IGNORED

fuel pump

rpm 13

I am starting to have trouble with my fuel pump on my 2007 venture with 30,000 miles.Looking around the internet and found a pump from high flo fuel quantum fuel systems that is warranted for life.Does anyone have any experience or any reviews on these pumps? The cost is 69.95 Or should I stick with oem from dennis kirk for 200.00?

I checked this out, it reeks of Chinese aftermarket, and if this is the case I would not touch it regardless of warranty. The seller should be able to tell you where it was manufactured so you can make a more informed decision. Generally speaking I would go with even a used OEM before Chinese aftermarket. Clever advertising doesnt change the consistently substandard items from China flooding our aftermarket. I always ask and I get answers like "designed in Japan" which means made in China. There is usually only one reason a vendor does not proudly give country of manufacure right in the ad. I like to hear "made in Japan" like the K&L aftermarket items. Not having owned one I cant say for sure but do ask before you buy and be cautioned. If it were made in Japan I might take a chance on it for less than half price, but thats just me being cheap haha.

I would not be afraid of a good used one for probably a decimal point of new OEM. Really nothing out there beats OEM quality for jap bikes/cars.

Edited by CaseyJ955

I am starting to have trouble with my fuel pump on my 2007 venture with 30,000 miles.Looking around the internet and found a pump from high flo fuel quantum fuel systems that is warranted for life.Does anyone have any experience or any reviews on these pumps? The cost is 69.95 Or should I stick with oem from dennis kirk for 200.00?

So check this out, http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-PUMP-FITS-YAMAHA-1D6-13907-00-00-/281995074619?rmvSB=true, I think both prices you listed are out of line, especially $200.00 from Dennis Kirk.

Also try here for a rebuild kit on the points http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/pages/Catalog/Product/158278?catalogID=15&categoryID=156&subCategoryID=10623

I had remembered something about using volkswagen fuel pumps from Autozone costing about $20, but that may have been for a 1st Gen. In any case, you can probably cross reference the ebay fuel pump to one from a local autoparts store. Should be able to get one in the $20 range.

see this thread for a couple solutions.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?122266-3rd-Dead-Fuel-installing-Mr-Gasket-42-S&highlight=fuel+pump

Edited by RandyR

A few years ago I switched my old bike to the Mr Gasket pump. Easy install and I put 30,000+ miles on it with no trouble. With no check valve I always did, and still do, turn my fuel off at the petcock whenever I park the bike

A few years ago I switched my old bike to the Mr Gasket pump. Easy install and I put 30,000+ miles on it with no trouble. With no check valve I always did, and still do, turn my fuel off at the petcock whenever I park the bike

Caltric has them fairly cheap. The Dennis Kirk is the one I put in my bike. Mitsubishi pump, exact same as stock on the bike. Plug and play. Some have jerry rigged automotive pumps. Personally, I like the removal of the one screw that holds the strap that wraps around the pump, pull of the two hoses and unplug it. Reverse the process and your done. 15 minute job. I am not one for jerry rigging stuff just to save a few bucks. Personally, if I buy a used bike and the first time I have to work on it and see something what is described in this forum thread......that bike will be put up for sale asap.

I bought the Dennis Kirk pump and I also bought the Caltric pump (28 bucks) and put it in the saddle bag just incase. Check ebay for both. But if you like playing backyard Barney the jerry rigger, by all means save a few bucks, create more work for yourself and jerry rig away.

I have heard of the Mr Gasket stuff working. Not cutting edge stuff but cheap and readily available. Make sure to get one for carbs, not EFI, something in the 4-7 lb psi range or the float needles will be overwhelmed. Many are round and about the same size, should be good to go.

You may want to check to see if you just need to replace the contact points in your pump.

ya what he said

I had my pump start giving me grief about the same mileage. Mine were pitted, I ran a nail file over them. Kept me going until I got some new points.

i don't think there's very many on the forum that have had their pump wear out, it seems to be the points usually !?

i can't remember for sure, I think you can get points from K and L.

Someone else will chime in if I'm wrong.

Caltric has them fairly cheap. The Dennis Kirk is the one I put in my bike. Mitsubishi pump, exact same as stock on the bike. Plug and play. Some have jerry rigged automotive pumps. Personally, I like the removal of the one screw that holds the strap that wraps around the pump, pull of the two hoses and unplug it. Reverse the process and your done. 15 minute job. I am not one for jerry rigging stuff just to save a few bucks. Personally, if I buy a used bike and the first time I have to work on it and see something what is described in this forum thread......that bike will be put up for sale asap.

I bought the Dennis Kirk pump and I also bought the Caltric pump (28 bucks) and put it in the saddle bag just incase. Check ebay for both. But if you like playing backyard Barney the jerry rigger, by all means save a few bucks, create more work for yourself and jerry rig away.

Rick,

Exactly how I feel. My fuel pump went out last weekend on my 2007 RSTD. While I know that I can fiddle and jerry rig and mess with this and mess with that, I decided my time and effort are better spent doing something else. Plus, I need the peace of mind of knowing I should get another 10 years out of the OEM, without having to wonder if my jerry rig is gonna keep working.

I ordered the OEM from Partzilla for $217.00, it delivered yesterday, and I'll install it tomorrow.

Big Lenny

One good thing here is that the 2nd Gens can just bypass the fuel pump with a hose and as long as the fuel tank is kept half full, the pump isn't required. So even if it goes out on the road, we can keep scooting.

I just had mine replaced on my 2013 RSV (28K miles) under warranty. I am considering a switch to the Facet solid state unit. I would not have replaced the original with an OEM if weren't under warranty. A part that is known to have a high failure rate just begs for a good old American backyard engineered solution in my mind. Some call it gerry rigging, but I call it improving. Different strokes for different folks. :uk2:

• 2 weeks later...
So check this out, http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-PUMP-FITS-YAMAHA-1D6-13907-00-00-/281995074619?rmvSB=true, I think both prices you listed are out of line, especially $200.00 from Dennis Kirk.

Also try here for a rebuild kit on the points http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/pages/Catalog/Product/158278?catalogID=15&categoryID=156&subCategoryID=10623

I bought one of those on Ebay for $15 and it didn't work right out of the box. Got my money back though.

Great advice from everyone. Several options. If you can afford the new pump from Dennis Kirk then I would suggest going that route. Quick and easy. Then replace the points in your existing pump and have a spare. If you need help contact me.

My points are just about shot on my 06 RSV. I know because I looked and one side is half gone and have had to take boot off a couple times to get it to work when starting. I want to replace the points. There is a link above for Universal Fuel Pump Point Switch Kit K&L. Is this the one recommended for my bike? http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/pages/Catalog/Product/158278?catalogID=15&categoryID=156&subCategoryID=10623