IGNORED

Top bolt of rear shock wont budge.

Well once again a quick project turns into an all day affair.

I am swapping out my rear shock, and I got the top nut off..

tried to remove bolt, used my socket extenders to tap it out..nadda..

jacked bike up and down in quarter inch increments..nadda..

So I figure I didn't find the right spot to take off pressure, so I disconnect the bottom bolt and the pressure would be gone..

Now with no pressure at all on shock I give it a tap, and harder, and harder..

Using the extensions was a pain so I found a shallow socket that just slipped over bolt end,

and gave it quite a few good wack with the hammer and nothing... so I back and try using socket on other end, and that when I see it looks like it is welded on..

get the camera too a macro pick so I could see closer, and hmmmm.. not real sure..

right now I have it soaked full of PBBlaster,, but has anyone had this issue?

Thank you

Chuck

P8060004.jpg

Should be able to, going out to see if PBBlaster helped any and I will brush it too..

it really doesn't look that bad in real life, looks real clean, but picture shows its really isn't..hahaha

Hate to tell you this, but the bolt is not suppose to turn just the nut.remove nut and push bolt out!

Almost looks like somehow, some weld got through the washer to the bolt head. If you have a cold chisel (preferred tool)or crappy old screw driver along with your hammer, try spreading the washer away from the bolt head a little bit.

The only other option would be to use a dremmel tool to grind the weld off.

Is there enough thread sticking out so you could get two nuts on the threaded end? If that is possible you could jam the two nuts together and then using a wrench on the jammed nuts maybe get the bolt to rotate just a bit in the keeper to break it loose.

I agree it looks like maybe some weld splatter got on the bolt head fixing it to the keeper. I suppose the shock will not slide off the bolt?

The bolt does look to be stuck against the keeper. As M61A suggested, couple nuts locked together you might be able to rotate it one way or the other. Try to get a pipe or something on the wrench or ratchet to get some leverage to try to break it free. Otherwise...couple nuts on the end of the bolt to protect the threads and with a decent sized sledge what the sh!t out of it.

:-)

Possible to get a torch on it without damaging anything?

I would have to figure out how to get in there. pics are taken from where the footboard was, took off both sides..

maybe I will try to find long thin end screw driver at harbor freight..

Bolt is not Binding, it does wiggle a little and go forward and back a little..

I will try the nut thing too...

thank you everyone... this sucks...hahaha..

I would have to figure out how to get in there. pics are taken from where the footboard was, took off both sides..

maybe I will try to find long thin end screw driver at harbor freight..

Bolt is not Binding, it does wiggle a little and go forward and back a little..

I will try the nut thing too...

thank you everyone... this sucks...hahaha..

Make sure the rear of the bike is in the air with no weight on the swingarm.

Make sure you remove the bottom links, and the bottom shock bolt first.

The shock should be just dangling there from the top bolt only.

Take a long punch from the right hand side of the bike and just tap it out. If it moves at all right now, it should come out easily.

rshock.jpg

Bottom bolt is removed...

shock moves freely back and forth as much as it can before hitting other parts of the bike..

here is a pic of right side..

and a new one of left.. using camera as a microscope Take a good clear pic and zoom in on PC,, hahaha..

I see an area I may need to get..

after that I made a long bar with socket that slips over top 1/2 of bolt to keep it in place and I pound it with a hammer..

P8070013.jpg

P8070014.jpg

P8070015.jpg

I got it!!!!

Took a small long flat head I bought on the way home from work and went the spot I noticed on the picture, and hit some hard whacks and I felt the screw driver sink in, so I wiggled it around and made it wider for a bigger flat head, did the same thing and bam, I could move the bolt..it was still a pain, but it came out, now I need to hope Ace hardware has one because the top threads are shot on this one..

Thank you all for your help!!!

Chuck

I got it!!!!

Took a small long flat head I bought on the way home from work and went the spot I noticed on the picture, and hit some hard whacks and I felt the screw driver sink in, so I wiggled it around and made it wider for a bigger flat head, did the same thing and bam, I could move the bolt..it was still a pain, but it came out, now I need to hope Ace hardware has one because the top threads are shot on this one..

Thank you all for your help!!!

Chuck

Good job. Glad you are back in business. I knew a cold chisel or flat head screwdriver would do the trick to spread the washer from the weld. Just be sure to squeeze the washer back when you get the new bolt in place.

If Ace doesn't have the bolt, you could buy a die or stop at a local machine shop to clean up the threads. If that doesn't work for you, you can go here and order one.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Catalog.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-dzY5aLG1QIVVTyBCh1Z0wWaEAAYASAAEgKFkvD_BwE

Hate to tell you this, but the bolt is not suppose to turn just the nut.remove nut and push bolt out!

What he said the nut must come off first then the bolt will tap out from the other side, reinstall the bolt making sure it hits the locking tabs then just tighten the nut.

Trying to turn the bolt won't work!!!!!

Way to go now my shock let go. waaaa What brand did you put on in its place? I just ordered a hagon for mine was 536.00 as bought for fat guy. Did I pay to much. Any words of experience that would help me. Was going to wait till winter but hit a small bump. It looked small but I think it made me shorter. :mo money::mo money::crying::bawling: