IGNORED

Oil change - mixing oils

XV1100SE

Did an oil change tonight in my RSV. Had two partial jugs of T6 and figured I had enough.

So...drained the oil, changed the filter, poured in the first T6 jug in, poured the second T6 jug in (remember, both were partial)...then noticed the label on the T6 jugs. One was 0W-40 and the other 5w-40. I didn't know T6 came in two specifications. Guess at some point I ran T6 0W-40 when I normally run T6 5W-40.

Okay....so oil level is still low (this is with the bike on the stand so I know the bike was level)....on the shelf I have a bottle and a half of Mobil 1 MX4T 10W40. The T6 is synthetic and so is the MX4T. So I pour in the MX4T.

And of course... because I changed the filter...the oil level is just above the low level. I'd feel more comfortable if there was just a little more.

I know you can mix different specifications of oil as long as they are the same. Mixing synthetic with synthetic is fine...but don't mix synthetic with regular oil.

Things to note from this seamingly normal task :

1) when buying T6 there are different specification. 5W-40 would be the "normal" one to use. Make sure you read the label

2) when using up partial jugs of oil, have a full jug on hand just in case the partial jugs aren't enough

Where are you getting the information about not mixing synthetic and regular oil. What is a synthetic blend? Even the "synthetics" are a blend of something. I would like to read a technical article on this if you have a link?

Where are you getting the information about not mixing synthetic and regular oil. What is a synthetic blend? Even the "synthetics" are a blend of something. I would like to read a technical article on this if you have a link?

Further search found this from Amsoil - saying it is okay - http://blog.amsoil.com/can-i-mix-synthetic-and-conventional-oil/

More :

https://www.thoughtco.com/mixing-regular-and-synthetic-oil-p2-607586

"
According to Mobil Oil, it should be fine to mix oils"

"...not recommended to routinely mix oils because the additives in different products may interact or the oils may become destabilized by the mixture"

I couldn't find the reference to synthetic and regular oil mixing that I saw last night. It will happen if you do full oil changes and switch from the other (not everything drains). So...mixing the two is fine based on the links above.

Unlike grease which can't be mixed. All automotive engine oils must be able to be mixed with all others. It is a legal requirement. Otherwise how could you ever top off your oil when on the road. Mixing 5w-40 with 0w-40 will not hurt except the flow will not be at the 0 level. Same goes for single grade vs multi grade. Synthetic and non-synthetic is more of a stretch and I certainly do not recommend it. But if it happens your engine will not explode over it. That said the Yamaha venture V-4 seems to be very sensitive to the oil used in it as far as noise is concerned.

Mike