.ca/uploads/medias/nationalgeographictraveler-50placesogalifetime-2009.pdf

A tip from a past Gold Wing tour of the Gaspe...when you reach Perce Rock...and the town of Perce, AND, if you and your co-rider wish, you can take a Cod fishing boat out toward's Bonaventure Island...and then jig for Cod. If you catch any (and you will..some beautiful fish will be yours!) you can take your fresh catch back to your hotel/motel, and if they have a dining room, will serve you YOUR CATCH for lunch or dinner. Of course, if you are bike-camping...no problem...make sure you have your kitt! :) Butter, some granulated garlic, fresh cracked black pepper...FRESH French Bread...(wood fired ovens all over the place for road-side purchase!) some Frenched-green beens with sliced almonds...and you are all good to go...for that unique Gaspe Delicacy! Uh huh...can already taste that fresh Cod fillet...(just finished wiggling its last...).

If anybody's interested, I can offer you a really nice Quebec motorcycling itinerary. There are some magnificent destinations within Quebec, Canada to seduce your Tour $$$'s! For one thing...just south of Quebec City..(this is a teaser..) you can be pampered by parking your bike...getting aboard a vis-a vis (a face-to-face) horse drawn carriage, and be trotted about 1 mile down a lush green laneway to an over 500 year old French Habitant farm house...to be seated, and served, French Habitant Beef Stew, that is being slow cooked over the open hearth fire inside a humongous cast iron kettle. It is served with a delicious red wine, and also freshly baked French Bread, that is being fired in the three level oven, alongside the open hearth fire to cook your stew. This Habitant Farm was given to the same family that has owned it from the French Crown, since 1604! Quebec is rich in history of that nature.

Myrtle, is also a great Fall getaway! :) That could also be in the plan. I have the last week of September and the first week of October that could be open to that trip. Beautiful Fall colors...and great hotel/motel rate relief at that time as well. Less people on the roads...campers, cars stuffed with children...yep..probably a good time to head South on Charlotte.

BTW, how much higher in RPM, did you briefly go past the two cut-off limits?

About a 1,000 RPM but only briefly such as a single gear shift.

I maybe off my rocker but within 12 days I had about 600 on my goped. I mean my 3rd gen Venture!![emoji23][emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180506/35c02b89efed1a4c35a067d1bb878587.jpg

You go, guy! Well..I DO have in technically now...50 miles.....lol. I know...they don't count...lol

Now..tsk..tsk...we BOTH KNOW, that ain't no SVTC...unless **Dementia** SAYS that it is...if so...who am I to argue?

Enjoy your er...ah...SVTC, Snyper! BTW, love the color..it looks great! :)

Cheers!

You go, guy! Well..I DO have in technically now...50 miles.....lol. I know...they don't count...lol

Now..tsk..tsk...we BOTH KNOW, that ain't no SVTC...unless **Dementia** SAYS that it is...if so...who am I to argue?

Enjoy your er...ah...SVTC, Snyper! BTW, love the color..it looks great! :)

Cheers!

Ok it the 2nhalf gen venture I'm sure you will find the thread where we were a little taken back or was it we were trying to predict what power plant was on the new venture. I built this in April of last year I believe and posted as the new 3rd gen[emoji23][emoji23]

Ok it the 2nhalf gen venture I'm sure you will find the thread where we were a little taken back or was it we were trying to predict what power plant was on the new venture. I built this in April of last year I believe and posted as the new 3rd gen[emoji23][emoji23]

"We're all posting in good jest...and actually...with the price of gas...and all. THAT is a great asset. I'm being serious on this. Get's you to the market...I don't imagine you have to get a license, unless it is considered a moped, and what,..... About 80 MPG?"

I'd love one of those...and would be riding it all over the place...and every time a car or motorcycle passed me by...I'd smirk...and think; "yeah? What kind of gas mileage are YOU getting, Sucker?!"

Cheers n' Beers,

Joe

"We're all posting in good jest...and actually...with the price of gas...and all. THAT is a great asset. I'm being serious on this. Get's you to the market...I don't imagine you have to get a license, unless it is considered a moped, and what,..... About 80 MPG?"

I'd love one of those...and would be riding it all over the place...and every time a car or motorcycle passed me by...I'd smirk...and think; "yeah? What kind of gas mileage are YOU getting, Sucker?!"

Cheers n' Beers,

Joe

Um 100+ mpg lol and depends how much I pedal and my stupid knee is given me fits.. My tank holds half a gallon and get 55-63mpg if I use just the motor... I've been having a blast since I put it together. The motor is probably 4,000 miles now I have went thru 3 sets of tires. I just put on a new set from a bike shop and the wall seems better then what I was getting. Maybe couple bux more but I will only find out after 100's of miles.

Um 100+ mpg lol and depends how much I pedal and my stupid knee is given me fits.. My tank holds half a gallon and get 55-63mpg if I use just the motor... I've been having a blast since I put it together. The motor is probably 4,000 miles now I have went thru 3 sets of tires. I just put on a new set from a bike shop and the wall seems better then what I was getting. Maybe couple bux more but I will only find out after 100's of miles.

P.s. everyone says its cool and want to know where to get one lol. The scooters ppl do make fun of but I still miss my 150cc taotao powermax..

Could you use that motor assisted bike, on let's say Mackinac Island? Do they allow them? Just curious....

Could you use that motor assisted bike, on let's say Mackinac Island? Do they allow them? Just curious....

Nope,,, no motors,,, not even bite sized.... I think they know that if they did allow even one of those .049 little model airplane engines to be used that some lop eared genuis gear headed VR guru varmint like some of my buddies here in the club would figure out a way to soup it up and make it go 70 mph so,,,,,,,, nope,,,, nada,,,,,, nicksay,,, aint happening.....

Just an FYI though,,, I have been eyeing the bicycle trails that criss cross America very carefully and have secretly been developing a silent motored side x side three wheeled bike for Tip and I for those days when we are no longer able to toss a leg.. Its coming right along too,,, about all thats left is figuring out where to stick all our memory stickers...

Nope,,, no motors,,, not even bite sized.... I think they know that if they did allow even one of those .049 little model airplane engines to be used that some lop eared genuis gear headed VR guru varmint like some of my buddies here in the club would figure out a way to soup it up and make it go 70 mph so,,,,,,,, nope,,,, nada,,,,,, nicksay,,, aint happening.....

Just an FYI though,,, I have been eyeing the bicycle trails that criss cross America very carefully and have secretly been developing a silent motored side x side three wheeled bike for Tip and I for those days when we are no longer able to toss a leg.. Its coming right along too,,, about all thats left is figuring out where to stick all our memory stickers...

Puc, believe it or not I have a whole box of those little .049 motors. I have one that I souped up enough to log 119 MPH on a radar gun. Got it to hold together at 36,000 RPM (not a typo).

As for Snypers vision of the 3rd gen, I have been eyeing that up for my daily 45 miles of commuting especially since I can no longer ride the venture. Or maybe an electric version. Or just go for it and strap on the pulse jet....................

Now, Back from the thread Hi Jack, I sure hope that your new red (bestest fastest color ever) SVTC is everything you hoped for and more.

For me the jury is just starting to get seated. But then I am a cynical old Fool that can not take much of anything on faith.

Edited by Flyinfool

Man, that's too bad..and sorry to read this... We enjoy Mr. Mac...and stay on the island for a long weekend. We rent bikes...too much hassle to take our own...or roller-blade...and I just thought what a hoot that bike would be...for going up into the interior of the island, you know...that road that takes you past the gorgeous homes...on the way to the airport. That would have been fun....WAIT...what about a totally electric ride? No sound...who would know? Hmmmm.......scratching head...Hmmm......

LOL!

Not sure that's Michigan so @cowpuc what do you think they would say? Is there even a helmet law in Michigan? I know here I need no license because the motor is secondary..