IGNORED

Interesting problem.

Took 89 VR out for a run this morning. Been awhile.

She started up and I backed out of garage. Was sitting with stand down, letting her warm up and she died. Radio was playing. Would not start. Cycled ignition, stop switch, kickstand. Nothing... Not even a click. Radio, lights, horn all worked. Walked her back in garage and put kickstand down. Sat there thinking " what the...."?

Turned key and stop switch...vrooom. what?

Took off on an hour run. Not one issue.

2 questions:

What else besides above would stop engine deader than a door nail? Oil pressure switch, turn over switch? Anything else?

2nd question: I got a Christmas Elf for the RSV..."V4".

20171105_114932.jpg

Trying to come up for a name for my Holiday Moose... On the VR. "G1" maybe? Suggestions?

20171116_114518.jpg

Edited by videoarizona
Grrr.. Why does a properly set up picture turn sideways when upsides only at this site!!!

Had a moose ride on the back of my 85 for quite a few years and then this year after our trip to Minden, moose country, there she was,,, GONE!!!

As far as what might have stopped a first gen??? only thing I can say is that you waited too long to get going. These scoots don't like to sit waiting and looking nice, they want to be ridden.

Now for a real answer, I would check out the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. My relay gave me an issue once and then cleared up,, I got a spare, put it in a saddle bag and never used it. And oh, in the process of checking out the problem I did drop the original on the floor but I did not step on it or kick it, just put it back in. Of course this did not stop it from turning over, for that I might check the clutch switch first and the sidestand switch second.

Another something ya might check = I had something like that happen years ago on one of mine.. As I recall,, there is a wire going from the battery to the ignition system with another one of the funky terminal splices that lays right in front of the batter that had somehow jiggled loose. Got to trying to figure out what happened while setting on the side of the road with my daughter yapping in my ear, noticed that connector didn't look right, pulled it the rest of the way apart, cleaned it, pushed it back together and never did it again..

As far a name for your riding partner,,,, :scratchchin:,,,,, looking at the direction he is facing and knowing what he will probably see back there,,, how bout HOG KALLER :banana:,,,,, and we friends of Hog Kaller will just call him HoKy:biker:

GREAT PICS!! Thanks Vaz!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Still no clue. I'm going to go with the kickstand switch was stuck. Even though I moved the kickstand in and out a few times and nothing happened she still wouldn't start. Only after I walked her back into the garage and put the kickstand back down did she kick over and run. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Guess tomorrow I should go out and spray some cleaner around the switch and clean up the area. Can't hurt, for sure...

Think I'll stick with "G2" for the moose name. I like Puc's suggestion, but my HD buddy might not smile!! And we do ride together as often as we can...

Hope everyone had a good turkey day! I'm now gearing up for Santa....scouting cards and such!

I found that that start signal goes a lot of places before anything happens.

When you say it would not start, did it turn over but not start or did it do nothing when you pushed the start button?

The obvious first culprits are the kill switch, the start switch, and the side stand switch. Clean each of these. On mine I also had an intermittent kill and no crank caused by a bad factory crimp on the Red/White wire that goes to the kill switch the bad crimp was in the connector inside of the faring. Accessible thru the headlight or with the wind shield and instrument cover off.

Jeff,

Nothing at all...no starter, no click...dead.

That's why I'm leaning to the kickstand. But I do agree the kill switch or turn over switch could do the same thing...

BTW, still running well since then. No issues.

The tip over relay and switch only kills the fuel pump.

I hate intermittent electrical gremlins, they can be the hardest to find. I just hope it does not leave you stranded somewhere out in the boonies. Pack some food, water, and a charged cell phone..............

The tip over relay and switch only kills the fuel pump.

I hate intermittent electrical gremlins, they can be the hardest to find. I just hope it does not leave you stranded somewhere out in the boonies. Pack some food, water, and a charged cell phone..............

And the number of a few 1st gen owners in that area with tools!!!:Avatars_Gee_George::backinmyday:

Update:

Still no clue. I'm going to go with the kickstand switch was stuck. Even though I moved the kickstand in and out a few times and nothing happened she still wouldn't start. Only after I walked her back into the garage and put the kickstand back down did she kick over and run. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Guess tomorrow I should go out and spray some cleaner around the switch and clean up the area. Can't hurt, for sure...

Think I'll stick with "G2" for the moose name. I like Puc's suggestion, but my HD buddy might not smile!! And we do ride together as often as we can...

Hope everyone had a good turkey day! I'm now gearing up for Santa....scouting cards and such!

Is it even possible you may have just bumped the kill switch enuff that it wouldn't start and as you put it back in the garage maybe it was nudged just enough? I know mine will do it once in a while being a pain, then also once in a while will be just a hair hard to start turns over but no fire...

Well....I think I found the problem.

The starter switch. The other day I went to start the scoot... Nothing. Hmmm. I know battery is good... So I rocked the kill switch...nada. OK. That leaves the starter switch. I rocked it back and forth, turned on key. Works! Turned off with kill switch. Tried again.... Had to rock starter switch then Vroom.

I got this. Grab last can of Radio Shack contact cleaner and squirt around switch while rocking. Works good now! Dirty switch.

On my next maintenance taking apart the switch and it's little pieces is now added to my list. Need to remember the baggie trick so I don't lose anything!

That was interesting.....

Guess I need to remind self this scoot was made in 89! It's ok for a switch to get dirty!