IGNORED

LED Head Lamp on Ebay?

luvmy40

Has anybody tried these LEDs?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323174362227

They seem too good to be true, so...

I've never felt the need for a brighter headlight but my head light bulb shattered and the fuse blew at 11:00 pm and left me stranded. I had fuses but no spare headlamp. It got thinking that LED would be better just for the longevity and being able to keep a spare onboard without worrying about it getting broken.

Tinker has nothing but LED now, You will have to bypass your RLU or figure a way to get the warning to go away. I just bypassed the red lamp and white lamp, Not turning back either.... nice features for the time but now I feel they are obsolete.

Has anybody tried these LEDs?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323174362227

They seem too good to be true, so...

I've never felt the need for a brighter headlight but my head light bulb shattered and the fuse blew at 11:00 pm and left me stranded. I had fuses but no spare headlamp. It got thinking that LED would be better just for the longevity and being able to keep a spare onboard without worrying about it getting broken.

I only see one issue with this bulb, It has a cooling fan... now I have never had problem with my bulb that also has a fan but have seen people talking about in forumns and been told about the fans quitting.

I would not trust anything that company says.

They are claiming 1,100W? that means there will be a 92 AMP power draw. You will need headlight wiring that is the size of the starter cables. Your charging system is fused at 40 amps. I do not think it is a typo because everything from this company has ridiculously high ratings.

These are also rated at 165,000Lm, That light output would be starting fires in front of you as you are going down the road.

That ad is SO full of BS, can you trust them to honor a warranty if they are willing to LIE to get your cash in the first place.

One thing that I find humorous with most of the LED headlights, if they advertise which chip they are using, I look it up and check the data sheets, they are all nearly always advertising more, and usually way more light output than the manufacturer of the LED chip claims is possible. This particular ad does not say which chip they are using so I can not look it up. But I will bet that they are not anywhere near 1,100W and 165,000Lm of light.

Also, what turns me off is there is no provision for blocking off the low beam....so the LED is relying on the lens to do that and that probably won't work. If you look at quality LED bulbs for auto use, the low bean LEDs have a piece of metal blocking off the light so it throws a flat pattern out to the horizon. The Broviews a number of us bought has that as well as the recent post that showed a picture of the bulb cutoff.

I've included a picture of the cut off plate.

DO NOT BUY these as they are not for us....

LED cut off.jpg

Hope this helps

They are claiming 1,100W? that means there will be a 92 AMP power draw
I am pretty sure they are claiming the light out put is the same as an 1,100W bulb not the actual wattage or currant draw. My LED fog lights run on a 2 amp fuse 20 gauge wire and put out more light than a halogen bulb.

I ordered a different set, still on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-COB-H4-HB2-9003-1080W-162000LM-LED-Headlight-Kit-Hi-Lo-Power-Bulbs-6000K/272321333014?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The numbers/ratings seem to be cut and pasted between all the lower priced LED conversion lamps, so I went with the one that says it uses 2 of three chips for low beam and all three for high beam with the top chip cutting out for the lows. It makes sense to me but I'm not a lighting experts so I could be wrong.

Even if they're junk, I'm only out 20 bucks and I'll have learned another cheap lesson.

Next question is do I use electrical tape or split the dash to take care of the warning lights?:rolleyes:

So, I have a couple cheap and, hopefully durable spare head light bulbs to keep in the fairing storage for emergencies.

Lesson learned. Cheap LED head lights work, kind of.

The dim is fairly bright and a nice crisp white light. The bright is darn near indistinguishable from the dim. I think they have a little more side spill than the incandescent bulbs but they are certainly not brighter and have much less throw.

Like I said, I'll stash these in the fairing and go back to a Silver Star Ultra incandescent.

I commend you for still being able to learn, AND admit to it. I still hope to learn something new every single day. Now for some of the science to help you understand what you have learned.

1. The LED light element is probably actually brighter than the Silver star element.

2. LEDs have a directional light output, where incandescent is a full 360° spherical light output.

3. your lens and reflector were designed to use a full 360° of light to fill the pattern.

4. You noticed that there was more side fill with the LED, There is also more vertical spill with the LED, This due to the lens and reflector not getting the light from the expected directions.

5. All the spill makes thing up close very bright, fooling less observant people into thinking the LED is far brighter. when they fail to notice that there is less available light down the road.

6. Some LEDs focus so badly that they actually have close foreground objects bright enough to cause your night vision to go away making it even harder to see down the road.

7. Due to the light spill at the top of the beam, it appears to the uninformed that they are seeing farther when in actuality they are effective have the light pattern of the hi beam when set at lo beam, that is why there is little if any difference between Lo and Hi beam. this is also why the blind oncoming traffic, that last thing I want while on a bike is to be blinding someone that is closing on me at well over 100MPH and hoping they will pass safely just a few feet to my left.

All of this info usually falls on deaf ears if I bring it up before someone takes the plunge. There is just to much hype from those that do not understand, Those of us that do understand are in a small minority so we must be wrong.

I have watched reviews done with real light meters that scientifically proved all of this to be true They tested numerous brands and models of LED lights, HID lights and incandescent lights all in the same car and all on the same road and also in the lab to see the beam pattern on a big white wall, they also measured the light output and many places on the wall. The most interesting part was in the comments after, A scary number of people said that this confirmed that they will buy the worst performing bulb because it was the brightest. at 5 feet. but was so out of focus that there was no difference at all between hi and lo beam and it was totally blinding all oncoming traffic.

Oh by the way, the real winner of the testing was a HID in a dedicated projector housing.

#2 was a HID in a stock lens/reflector.

#2 was a LED in a dedicated projector housing

#4 was a stock Halogen bulb and housing

#5 on down was all of the LEDs in a stock housing.

#2 and #2 were a mathematical tie. The differences were within the margin of error of the test equipment.

I wish I could find that again, It was about a 45 minute video that someone put a lot of time and money into.

OK my:rant: is over for now. Back to your regularly scheduled programming......