IGNORED

New 1st Gen project

7 lakes

Hello everyone,

I finally got around to shaking some photos out of my phone and wanted to show off my new project, I've been lurking a while and thought it was time I said something. Ya'll seem like a decent bunch so if you don't mind I'll elbow up and open my mouth.

Almost a year ago I found this beauty on craigslist for a price that looked too good to be true. Turns out it only had 4th and 5th gear, wouldn't shift below that. Having experience with the XS1100's it sounded to me like the shift pin issue which is about a $40 fix. We had just started a major remodel on the house and I had no time for a new bike but I had to have this one, I've been bringing bikes back to life since I was a kid and of all the bikes I've had the one I wished I hadn't let go was an '83 Venture. Best all around bike I've ever ridden, I think of it as a full-dress sport bike. I'd go on but I think I'd be preaching to the choir.

The bike had been well cared for by its original owner who garaged it and had all the regular maintenance done by the dealer, including updated items like the water pump impeller. There isn't any rust anywhere except the expected speckles on the exhaust system, the bike is really quite clean considering that the second owner was commuting about 70 miles round trip a day on it for the year he owned it. All I had time to do when I brought it home was shove it into the shop, but over the last few months have squeezed out a few hours here and there and have made some progress. So far I've fixed the shift issue, removed the oil pan to retrieve the shift pin, removed all the engine covers to fix weeping (mostly to polish them, really), pulled valve covers to check valve lash, (all good) flushed the cooling system (which didn't need it), dropped the exhaust for gaskets and welding of the collector mounting bracket, and pulled all the bodywork to fix an incredible number of broken tabs and cracks. There were some very slight scuff marks on the left side of the fairing, slight enough that they came out with a little rubbing compound, but every darn tab on that side was either broken off outright or cracked like a desert, and there were stress cracks at nearly every corner of the fairing. And the headlight trim was broken at the screw holes. My thinking here is that the elderly (and I do mean elderly, I'm no spring chicken) original owner arrived at the end of his riding career with a slow speed tip-over against the minivan or the riding mower in the garage, breaks out a tube of epoxy and sells the bike to the family friend who needs cheap transpo, who in turn sells it as soon as it costs him anything but gas. At this point all the above is fixed but there is more to do before she hits the road.

Here is how the bike looks now

right-side.jpg

Upholstery is good except for the usual stress separation on the front seam -

seat.jpg

58,00 miles on the odometer

dash.jpg

While I had the covers off I stripped the clear coat, polished and detail painted the ends and painted the centers with high temp silver -

valve-cover.jpg

Looks kinda nice peekin out there -

engine-right-side.jpg

The water pump cover "before", the "after" is above -

water-pump.jpg

Missing shift pin -

shift-pin-1.jpg

70 miles a day. On this tire.

rear-tire.jpg

front-2.jpg

The bike starts and runs like a sewing machine, but before it hits the road I'll replace the tires of course, and go completely through the brake system. I like the linked brakes and will retain them, but the calipers, masters, and valves will all come apart and be renewed. And stainless lines, I'm a big fan of stainless lines. Same thing for the clutch. I have an overhead lift setup so while the bike is hanging for tires I'll drop the swing arm and service all that mess. I fixed the weeping forks with the "tool cut from a milk jug" trick, other than some slight weeping they checked out just fine. The forks will be stripped and polished, and I'll probably repaint the bodywork if I have time before summer.

Thanks to everyone for all the great info collected here, it's been a great resource and enjoyable reading!

I'll post some more when there's more to post, for now its back to the house. Waaaaa. Thanks for reading!

Tim

Edited by 7 lakes
Spewling currecton
  • Like 1

'''I've been bringing bikes back to life since I was a kid'''

:scared:WOWZY WOW WOW WOW , and obviously you learned a LOT about the art of the restore thru the years = SHE IS A BEAUTY 7,,, :thumbsup::thumbsup: on a job well done!!!!

""and of all the bikes I've had the one I wished I hadn't let go was an '83 Venture. Best all around bike I've ever ridden, I think of it as a full-dress sport bike. I'd go on but I think I'd be preaching to the choir.""

And this choir member shouts back = got that right!! A full dress sport bike she is = definitely the best of the best too!!

You got the headlight glass for her 7??

I am sure you already know about the 2nd gear issues with the 83's so I wont go into detail there but thought I would FYI ya anyway. Another thing to consider would be slipping in a set of Progressives in the forks to replace her OEM Ink Pen Springs.. Maybe pull the inspection cover on the stator and see if she's got at least the 1st phase stator cooler splatter plate in there.. While ya got that left plastic side cover back off, clip off that stator wire terminal zip tied half way up the frame and hard wire it so the center of it dont melt down and ground the stator wires and fry the stator..

:scared:,,, see what happens when ya get the choir singin:missingtooth:. Sorry bout that,,, cant help myself,, every time I see another one of these flat out gorgeous mile munchin 1st Gens getting treated so special I just wanna :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup2:

Thanks for reading??? THANK YOU FOR POSTING!!!:clap2:

Puc

Thanks guys. Puc, thanks for the tip on the stator lead, the stator is in good shape and has the cooling kit, I'll check that lead. I have three XS1100s and am familiar with the second gear issue, this one seems fine so far. Yes, the glass is perfect, it was out for repair of the headlight trim and is in a cabinet wrapped in a towel. Nice job spotting that! And progressives are on the list.

And Dan the frame appears to be reinforced, there are gussets that I didn't see in the photos I've seen of the early cracked frames. I had the bike in the air and everything looks solid underneath.

I found it at just the right time, she was at that tipping point where so many bikes end up rusting under a blue tarp, or parted out, or could have a whole new life if given some attention. Luckily the gentleman who owned her had fallen in love with what was supposed to be just a cheap way to get to work and wanted the bike to go to someone who would bring it back, which is kinda my deal. After 40 years of vintage bicycles, motorcycles, boats and outboards I understand that TLC = Tender Loving Complete restoration, and I'm ok with that. :)

Edited by 7 lakes
Old age
  • Like 1

Nice looking ride! Lots of spit and polish and these things are killers on the road.

You’ve done an incredible job so far and looking forward to seeing the end result. Kudos for keeping the classics alive!!!

Amazing how many riders I’ve met on my 83 that ask, what kind of bike is that???

I’ve removed most of the badging (added a couple fun ones too) and removed some of the damaged side plastics to give mine a different appearance.

Pulp Fiction

777C2A6D-38B7-4F83-B682-E76E2EC14B6A.jpg

The frame issues at the rear shock mount were for the '83 only, and seeing as you have an '84 it was reinforced by the factory!

Great job!! Looks better than new!

Yes, I agree with Blue Sky about swapping the lowers so you can use 100mm mounting distance calipers like the R1/R6, along with SS lines it makes a world of difference! And, along with you, I like the linked brakes but there are pros and con's to them...

Welcome aboard!! Yes, I'm sure you will fit right in with this Motley Crew!

I like that color. Any idea what color that is? Great job, bike looks great.

It's the factory Bright Cherry Red, it looks nice in the photos but it is really quite sun faded in person, big depth-of-color difference between the horizontal and vertical surfaces.

And I can't take any credit for anything cosmetic other than polishing the engine and valve covers and wiping the bike down with Final Finish. I literally haven't even washed the thing yet! Most of what I've done doesn't show, I painted the collector with silver header paint, baked it, looks awesome if ya wanna lay down and look at it. And the approx 30 hours I have into restoring the fairing isn't visible either. Otherwise I just lucked out. :)

The frame issues at the rear shock mount were for the '83 only, and seeing as you have an '84 it was reinforced by the factory!

Great job!! Looks better than new!

Yes, I agree with Blue Sky about swapping the lowers so you can use 100mm mounting distance calipers like the R1/R6, along with SS lines it makes a world of difference! And, along with you, I like the linked brakes but there are pros and con's to them...

Welcome aboard!! Yes, I'm sure you will fit right in with this Motley Crew!

Thank you, I appreciate the warm welcome.

I plan on more work next winter, for now since the forks and anti-dive work just as they should and appear to be in great shape, I'm going to rebuild the brake and clutch hydraulics, install the stainless line kit get new rubber on there and get on the road this summer! I live in the sticks and the majority of my riding is country roads (I live in one of those places that other guys ride two hours to get to heehee) and I do not ride like I used to, which is why I'm still here. I like the linked brakes and feel that the biggest issue with this system is the use of rubber hoses. That's just a lot of hose. I was taught to use the rear brake for better control, use it for gentle braking such as to slow for curves and to control your speed down hills etc, but use both when stopping or slowing quickly. The linked brakes work well with my riding style but I can see how others wouldn't like it. Not really a "performance" setup.

I appreciate the input on the forks and brakes, I was originally thinking Progressives and removing the anti-dives but now you guys have me thinking about replacing the lowers and calipers. Hmm. Something to look forward to next winter.

Nice looking ride! Lots of spit and polish and these things are killers on the road.

You’ve done an incredible job so far and looking forward to seeing the end result. Kudos for keeping the classics alive!!!

Amazing how many riders I’ve met on my 83 that ask, what kind of bike is that???

I’ve removed most of the badging (added a couple fun ones too) and removed some of the damaged side plastics to give mine a different appearance.

Pulp Fiction

Thanks! I was looking at your bike last night, love the cheese! :cool:

And your sig almost made me spit coffee on my keyboard, so thanks for that.:beer:

Missed it was 84. Frame should be good to go. I have a 83 with a new frame that was replaced by Yamaha.

A new frame? Hurts my head just thinking about what that would involve! I'm guessing that my raked-out 83 venture wouldn't fit into their fixit program.

zag

As an old school regular let me chime in by saying great job. It is obvious that you have earned your wheaties and know what you're doing. That musters admiration and respect around here. Its apparent you will fit right in and will be at home with this bunch of lop eared front tire chasers. Especially PUC.

I was gonna think on it till spring but your story and project has wet my whistle and about convinced me other wise. OK........... I'm making it official.......... I'll be in the market for a deal on a MK II FIRST GEN. Since the Midnight loaner is finally gone.

7 looking forward to meeting you down the road. maybe Asheville????

As an old school regular let me chime in by saying great job. It is obvious that you have earned your wheaties and know what you're doing. That musters admiration and respect around here. Its apparent you will fit right in and will be at home with this bunch of lop eared front tire chasers. Especially PUC.

I was gonna think on it till spring but your story and project has wet my whistle and about convinced me other wise. OK........... I'm making it official.......... I'll be in the market for a deal on a MK II FIRST GEN. Since the Midnight loaner is finally gone.

7 looking forward to meeting you down the road. maybe Asheville????

Thanks for the warm welcome, I appreciate it. I've stayed away from forums for a while, have been on a few for bikes and other vehicles but don't care for where they always seem to go. I lurked for a while and you guys seem like folks I could get along with. Never enjoyed the company of folks who like to snipe at each other, life's too short.

Asheville sure sounds like fun, but man that's a haul for me! I'm up in the Pacific Northwest, darn near to Canada. I'd be up for the trip, but not until I semi-retire in a few years. Then I'm planning a good long cross country trip, but no firm plans where. Heading south sounds good. :)

Tim

Never enjoyed the company of folks who like to snipe at each other, life's too short.

Tim

Well, there has always been friendly rivalry here between the 1st Gen owners and the 2nd Gen owners, but always in good fun!!! We also may brand bash a little, but that is all in good fun too!! Eventually, you will discover what most of us have discovered, this is more than a website, it is FAMILY!! Welcome to the clan and we hope you get a chance to meet some of us in person!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I appreciate it. I've stayed away from forums for a while, have been on a few for bikes and other vehicles but don't care for where they always seem to go. I lurked for a while and you guys seem like folks I could get along with. Never enjoyed the company of folks who like to snipe at each other, life's too short.

Asheville sure sounds like fun, but man that's a haul for me! I'm up in the Pacific Northwest, darn near to Canada. I'd be up for the trip, but not until I semi-retire in a few years. Then I'm planning a good long cross country trip, but no firm plans where. Heading south sounds good. :)

Tim

Me too, you'll find that this a great group of folks. Mainly because the boss don't put up with much snipping. Now frog gigging pond monsters is completely acceptable and is expected.

Since you're on up that way you may want to reach out to GeorgeS. I got a feeling y'all would get along.

If you ever make it to my neck of the woods look me up. I'm on the list.

Me too, you'll find that this a great group of folks. Mainly because the boss don't put up with much snipping. Now frog gigging pond monsters is completely acceptable and is expected.

Since you're on up that way you may want to reach out to GeorgeS. I got a feeling y'all would get along.

If you ever make it to my neck of the woods look me up. I'm on the list.

Yeppers that GeorgeS is a TON of fun = good peoples to say the least 7!! There are also numerous other fine lop eared VR folk varmints out and up your way. No idea if there is anything in the makings along this line but something you might wanna keep a weathered eye out for would be the VR Rally known as "Venture West".. WOWZY = GREAT bunch of folks out your way on the coast = superb time to say the least!!

Dont get me wrong though,, those lop eared down yonder are AMAZING too - definitely the best of the best so you really cant go wrong no matter which way ya go.... Come to think of it,,, you couldn't go wrong CTFW up into Canuckian land either or hitting the East coast for that matter,,,,,,,, WOWZY there's a BUNCH of fine VR family out there!!

7,, if you do take my brother THEEEE DragonSlayer up on his offer,,, you would do well to remember to ask him about the origin of his name... Definitely an amazing story to behold - IMHO!!

Yeppers that GeorgeS is a TON of fun = good peoples to say the least 7!! There are also numerous other fine lop eared VR folk varmints out and up your way. No idea if there is anything in the makings along this line but something you might wanna keep a weathered eye out for would be the VR Rally known as "Venture West".. WOWZY = GREAT bunch of folks out your way on the coast = superb time to say the least!!

Dont get me wrong though,, those lop eared down yonder are AMAZING too - definitely the best of the best so you really cant go wrong no matter which way ya go.... Come to think of it,,, you couldn't go wrong CTFW up into Canuckian land either or hitting the East coast for that matter,,,,,,,, WOWZY there's a BUNCH of fine VR family out there!!

7,, if you do take my brother THEEEE DragonSlayer up on his offer,,, you would do well to remember to ask him about the origin of his name... Definitely an amazing story to behold - IMHO!!

All sounds good to me! Love to meet some good folks to ride with, and a West Coast rally sounds great!

Tim