IGNORED

Query re Air shock & Pumps

Kretz

I often ride two up on my 2009 RSTD but also sometimes just me.

I have never pumped up the shocks (or checked if they are at anything above factory setting) Should I be pumping the shocks when riding two up & will that make for a softer ride for my wife. Do I need to reduce pressure if riding alone.

One up rider weight is around 240lbs two up it's around 400lb+

The bike came with a low pressure gauge, (not pump) Do I really need a "special pump" or is a bicycle hand pump ok to use.

Talking with a friend this morning he has a gorgeous pearl white ltd edition 2000 Venture #1 of 1500! He runs his rear at 45psi & he mostly rides two up.

Than you for any advice. Never had an air shock bike before.

Part of my precheck ride routine is to set the air pressure in tires and shocks. I run about 240lbs.:farmer: and set the rear at 30 psi and fronts always at 7 psi. If full load I set rear at 50 psi.

I often ride two up on my 2009 RSTD but also sometimes just me.

I have never pumped up the shocks (or checked if they are at anything above factory setting) Should I be pumping the shocks when riding two up & will that make for a softer ride for my wife. Do I need to reduce pressure if riding alone.

One up rider weight is around 240lbs two up it's around 400lb+

The bike came with a low pressure gauge, (not pump) Do I really need a "special pump" or is a bicycle hand pump ok to use.

Talking with a friend this morning he has a gorgeous pearl white ltd edition 2000 Venture #1 of 1500! He runs his rear at 45psi & he mostly rides two up.

Than you for any advice. Never had an air shock bike before.

A bike pump is fine for the rear shock but not for the front forks. You won't be able to get accuracy between 1-7 psi and such low pressure is exhausted as soon as you press a gauge on to check. A purpose made pump is the only way to do the forks without risking damage to your seals from too much pressure or a wobbly ride from uneven pressue in each fork.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm a bit confused now, I just read my Handbook & it says:

"To increase spring rate & thereby HARDEN the suspension, increase the air pressure, to decrease the spring rate & thereby SOFTEN the suspension decrease the air pressure".

So if I want a nice soft, comfortable ride, don't I need to decrease the air pressure to soften the suspension (as above)?? Or am I misunderstanding what the handbook is saying?

I have run my shock at 40* and have run at 0*. If you run at 0* or just a little with the weight you mentioned you will bottom out on most bumps. My shock gave out so I put a progressive shock back on, no air. It rides much better with the wife on board than the air shock ever did.

As slowroll stated, the idea of the increased air is to keep from bottoming out. Mainly for the rear in my experience. I usually run with 2PSI in the front and 40 in the rear for similar weight with two up as you Listed. As others said, you need the special pump

So if I get something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AlphaMoto-Harley-Davidson-air-shock-pump-Kawasaki-Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha-PSI-/391814965028

which will be OK to do the back shock, the gauge is 0-60psi that won't be very accurate for 2-5psi on the front?

So do I need something different to do the front? or do I pump it with this & use the LP stick gauge that came with the bike to check the pressure?

That is the pump that will work for both front and rear. The dial increments show the lower amounts. This type of pump is "zero release" so when you are setting the fronts to 2 psi and unscrew it from the fitting you don't lose the small amount of pressure

• 1 year later...