IGNORED

Looking to replace slave cylider

Skid

I am needing to replace the slave cylinder very soon before riding season. Anyone have advice where to purchase one at? Is Yamaha the best way to go or is there better options to find a better price?

Yamaha is the only place you will find a new one from unless someone has one on Ebay or somewhere that they purchased new and didnt use and is looking to sell it. You can find the rebuild pieces at Yamaha and I believe some of the aftermarket suppliers have them also.

No matter what you will need a new gasket for the cover as you have to remove it to access the slave cylinder.

Rick F.

Yamaha is the only place you will find a new one from unless someone has one on Ebay or somewhere that they purchased new and didnt use and is looking to sell it. You can find the rebuild pieces at Yamaha and I believe some of the aftermarket suppliers have them also.

No matter what you will need a new gasket for the cover as you have to remove it to access the slave cylinder.

Rick F.

This is the gasket and a crush washer08b568002534b837a1599d8ea9c0b7aa.jpg

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

Is that what Yamaha calls the...

Push Lever Comp

Not sure on that one. Bike Bandit has them I think..... I don't think that is it. I'll look this evening.

That is it but that price a little up there. There was a thread on here that they were about 60 bucks?? I did one a few yrs ago in your garage but don't remember where I got it. I just remember fighting it out of there. Does that side cover with the crush washer come off??? Brain not in gear. It is recommended to replace if removed.

Edited by Yammer Dan

Gentlemen,

You will need to take the side cover #2 off. And yes, Yamaha calls it the push comp thingie...

You will need that gasket. Plus, get the little washer that goes in the bottom bolt.

I would also get the neutral switch gasket, an orange thing, as it tends to leak with age. Be very careful taking it off as the screws should not be tight. Just snug. Same with the hex screws on the cover...snug. I think around 8 ft lbs. 100 inch pounds? It's in the same area as the slave...just below it.

The slave comes out with two bolts after taking off the clutch fluid line. My slave came out after I moved the stator wires from their location below the area to above and tied them there. Be gentle as to much horsing around can cause the wires to leak where they come out of case #1 . My slave dropped down into the area where the wires were, I tilted the top forward a bit and out it popped. Just gotta hold your tongue just right?!!

I put a new slave in, new switch gasket, and cleaned everything very well.

Put new gaskets in...don't go with old. Save old for an emergency. They aren't expensive. Why risk a leak. Oh...torque everything properly...

Hope this helps.

Pictures available on this site....even a full blown tutorial with pics...

I have some too if you want/need.

• 4 weeks later...

Take you time with getting it out as it can be a PIA to remove. Look it over and twist it around some and you will find it will just about fall out. You will need to remove the stator wires out of the way as if I recall it drops out of the bottom of the case.

Good luck

Rick F.

Today was a success I think. Took about 20 minutes get the old one out. And maybe 4-5 to get the new one back in place. Thanks to Yammer for his assistance today too. And don’t no one ask how I know but you must place both crush washers back on the clutch line or it will leak. Especially on the back side. Took longer to bleed the lines and get the pressure back up than anything else.

Edited by Skid

Yeh Yammer Dan usually prys them out and back in with tent poles ......Probably why he never has any to pitch a tent .....Always leaves em behind on the garage floor :witch_brew::canada:

I had it out and back in by the time he got here but was a big help finding a leak and bleeding the system.