IGNORED

IMHO,, best review of the new Wing so far!!

cowpuc

Includes a lot of detail, even has a dyno chart showing a comparison between then and now.. I also noticed the base model (replacing the F6B) manual tranny weighs less then 800 pounds - NICE!!! Good read for anyone interested in the new one!!

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/first-look-2018-honda-gold-wing-and-gold-wing-tour.html

I will have to save all my hotdog cash :mo money: :080402gudl_prv::parrots::fingers-crossed-emo

Maybe we could all save our Hot Dog cash up,, petition our club President to write a letter to Mom Honda for us and get us some kind of a club discount/group buy thing going.. Buy 5 = 8%, 10 or more = 12% discount??? Keep a little money in the Hot Dog fund that way brother!!:thumbsup:

Man cant live on Hot Wings alone,, gotta have an occasional Hot Dog tossed in there too :fatsmiley::big-grin-emoticon:

Wonder what they give ya these days for making large withdraws at the bank if ya don't have a account there???:think::Avatars_Gee_George::mugshot:

Hmmm,,, maybe a better approach with potentially less down time :mugshot: :missingtooth: would be to go test ride one and forget to take it back at the end of the demo :256:... That way, when the :cop: show up at your door you can plead ignorance and tell em ya thought they said you won the bike and that they gave it to ya :big-grin-emoticon::crackup:.. If ya decide to that though DanL' PLEASE let me know ahead of time cause I wanna ride down there and video the whole shananigan and post it on you tube :guitarist 2::beer::banana:.... :happy65::happy65::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Wonder what they give ya these days for making large withdraws at the bank if ya don't have a account there???:think::Avatars_Gee_George::mugshot:

If you're a bank executive probably a big fat raise, a promotion & a pat on the back for a job well done, Then a job in Guvmint fixin' the books!

If you're you or me, probably 15 years or so!

Yikes. It looks like Honda listened to their customer base and provided the bike riders want to purchase. I like the looks of it and am thinking hard on jumping ship. Although I will give it enough time to shake out any new bike issues.

Mike

The only negative I see is the decreased storage capacity. Down 40 litres from the current wing. Heck I think my fjr with my 57l Givi has more. The topcase luggage rack also looks small. Guess a trailer hitch NEEDS to be made for it... But looks like they fixed most of the complaints I had with my 08 wing. (though rumor is that 6th gear ratio is the same as 5th on my 08)

OK...I've been reading all the comments on the new Wing and will have to say that I agree that it is a very nice bike. I think that Honda will do very well with it.

That being said, I can see where it will attract a lot of you first gen lovers but those of us who love the second gens are still waiting on our bike. :) It looks like the only thing available to us at this point is the VTwin models. While I'm not looking for a new bike at this moment, I guess the new Star Venture would still be at the top of my list.

Includes a lot of detail, even has a dyno chart showing a comparison between then and now.. I also noticed the base model (replacing the F6B) manual tranny weighs less then 800 pounds - NICE!!! Good read for anyone interested in the new one!!

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/first-look-2018-honda-gold-wing-and-gold-wing-tour.html

Hey Puc,

I sent the link you referred to my cousin, who rides a BMW R1200RT, and he responded back for me to go to Motorcycling.com and check out what they had on the new Wing. I did, and they had a great write up with even more detail than the link you sent, and they have a cool video of the writer over in Japan test riding the new wing on Honda's race track.

You should go there and check it out.

BL

1st Gen with removable bags way ahead of its time!! Pull them off and leave in garage completely different ride!! Like changing bikes!!!:backinmyday:

Thusly making that which is fastest even faster :bikersmilie::bikersmilie::bikersmilie::15_8_211[1]:

I still think if Mom Yam would have just reintroduced the exact Venture she gave us in 83 (minus the 1st year production bugs of course) for close to what they sold for new back then and just included with it the V-Boost = she really truly would have turned the touring world upside down... I would have signed the papers right at Americade had she of done that!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Hey Puc,

I sent the link you referred to my cousin, who rides a BMW R1200RT, and he responded back for me to go to Motorcycling.com and check out what they had on the new Wing. I did, and they had a great write up with even more detail than the link you sent, and they have a cool video of the writer over in Japan test riding the new wing on Honda's race track.

BL

THANKS BL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On my wayyyyyyyyyyyy:7_2_102[1]:

THANKS BL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On my wayyyyyyyyyyyy:7_2_102[1]:

But first I gotta go take Maggie for a :bikersmilie: ,, been a couple days since she has been out of her coup because of rain and all this motorcycle :Im not listening to is making my trigger finger itch.. :big-grin-emoticon:

Hey Puc,

BL

WOWZY BL!! Very well done :thumbsup:,,,, PLEASE tell your cousin ol' Pucster said THANKS a gillzion!!

Lenny,, did you hop over and get a peek at the material at "MO" that your cousin sent to you? If so, did you happen to notice the reference that denotes the CRF450R valve train comparison? I have ridden, on track and single trackin, both the CRF450R and 250R many many times and got to say = that line of scoots was/is nothing short of phenomenal = DEFINITELY HIGH HP AND EXCELLENT RIDERS! Any way,, I was very glad to see those guys let the world know that the RnD department at Honda went forward in using "race" techology in developing this new motor.. I have to say though,, I am still kind of questioning why they didnt finish the job and let this new one perform like it appears it is capable of.. The dyno sheets between the old school 2 valve motor 1800 and this new 4 valve motor are almost identical.

In defense of Honda, I will say this. One of the things us dirt riders in West Mi learned when Honda released the CRF450 was how frugal a highly effecient motor can be. My KX500 2 stroke would burn almost twice the fuel as the CRF450R in performing the same tasks.. I have a hunch that the folks at Honda had maybe decided that the huge weight loss they worked so hard to obtain, coupled with the few extra ponies they derived even while holding its reigns tight (possibly limiting its R's - or HP - to assist in keeping the wing durable) resulting in what appears to be a very promising excellent HP to weight ratio was good enough. Then I also wonder just how much Mom Yam's decision to not go for performance in the new Venture by hitting the market hard with a V-Max V-4 motor gave them some space for not needing to focus on real performance.. A lot to think about!

Another amazing point.. You notice what a Base 6 speed Goldwing weighs? Well under 800 POUNDS!! Thinking of that,, here we got a full on water cooled, shaft driven, 6 cylinder touring bike WITH REVERSE at almost 200 pounds less than the new air cooled, 2 cylinder , belt driven Yam,,, :think:,, :scratchchin:,,, makes no sense,, still just makes no sense :buttkick:

Maybe we could all save our Hot Dog cash up,, petition our club President to write a letter to Mom Honda for us and get us some kind of a club discount/group buy thing going.. Buy 5 = 8%, 10 or more = 12% discount??? Keep a little money in the Hot Dog fund that way brother!![emoji106]

Man cant live on Hot Wings alone,, gotta have an occasional Hot Dog tossed in there too :fatsmiley::big-grin-emoticon:

How about we setup a Pony Express type exchange between Venture Riders from coast to coast US/Canada. Each participant has two days to reach the next stop/rider. They could donate 2 bikes and provide a camera man.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How about we setup a Pony Express type exchange between Venture Riders from coast to coast US/Canada. Each participant has two days to reach the next stop/rider. They could donate 2 bikes and provide a camera man.

Then raffle them off to membership.

Then raffle them off to membership.

WOWZY I like how you think Ty!!!!:thumbsup::fingers-crossed-emo:clap2:

Mom Honda,, if your reading this and like the way this guy thinks too,,,, I just asked my wife/best friend and touring buddy = "Tippy" and she gave the :thumbsup: for us to volunteer to be the first inline "Pony Express" riders to do the first coast to coast and back again at the beginning of the summer of '18... Please put our names at the top of the list if you decide to go forward with this TOTALLY doable plan!!!

WOWZY BL!! Very well done :thumbsup:,,,, PLEASE tell your cousin ol' Pucster said THANKS a gillzion!!

Lenny,, did you hop over and get a peek at the material at "MO" that your cousin sent to you? If so, did you happen to notice the reference that denotes the CRF450R valve train comparison? I have ridden, on track and single trackin, both the CRF450R and 250R many many times and got to say = that line of scoots was/is nothing short of phenomenal = DEFINITELY HIGH HP AND EXCELLENT RIDERS! Any way,, I was very glad to see those guys let the world know that the RnD department at Honda went forward in using "race" techology in developing this new motor.. I have to say though,, I am still kind of questioning why they didnt finish the job and let this new one perform like it appears it is capable of.. The dyno sheets between the old school 2 valve motor 1800 and this new 4 valve motor are almost identical.

In defense of Honda, I will say this. One of the things us dirt riders in West Mi learned when Honda released the CRF450 was how frugal a highly effecient motor can be. My KX500 2 stroke would burn almost twice the fuel as the CRF450R in performing the same tasks.. I have a hunch that the folks at Honda had maybe decided that the huge weight loss they worked so hard to obtain, coupled with the few extra ponies they derived even while holding its reigns tight (possibly limiting its R's - or HP - to assist in keeping the wing durable) resulting in what appears to be a very promising excellent HP to weight ratio was good enough. Then I also wonder just how much Mom Yam's decision to not go for performance in the new Venture by hitting the market hard with a V-Max V-4 motor gave them some space for not needing to focus on real performance.. A lot to think about!

Another amazing point.. You notice what a Base 6 speed Goldwing weighs? Well under 800 POUNDS!! Thinking of that,, here we got a full on water cooled, shaft driven, 6 cylinder touring bike WITH REVERSE at almost 200 pounds less than the new air cooled, 2 cylinder , belt driven Yam,,, :think:,, :scratchchin:,,, makes no sense,, still just makes no sense :buttkick:

Hey Puc,

As usual, you make some very valid points.

As far as the Goldwing weighing 200lbs less than the new Venture, now that is pretty dang amazing! Honda does some crazy cool stuff with the design of the Wing that is underneath all that Tupperware. I remember a few years back, The Discovery Channel did an hour long story on the design and build of the current model Goldwing. Honda enlisted their top sport bike designer to work his magic on the Goldwing. He designed a trick oversized sportbike resembling aluminum frame for that big ol machine. That thing was a performance beast under all that plastic. So, I'm sure they have done the same with the new 2018 Wing.

Hey Puc,

As usual, you make some very valid points.

As far as the Goldwing weighing 200lbs less than the new Venture, now that is pretty dang amazing! Honda does some crazy cool stuff with the design of the Wing that is underneath all that Tupperware. I remember a few years back, The Discovery Channel did an hour long story on the design and build of the current model Goldwing. Honda enlisted their top sport bike designer to work his magic on the Goldwing. He designed a trick oversized sportbike resembling aluminum frame for that big ol machine. That thing was a performance beast under all that plastic. So, I'm sure they have done the same with the new 2018 Wing.

INDEED MY BROTHER = INDEED!! Another crazy point that, for some reason (IMHO) is getting totally overlooked here is price point for what each perspective manufacturer is trying to obtain for the "work" they have done.. Looking at RnD costs = I just cant see where falling backwards into lesser designs like belt n pulley drive compared to shaft drive or air cooled/push rod motors compared to state of the art water cooled motors could/should demand matching MSRP sell point. I know,, its just a matter of opinion (time will tell because people speak with their wallets) but I think the Yam is a $17,000 bike if the Honda is a $27,000 bike. The other shame, IMHO, is that Mom Yam has just as much going for it as Honda does with endless possibilities right at their finger tips.. Simply detuning that V-Max motor and then boosting it to recover it's potential Torq/HP while increasing MPG in a full blown touring bike would have definitely made it a worthy high dollar scoot and,,, a REAL game changer!

I know I shouldn't do this cause it may sound like I am anti-Yamaha or something (and I am not,, I LOVE Yamaha's) but I am gonna say it anyway.. If I had to predict anything,, considering the condition that The MOCO just reported for their 3rd quarter and knowing now that Mom Yam chose to follow them as a competitor,,,, I am gonna predict that this new Honda turns into a really decent seller for Honda = not stellar as days of yesteryear cause I dont think the over all buyers are still around but I do think they are in good shape from what I am seeing in their release.. I think Mom Yam is in trouble with their new one and, just as Polaris found with their Victory (keeping in mind that the Victories even had a much lower sell point then the new Venture), the target market they sought is just to small. I say that because I have been watching a wide variety of forums responding to the new Yam and it seems like the Victory forums have the highest support and most chatter going on about the new Yam = in some ways, even more then the Yamaha/Star forums AND, remembering why Polaris shut down Victory (because the brand just did not sell) - that is NOT a positive thing IMHO..