IGNORED

Ordered gauges and 6 mm adapters

baylensman

So I'm going try it! Synching my own carbs. Hopefully this will be what I need to get the MPG up to where the rest of y'all claim to be. I'm consistently 29-32 MPG for 4 years now. All kinds of riding and kinds of weather, I got up to 35 on a long interstate trip at 75+mph last year.

Bike has always ran good, and the power seems consistent with my last two v-4 yamies.

Pipes aren't black or sotty at all.

I Live in FL but need the choke every morning to start, some folks fell that unless the temp is under 50F i should n't need it.

Occasionally loud "POP" on deceleration, if I let the motor do the work, instead of the brakes. (I Know that can stretch the rods)

I do have KN filters in place.

I have not disconnected any hose or did the "Jason" mod bike is all stock except for cosmetics.

i guess the gauge will be here during the week, I'll do an Oil change and the Sync next weekend and report back as to my results.:think:

So I'm going try it! Synching my own carbs. Hopefully this will be what I need to get the MPG up to where the rest of y'all claim to be. I'm consistently 29-32 MPG for 4 years now. All kinds of riding and kinds of weather, I got up to 35 on a long interstate trip at 75+mph last year.

Bike has always ran good, and the power seems consistent with my last two v-4 yamies.

Pipes aren't black or sotty at all.

I Live in FL but need the choke every morning to start, some folks fell that unless the temp is under 50F i should n't need it.

Occasionally loud "POP" on deceleration, if I let the motor do the work, instead of the brakes. (I Know that can stretch the rods)

I do have KN filters in place.

I have not disconnected any hose or did the "Jason" mod bike is all stock except for cosmetics.

i guess the gauge will be here during the week, I'll do an Oil change and the Sync next weekend and report back as to my results.:think:

It seems the longer trips and the less shifting I have to do is where my mileage goes up. I get a hair more then you consistently I am still trying to figure out How I pulled off the 43 miles to a gallon on my trip back from Arkansas on the way down I only got 38....

The way I interpreted this is that you are going to make up your own gauge set to sync with. The problem with doing that is you might need tiny restriction orifices in the vacuum lines to keep the gauges steady. I bought a Motion Pro unit that had orifces in the vacuum lines that were so tiny that I could barely see them. I didn't like that brand at all and got rid of it. Then I made one using long tubes and trans fluid.

This is what I am using now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Carburetor-Synchronizer-carb-sync-Gauge-Yamaha-XS-XJ-1100-1200-5mm-6mm-/391372275126?epid=2213025123&hash=item5b1f9afdb6:g:vwEAAOSw2xRYaCCS&vxp=mtr

and have successfully used this kit on everything from 1st Gen Ventures (everytime I change the oil on my scoots), early 750 SOHC Hondas and Twins, early Gold Wings and indeed, even one 2nd Gen (how bout that @mirider - back me up?)..This kit comes with all the adapters one would need.. I have owned and used many types = electronic Twin Max (got stolen), Carb Tune = slides got sticky and ya had to bang on it to keep em freed up = pain in the neck and even a good old Mercury Stick (replacement Mercury got hard to find and expensive)..

What ever you end up with, I commend you on doing your own syncing and hope it turns out to give you the results you are looking for..

the way i interpreted this is that you are going to make up your own gauge set to sync with. The problem with doing that is you might need tiny restriction orifices in the vacuum lines to keep the gauges steady. I bought a motion pro unit that had orifces in the vacuum lines that were so tiny that i could barely see them. I didn't like that brand at all and got rid of it. Then i made one using long tubes and trans fluid.

no order the 4 guage set as recommened from an ebay vendor but added the 6 mm adapters, not included in the base kit

Cowpuc,

I am not questioning your word just want to clearify. The carb syc guages you recommend below: When I put into their fitment chart my 2012 RSV it was stated they will not work on it. If I understood you correctly you have used them on the second gen which mine is. I need a set so just want to be clear before I order.

Thank you

This is what I am using now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Carburetor-Synchronizer-carb-sync-Gauge-Yamaha-XS-XJ-1100-1200-5mm-6mm-/391372275126?epid=2213025123&hash=item5b1f9afdb6:g:vwEAAOSw2xRYaCCS&vxp=mtr

and have successfully used this kit on everything from 1st Gen Ventures (everytime I change the oil on my scoots), early 750 SOHC Hondas and Twins, early Gold Wings and indeed, even one 2nd Gen (how bout that mirider - back me up?)..This kit comes with all the adapters one would need.. I have owned and used many types = electronic Twin Max (got stolen), Carb Tune = slides got sticky and ya had to bang on it to keep em freed up = pain in the neck and even a good old Mercury Stick (replacement Mercury got hard to find and expensive)..

What ever you end up with, I commend you on doing your own syncing and hope it turns out to give you the results you are looking for..

Cowpuc,

I am not questioning your word just want to clearify. The carb syc guages you recommend below: When I put into their fitment chart my 2012 RSV it was stated they will not work on it. If I understood you correctly you have used them on the second gen which mine is. I need a set so just want to be clear before I order.

Thank you

Don't know where that bay post came from but not what I bought. I my at work not home so I couldn't past the link. its the MOTION PRO syncPRO carb turner set with 5 mm tips. I had the supplier add the 6 mm tips, also on the same ticket

Cowpuc,

Thank you

Wassup Leroy!!

Not a problem questioning my word even if you were brother,, matter of fact,, I HIGHLY recommend you do just that when it comes to this stuff (anytime your dealing with a backyard mechanic at best like myself,, its best to consider the source and ask a LOT of questions = IMHO)..

Probably the reason you dont find the RSV spect out on those gauges is because, like the 1st Gens before the RSV,, NO additional adapters beyond the rubber hoses that attach to the spigots on the guages themselves are required to sync our V-4's.. A little more explaination?

If you look at the intake manifolds on your RSV you will notice (1) nipple covered by a rubber plug on each manifold or, possibly a vacuum line connected to one of those nipples.. What you do is detach the rubber plug from the nipple and slip the rubber hose directly over this nipple to attach a vacuum gauge onto each manifold = does that make any form of any kind of sense? Dont be afraid to say no and ask for more info as I KNOW I am rather hard to follow at times..

The adaptors in the Vacuum gauge kit I have listed are actually for other applications requiring 6mm extention/adapters.. For instance,, my motor of choice for building Choppers in days past was the early Honda SOHC 750.. That motor required a 6mm adaptor with at least an 8 inch stem to attach the hose to and those are part of that kit you see that I posted from Ebay.. The only reason I mentioned that Kit is because the O.P. of this thread mentioned 6mm adaptors and that kit happens to have the biggest variety of adaptors..

I have used those adaptors many many times in years past and find them a necessary part of this tool BUT,, if you or anyone else are purchasing a vacuum gauge sync tool just to use on one of our Yamaha V-4's (including the early V-Max) it is not necessary to purchase the full kit like I did.. Just the gauges and hoses would work fine as long as the nipples are permenantly imbedded into the intake manifold BUT,, be warned,, if you have any inclining that you may want to help a friend that owns a scoot that does not incorporate built in sync nipples = you WILL be glad you have those adapters = make sense?

If you decide to do this you will probably do yourself a favor by making sure the set you are buying has adjustable orvices on its manifold to smooth out the gauges when being used..

P.S.

Here is a short video I made for someone inquiring about syncing one of our bikes.. Keep in mind that, if memory serves me correctly (I have only did one 2nd Gen = mirider 's), the 2nd Gen's sync screws on the carbs are in different locations than those of the 1st Gens. From that I deduce that they are probably linked differently requiring this to be so.. Again though, the stock 2nd Gen manifolds still utilize permenant nipples on their intake manifolds and, due to this,, you dont have to buy the full kit as shown in my post above... Hope this helps..

Puc

Don't know where that bay post came from but not what I bought. I my at work not home so I couldn't past the link. its the MOTION PRO syncPRO carb turner set with 5 mm tips. I had the supplier add the 6 mm tips, also on the same ticket

I bought one of those from ebay. when I tried to use it, bubbles formed in the fluid no matter what I did. I called the manufacturer. They said the vendor I bought it from was not an approved vendor but suggested i buy a fluid refill kit. If the sync is out very much the fluid will be sucked into the manifold which also happened. So, I sold it for a whole lot less than I paid for it and was happy to be rid of it. A forum member bought it so if you put up with its idiosyncracies, it will do the job I suppose.