IGNORED

RSV vs RSTD

SpencerPJ

So I've been kicking around the idea of maybe adding a second Gen to my Garage. I love my 83, but it's an 83, and Before I start throwing $$$ to make it inter-state safe (all rubber, hoses, etc etc updated), I've been thinking of just adding a newer bike. I absolutely love my feet under 83, and adjusting to feet forward would definitely be a challenge.

With that said, a couple questions on RSV vs RSTD.

Do you guys feel much of a difference in wind between the fairing and the RSTD windshield?? I tend to like the RSTD look, but also like a fairing, and I really like my 83 fixed fairing.

Also I recently read that the whine, went away in 09 ??

Opinions?

Anyone that has ridden all three, I'd love to hear your pros / cons. I'm a big guy, 6'2", 275, so I like the height of my 83.

Thanks

So I've been kicking around the idea of maybe adding a second Gen to my Garage. I love my 83, but it's an 83, and Before I start throwing $$$ to make it inter-state safe (all rubber, hoses, etc etc updated), I've been thinking of just adding a newer bike. I absolutely love my feet under 83, and adjusting to feet forward would definitely be a challenge.

With that said, a couple questions on RSV vs RSTD.

Do you guys feel much of a difference in wind between the fairing and the RSTD windshield?? I tend to like the RSTD look, but also like a fairing, and I really like my 83 fixed fairing.

Also I recently read that the whine, went away in 09 ??

Opinions?

Anyone that has ridden all three, I'd love to hear your pros / cons. I'm a big guy, 6'2", 275, so I like the height of my 83.

Thanks

Any thought of selling the 83?

in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

I have never had either one so my opinion really doesnt matter much but,, I do REALLY like the looks of both of em.. Personally I think the RSTD is one of the purdiest cruiser bikes ever made with endless possibilities to customize to my likings = sort of think along the line of what @StarFan Jonas has done with his and you will get my drift.. I also have always LOVED the looks of the Milliniem RSV and if I ever did own one of those I would name it "The Falcon" for obvious reasons and I would ride it till the wheels fell off!!

The only thing that I can think of that I would make a perspective buyer aware of would be just to remind them that the early RSTD's were not a balanced motor and were detuned significantly.. Just a simple read into the clubs "History" section which years this was going on in case a buyer was interested in performance...

Here is something interesting.. I have also always loved Mom Yam's attempts at making specialty bikes and have owned a few of them = like the Heritage 650 Special = GORGEOUS!! This RSTD is right in that same category IMHO!!

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1997-yamaha-royal-star-1-of/6486515727.html

At about the same height as you I find the feet forward ride on my RSV is a lot more comfortable than my 86. I have a blast on the 1st gen for short rides around a couple of hours, then I have to park a while. I took the RSV 830 miles to Daytona only stopping long enough for fuel. My old knees and back enjoy the comfort.

I had a 2007 RSTD and put about 50,000 miles on it. I traded it in on my current 2012 Venture and it now has 20,000+ miles. I really don't think there is any difference in handling between the two. In my opinion, the stock windshields for both offered the same amount of protection.

They are are same bike beyond the stuff on the top side and I raised the rear of both with leveling links to improve the handling. In fact I had made my own leveling links for the '07 and then removed them to add to the '12 before I traded it in.

Storage is the big plus with the addition of the trunk for the Venture. You get the radio/cb with the Venture if that makes any difference to you.

After seeing all of the RSTD quick release windshields and sissy bar/luggage racks for sale on Ebay, with the RSTD I was always a little concerned about leaving the bike in motel parking lots overnight. Both items can be removed in seconds with the quick releases. I never had a problem - only a little concern they could turn up missing.

My '07 had the clutch whine and I really didn't mind it. I had the basket replaced under warranty but I don't recall that it helped much. My '12 does not have the whine.

I have had all three, an 83 an 86 an 87 a 2008 RSTD and a 2008 RSV. I found the RSTD/RSV to be more comfortable,but I was also older when I owned them. I liked all the entertainment system on the RSV. But my favorite bike of all the V4 yamahas I owned was the RSTD. It was comfortable and fast and the handling was closer to the 87VR. It wasn't as top heavy as the RSV. I did try the 130 size tire on both the RSTD and the RSV. It really helped the RSV but then the front end of the Rsv weighs more then the RSTD. I thought it made the RSTD a little light in the front. I loved my RSTD and I thought it was the best bike I ever owned.

2008 RSTD  in 2008 at Gas Station in Goshen..jpg

Had both, 09 RSTD and now ride a 12 RSV. I enjoyed the RSTD more than the Venture, not that there is anything wrong with the Venture. The Venture is more comfortable for my wife. So, now you know why I have the Venture. I put 47k on the RSTD and now have 37K on the Venture, so the sample size is pretty adequate. It may have been my mindset, but I always felt the RSTD was just sportier and the look was more flexible. Both are great bikes.

Had both, 09 RSTD and now ride a 12 RSV. I enjoyed the RSTD more than the Venture, not that there is anything wrong with the Venture. The Venture is more comfortable for my wife. So, now you know why I have the Venture. I put 47k on the RSTD and now have 37K on the Venture, so the sample size is pretty adequate. It may have been my mindset, but I always felt the RSTD was just sportier and the look was more flexible. Both are great bikes.

Did you have the infamous whine with either?

My wife is not a fan of riding, she's a Safety Engineer by profession, go figure. The couple times she's been on the back, I had to have a stern conversation about rubber-necking, and all sorts of leaning antics back there. :shock3:

Understand about the wife, luckily mine loves going on the bike. We were on an 800 mile weekend trip and she started complaining about her back. So, I took the liberty to get a "more comfortable" new bike. It has been, but still look at RSTD's on Ebay and think what if. As for the whine, they both had it. I am on synthetic oil and it does not seem as bad. Hope this helps.

I addition to my earlier comments and now that you guys have brought up the passenger aspect... My wife most definitely prefers the Venture. In addition to the plusher seat and better backrest, she sits a little higher so her visibility is slightly improved.

Paul Spenser,

I've not had a 1st Gen but I have had a 2006 RSTD and put 110K miles on it before I replaced it with another 2006 RSTD with only 6K miles last August.

While I had my first RSTD, I also had a 2001 Road Star and a 2006 Stratoliner. I loved the RSTD way more than either of those.

And,,, While I had the RSTD I also got a 2009 RSV in 2010. I kept it till late 2016 and put 78K miles on it, side by side with the RSTD.

I replaced the RSV with a Goldwing trike because me and then wife thought it was trike time.

Simply put, if you want a highway bike, get the RSV, if you want it for back roads and shorter trips, get the RSTD.

I got the RSV to be my two up and long distance traveler. It did well. It is more comfortable for one or two for distance.

The RSV is better at over 70 MPH for comfort, both for the wind and control. It is unphased at 100.

The RSTD is more fun up to 70, but at interstate speeds, like 80, it gets pushed around more and thus tends to wander in the lane.

The RSV feels smoother than the RSTD, perhaps weight, but mostly aerodynamics.

The RSTD tends to be more sporty on back roads and in the mountains.

If you want two, up I suggest RSV.

If you want to do distance and interstate, I suggest the RSV.

If you want more solo and two lane roads,, I suggest the RSTD.

The RSTD is fun, the RSV is comfort.

PS: as noted, I liked my 110K mile 2006 RSV so much that when I came across a "time capsule" 6K mile 2006 RSTD for cheap, I got it,, took some accessories off the old one and then gave that to my son in law.

I did this after evaluating the 2018 Venture and Eluder and Goldwings and decided I liked the RSTD even better.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Sounds like I want one of each, oh decisions

Is it possible to remove the trunk off the RSV and possibly add a back rest (or not) like you can with the RSTD? Even if it's a two hour job. Can the RSV be stripped of the trunk and look ok? I can not find a picture anywhere of an RSV that is trunkless.

I want the ability to possible go 700 miles to visit a daughter moving out of state, but when home, I mostly do 100 mile / day backroad cruises. I think I'd like the idea of better wind protection of the RSV, along with the cassette.. lol

Hi SpencerPJ:

Reading all the posts so far, we are pleasantly surprised by all the positive comments about the RSTD!! (We owned an '09). The ONLY reasons for sale were age (73 then), and big time Health problems. We were 6'1" then. Thanks to Age now (76) and Arthritis, we're down to 5'10", and unable to handle either the weight, or height issues.

Of the 20 bikes we've owned, the RSTD was our hands-down favorite for Looks, Handling, Comfort (including a 'Wing), Wind Protection, AND day-long riding enjoyment!! In our opinion the whine is getting more squawks than deserved - it is NOT that irritating, and kinda sounds like you're riding some sort of Turbo-equipped rocket ship. (Hey, whatever works!) Can't help you with seat issues; for years we've used an air-adjustable Airhawk seat cushion on all our bikes, resolving ANY issues for less than $200.

The RSTD is definitely top heavy at slow speeds, but so is the RSV; at YOUR size this should not be an issue.

Nor should reliability; the RSTDs came with a FIVE year warranty, but we never had a single problem; end of story.

There is also a significant cost bonus, compared to the fairing-equipped RSVs.

Perhaps the decision should be which bike is more practical for your needs; the long-distance cruising RSV, or the more versatile RSTD? How many long distance rides do you actually take in a year, vs. how often do you simply go riding?

That's our story, and we're sticking to it.

Rgds, WRIDR